Page 156 of 195 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1941

Thread: Resistant Starches page 156

grapes is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by montanamomma View Post
    grapes, it sounds very much to me like you're anemic. It might be worth getting a CBC from your doctor and checking on your hemoglobin and hematocrit numbers, and then doing further testing on your iron levels if indicated. Maybe you have a GI bleed somewhere?
    Hmm. Never thought of that. So that would be #5 on my list of possibilities. Thanks. I'm hoping this is not due to the potato starch. I was pretty excited about the latter!!

grapes is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    The fact it took 10 weeks makes it unlikely to be related, gut biome changes very fast. 1-2 weeks for major changes that revert quickly back to baseline after just a few days.
    THAT is very good information to know, tatertot. Thanks for that.

montanamomma is offline Junior Member
    grapes, I am also hypothyroid. I went pretty severely hypo about eight years ago thanks to a doctor who thought that an active thyroid hormone level 0.1 above the bottom of the range was "normal" and kept insisting I was eating too much and not exercising enough. I finally had to fire her and go to a naturopath to get straightened out. I have been on full thyroid replacement since then and have gotten all of my medical issues straightened out--but I am 20 pounds overweight and cannot get that weight to budge no matter what I do. I have been wheat-free and Paleo for almost three years now. We raise and preserve our own food (garden, chickens, and pigs). I have said many times to my naturopath that I ought to weight much less than I do given the way we eat. We have tried various things to no avail. (This is an issue for me because I NEVER in my life had a weight problem until I became hypo and gained 30 pounds.)

I love Paleo but I have really missed potatoes and beans and rice, so I am excited about trying RS. Yesterday was my first dose of potato starch. We'll see how it goes.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    What about carrots again? RS3 in those?
    Very little, but some. Though probably only RS 2 in raw carrots. It's such a small amount, I doubt if you could retrograde any RS3 by cooking and cooling.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Grapes, another possibility to add to your list... maybe you have a sinus infection? The "movement" headaches and fatigue are prime symptoms for me when I have a sinus infection.

gdot is offline Senior Member
    I had my second cup..........er, I mean teaspoon........... of Potato starch this morning at breakfast.

I must admit - I feel a little more stuffed than usual after just a teaspoon last night and one this morning.

Could it be the power of suggestion? I guess so.......but so far I think I'll not add another teaspoon this evening.

My tummy don't feel so hot! :-0

I will, of course, continue on with a teaspoon a day for a while to see how it goes. No probiotic supplements here. But I do eat fermented foods, also had some not so completely washed raw organic turnips on Sunday, etc. etc. so I'm confident that I'll adapt with time.

Very interesting so far.

quidam is offline Senior Member
    I know some people here like to get their probiotics by way of fermented foods. Does anyone have a easy place to start for someone who has never attempted it?

I agree with feeling stuffed recently. I've been toying with the idea of going down to 2 meals instead of 3 a day, or somehow making some kind of cut. It's absolutely not the power of suggestion with me. The last few days I've been feeling uncomfortably full on food quantities that normally would have left me wanting more.
    That is a good thing, as I do need to lose some weight.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I bought some BRM potato starch a few days ago and have started on 1/2 tsp night and morning, up to 1 tsp now. Not much gas so far, although tummy feels kind of tender/raw. added a probiotic yesterday which gave mild runs. Also seem to be getting more sugar, as is bad food doughnut cravings, any correlation? Also added some GT Kombucha.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 04-17-2014 at 12:45 PM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

montanamomma is offline Junior Member
    Fermenting foods is as easy as falling off a log, mostly. There are some things to watch out for, but we ferment a lot of stuff here, especially kombucha, sauerkraut and pickles.

This is a good place to start: Fermented Food for Beginners: Lacto-Fermented Vegetables | Nourishing Days

If you have specific questions, ask away or PM me.

quidam is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by montanamomma View Post
    Fermenting foods is as easy as falling off a log, mostly. There are some things to watch out for, but we ferment a lot of stuff here, especially kombucha, sauerkraut and pickles.

This is a good place to start: Fermented Food for Beginners: Lacto-Fermented Vegetables | Nourishing Days

If you have specific questions, ask away or PM me.
    Thanks!!!!