Page 111 of 215 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2148

Thread: Resistant Starches page 111

Todmorden - tha be in t'Yorkshire, aye lad.
    Got some potato starch from morrisons in Bradford for 59p, they also had plantain flour which I considered, and many other odd flours that I may well use at some point to experimental baking, but that's another story

The experiment starts on Thursday, coz I'm away tomorrow night and can't be arsed taking it with me
    Twerk - where people in Yorkshire go t'earn a crust.

breath is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post

This study shows resistant starches with meals increase fat oxidation that is biologically relevant and could be important for preventing fat accumulation in the long term by effecting total fat balance:
    Resistant starch consumption promotes lipid oxidation
    I'm new to this thread and its super long so maybe this was discussed before but why is lipid oxidation a good thing?

Uzito is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breath View Post
    I'm new to this thread and its super long so maybe this was discussed before but why is lipid oxidation a good thing?
    lipid oxidation = beta oxidation = burning fat as fuel

breath is offline Junior Member
    Thank you.

Has anything been said about potatoes/rice that has been cooked then cooled then heated back up again? How does that affect the RS levels?

I usually make a large batch of potatoes or rice and eat off of it all week...so is it better to reheat or eat it cold for maximum benefit?

JLowBug is offline Junior Member
    Hey Tim,

Maybe you can or someone else out there can help me with this. I first commented a few pages back when someone posted about developing a rash and wondering if it was related to increases in histamine producing gut bacteria. Since then my rash (maybe eczema? don't know, never had it before) has exploded on my arms, abdomen, legs and behind the knees. Luckily it hasn't reached my face but I'm getting a little worried. Like I mentioned before, I have a problem with jumping in to things too quickly and I added several things around the same time which really mucks up trying to pinpoint anyone thing.

The rash started slowly but steadily persisted. I'm wondering if it started around the time that I started adding the AOR Pro-3. However, I also added some novel (for me) prebiotic foods around the same time as well (dehydrated burdock, dandelion, maca and more recently jerusalem artichoke). More recently I started making my own kefir from grains and while I haven't consumed much directly (because kefir is so strong I have a pretty intense reaction to it) I have definitely come in contact while making and serving it to my family (I'll lick my finger if I get some on it or have a teaspoon to my RS drink). To complicate things further I had also started supplementing with MSM around the same time (I added this after reading some stuff over at Dr. BG's site but I have since stopped).

Maybe this is a histamine situation, something to do with the accumulated effects? I've read that Lactobacillus, Clostridium and Streptococcus are histamine producing. Obviously, they are normal gut residents but maybe I'm just not ready to process the increase in histamine production (maybe I'm answering my own question)? My plan right now is to stop everything for a couple of days (even RS which I've been getting from Bob's PS and Berry Farm's Plantain flour). I'm afraid that the answer is going to be that I need to go much, much more slowly (my least favorite thing to do!). I'm pretty sure my bug numbers are low and some or several are absent entirely.

I'm probably leaving out important details (I've also had an increase in brain fog and fatigue) but I think those are the relevant details. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will probably post this over on Dr. BG's site as well.

Thanks!

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JLowBug View Post
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    JLowBug - You are into uncharted territory here. When you throw everything at a problem, without really knowing what the problem really is, it's hard to tell what's going on. You have the right idea--stop everything for a couple weeks and re-start in a controlled fashion.

If I could recommend a path for you to take, it would be to ensure you eat a diet with ample potato/rice/beans cooked, cooled, and reheated (which just answered the question above yours!) to maximize RS, completely avoid wheat, vegetable oils, and any other known allergens, make sure you are exercising/walking, sleeping good, and not drinking alcohol to excess. Then after a couple weeks, assess your situation, consider some stool testing to look for known pathogens, maybe even get a good doc on board with you.

THEN, start with probiotics and low level RS supplement if you want.

Good luck!
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    I tried a couple of potato days last week. Weight down just a bit, did it again this week, but I discovered a food sensitivity. Joint Soreness, tingling in the mouth eating potatoes. Abort.
    My energy on those 125 or more grams of carbs went through the roof. So after being mostly VLC for years, my goal is 80 - 100 grams of carbs per day, keeping fat a bit more in check. Love the energy.

Paleophil is offline Senior Member

maddieaddie is offline Member
    Learning about resistant starch and potato hack, a bit late in the game I know. I tried potatoes only for 3 days last week, then weekend of eating out and red wine, then started potato hack again Monday. For reals this time! No weight loss yet, but I am feeling a little bloated. I have been having 2-3 Yukon gold or red potatoes, nuked with broth and water, 4 times a day. I will try to skip a meal when I am able, but I'm still hungry for 4. Also, just nuked taters for tomorrow. I will start eating cold for increased RS. Thank you tatertot and everyone else who posts here and at FTA! With all of this new-found reading material, how am I ever going to get any sleep!?

And for all the tater haters, it's day 3 and I still love potatoes!

maddieaddie is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by maddieaddie View Post
    And for all the tater haters, it's day 3 and I still love potatoes!
    Apologies to the tater haters. It's only day 2. It is possible, but highly improbable, that I will also hate them by tomorrow.