Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2044

Thread: Resistant Starches page 103

Theta is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    tatertot, for the drink, it offers a choice of 3 prebiotics:
    4 tbsp of Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch Unmodified or
    4tbsp of Plantain Flour or
    1 sachet of Bimuno

Are these 3 prebiotics the same? I put a sachet of Bimuno in my kefir/4 tbsp PS drink. Should I not be doing this?
    Last edited by Theta; 03-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    tatertot, for the drink, it offers a choice of 3 prebiotics:
    4 tbsp of Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch Unmodified or
    4tbsp of Plantain Flour or
    1 sachet of Bimuno

Are these 3 prebiotics the same? I put a sachet of Bimuno in my kefir/4 tbsp PS drink. Should I not be doing this?
    I'd never heard of Bimuno before today--it's transGOS, the same stuff they put in baby formula. I would keep using it as you are. Can't see where it would hurt. It's made from milk to simulate the fiber found in human breast milk.
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Theta is offline Member
    Thanks, tatertot. Bimuno is the gold standard prebiotic, according to Bill Lagakos.

Quote Originally Posted by Theta View Post
    Thanks, tatertot. Bimuno is the gold standard prebiotic, according to Bill Lagakos.
    Oh, of course! I remember Bill talking about it now. Is it now available in the US?
    Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Theta is offline Member
    No, sadly, only from the UK.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My gut has been at a serious standstill lately. I remembered the other day that I had some good results taking the "stinky cheese supplement" (what my husband called it, aka. cal-mag butyrate) 3x a day. I only just started the NOW probiotic late last week. I'm still doing 1 T potato starch morning & evening, still having weird dreams. I'm entirely reliant on cascara sagrada right now because saline laxatives like magnesium citrate & high doses of Vit C haven't been working consistently for me.

What I'm trying to figure out
    -when to take the potato starch & probiotic (with food? on an empty stomach before food or between meals?)
    -if I add psyllium husk powder, when to take (with the potato starch?)
    -if I eat cooled potatoes, should I take a probiotic with them and skip a potato starch dose?
    -if I need the cascara sagrada to have a BM, when to take it in relation to all other supplements? Not sure if it will affect how I process/digest those, esp. the probiotics & PS.

I might get the butyrate supplement again (probably this one) after my trip to London. Right now, I just need regularity. Overall, my gut feels better & stomach is so much flatter/more comfortable since I've been taking the cascara sagrada & having a BM regularly, better than it has felt in a long time. I've read a lot of good and bad things about cascara sagrada and I'm really nervous about continuing it, but it's the only complete relief I've had in the past 1.5 yrs since this all started.

What started my chronic constipation: coming off yet another treatment of Candex, used to treat persistent yeast infection. I just returned from a trip a lakehouse with friends. I swam in the lake there and I wonder sometimes if I might have picked up a parasite.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member
    I just bought prescript-assist and primal defense ultra probiotics...this will be in complimentary to the natural probiotics (kimchi, homemade yogurt, and cheese), natural prebiotics (dehydrated potato and plaintain chips, and semi-green bananas) i will be taking, and potato starch

Will let you guys know how i go

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    How many grams RS is a good goal while taking SBO's and how many later, I guess maintenance dose?

As far as the RS 2 how many g RS in a cup of cooked and cooked parboiled rice?

I'm adding 1T PS to my morning smoothie which also has 1/2 plantain or whole green banana, sometimes both. Is that too much RS?

Does freezing green bananas or plantains reduce the RS? If so, how much?

As far as sleep benefits, is it better to take some PS before bed. As far as GI benefits, is it better to take all at once along w probiotics. I'm up to 1T an and another before bed.

Thank you!!!!
    K

Here is what I think is a good dose of everything, along with daily servings of fermented foods and some good probiotics:

Daily, split over 2-3 meals and a few snacks, you should strive to get about 25g of 'fiber' + 20-40g of RS.

The 25g of fiber should include about 5-10g of inulin and FOS. I know that sounds incredibly complicated, but it's not so bad. What I have been thinking is that eating a regular diet that includes a daily big-ass salad, complete with at least one or two inulin-rich foods such as asparagus, raw onions/leeks/garlic, Jerusalem Artichoke, dandelion greens, etc... would do the trick for this part of the requirement.

As these foods are not well-represented in most people daily big-ass salads, supplementing with a prebiotic inulin/FOS brand would be prudent. Something like this: Inulin/FOS Supp

For the 20-40g of RS, you could get it from food fairly easily, several servings of cooked, cooled, cold or reheated rice, potatoes, beans; a green banana, etc... or supplement with potato starch figuring about 7g/TBS.

The psyllium husk may or may not be super helpful, studies show it helps move the RS along, but also any kind of fiber does the same thing. The Inulin/FOS is another prebiotic, just like RS and they seem to work well in conjunction with each other to grow even more good gut flora.

So, bottom line: Try to get 20-40g of RS and 5-10g of Inulin/FOS and also get some 'regular old fiber' from psyllium husk or veggies.

Here's a cheat sheet for the supplements:
    Suggested Prebiotic Supplements (Substitute 1 for each meal with no vegetables):

Inulin (with or without FOS) - 1TBS

Psyllium Husk Fiber - 1sp

Glucomanan - 1TBS

Guar Gum - ½ tsp

Larch Arabinogalactin - 1TBS

Galactooligosaccharide (sold as Bimuno) - 1 packet

Pectin - 1tsp

And a chart showing Inulin/FOS in some common foods:

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member
    You are so knowledgeable tatertot lol...do you think two tablespoon of potato starch plus fermented foods plus a handful of dehydrated raw potato and plaintain chips with veggies be a good diet to see the benefits ?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk