Page 102 of 205 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2043

Thread: Resistant Starches page 102

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have rosacea, and I think it is worsening with the potato starch, as well as giving me night indigestion that scared me into taking some nitro in case it was my wonky heart. After a couple bad nights this week, I stopped the starch (2T. max) and my sleep is improving. However, since my bowels were upset, leading to almost diarrhea, it might have been a stray bug that never quite defeated me. Whatever, even though nightshade allergy is a possibility, I shall finish my bag of starch within a few days and reassess the situation. Still have a pound of Red Mill in reserve.;-)

Paleophil is offline Senior Member
    Richard and Tatertot have both recommended in the past to mix things up - using multiple sources of RS, and perhaps switching between them, and going some days with little to none, IIRC. If you think about the sorts of traditional "gourmet" diets that Paul Jaminet talks about, they normally don't involve eating the same exact thing every day.

Both Richard and Tatertot and Dr. BG also talk about some or most people probably needing probiotics. Theoretically, some of the symptoms that folks report may come from not having enough of the necessary bacteria to consume the type of RS they are eating and to generate the enzymes that break down the potentially toxic parts of foods. Some people have reported lessening of symptoms after adding various probiotics, either from food sources or capsules.
    Last edited by Paleophil; 03-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Finding a diet you can tolerate is not the same as fixing what's wrong.
    Notes I may point to:
    1) WARNING: beware of chronic very low carb diets, especially ones low in resistant starch and other Paleo/Primal prebiotics
    2) I try to do what works best for me, and often fail. YMMV. Don't imitate me--find what works for you. The only fact I know for certain is that of my ignorance. Iím not prescribing.
    3) It may aid discussion if neither of us tries to speak for the other

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by incorky View Post
    Hi Barnyard,
    I never post much but thought I'd reply to your query. I don't have rosacea (i think) but I've developed major flushing, itching and severe hives after using potato starch off and on for some months.
    I believe this is related to histamine. High histamine in the gut can be formed from bacterial fermentation. I've had to eliminate coffee, fermented foods (no kefir, kraut, yogurt, cheese, fermented meats, avoid aged meats) nightshades, potato starch and alcohol to get things calmed down. I imagine I have leaky gut, possibly SIBO, and a lot of bacteria that make histamine. Lactobacillus make a lot of histamine. There are also bacteria that produce the enzyme that breaks down histamine. I'm trying sbo's right now and they don't seem to be problematic, but I'm proceeding cautiously. Just my experience so far.
    KC
    Thanks for that incorky, damn, I like all those foods (but not a drinker), it would be hard for me to give all those up.....I am going to try eliminating nightshades only for now, see what happens......
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Rhyno is offline Member
    I have read from Richards blog that you can re-heat the rice in a pan and it won't lose its resistance, can this be done with potatoes as well? Thanks in advance ya'll!!

incorky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Thanks for that incorky, damn, I like all those foods (but not a drinker), it would be hard for me to give all those up.....I am going to try eliminating nightshades only for now, see what happens......
    Hi Barnyard, I don't think I need to give everything up forever, just until things settle down. Coffee has been most problematic for me. I think that if I can get my gut biome straightened out, I should be able to tolerate more of those things my diet. Here's some info from the low histamine chef site regarding probiotics, I don't think she's looked into SBO's at all yet:
    Histamine degrading/anti-inflamatory:
    Bifidobacterium infants
    Bifidobacterium longum
    Lactobacillus reuteri (raises histamine in the short term but elevates anti inflammatory cAMP levels)
    But also Lactobacillus plantarum (lowers/inhibits tyramine and putrescine)

Potentially…
    Saccharomyces-Boulardii: I found a number of studies on its effectiveness in treating gastroenteritis, which some researchers have linked to high histamine/mast cell issues.

Neutral strains…
    Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus Lactis, Lactococcus Lactis, and Lactobacillus plant arum which do not have any effect on biogenic amines like histamine and tyramine.

But not…
    Lactobacillus casei (produces histamine and tyramine)
    Lactobacillus Bulgaricus (increases histamine alone)

Good luck as you figure things out!

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    Thanks incorky and bluetoad, think I will try other RS sources, and look into probiotics more in-depth
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Rhyno is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueToad View Post
    Yes. Supposedly it is best to use baked potatoes and let them cool for 24 hours. Even if you don't wait that long, at least let them cool. Then you can heat them up a bit and still keep the rs.
    Thank you, BT!! It is much appreciated!!

briterian is offline Junior Member
    Has anyone see potato starch effect cholesterol either positively or negatively? My CRP has dropped (.7 to .4) which is cool but my LDL-P and Small-LDL have not moved much and even went up a little bit. I know Robb Wolf's dropped when doing RS but mine has not. Would love to hear if any other folks have info on the impact of RS on their blood sugar.

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I just placed an order in iHerb and they gave me a friend code for $10 off any amount order to share w a first time customer. They ship free on orders over $20 otherwise shipping is pretty low and pretty quick.
    Here's the code:

CZN010

Also, I ordered a few things at amazon so between both I am going to add done more probiotics and get started on a variation of the super 'evil smoothie' recommended here on the FTA blog:

http://freetheanimal.com/2014/02/pro...t-obesity.html

Someone mentions primal defense ultra on sale but I can't find it now ....

Thx!
    K

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Primal defense ultra on sale at vitaminshop.com, $25.72 web only special but look around for coupons/ promo codes or see if your local vitamin shoppe will match the price.

K

http://m.vitaminshoppe.com/mobile/st...7-001b2166c2c0