Page 101 of 208 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2071

Thread: Resistant Starches page 101

smit is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    I can't really give much good advice on the coconut oil thing, just something i read along the way. You'll have to figure that one out yourself, I doubt CO is very harmful in the grand scheme of things. Confusion abounds in this area.

As to probiotics, I am now a believer and if I could take this whole thing back and start over, I would have started out talking about RS and Probiotics in the same sentence. For many, maybe even most people, just adding RS/prebiotics to the diet in meaningful amounts will result in nothing but a better gut, but for the other huge chunk of people with very messed up guts from bad diet, genetics, or diet their gut flora is trashed and they need to look at replenishing with some targeted probiotics, unfortunately, confusion also abounds here and I have been doing a lot of reading and collaborating with some pretty smart people on what we really need.

I think that pretty good advice is that if RS doesn't work wonders pretty quickly, like within a couple weeks, then you need to start loading up on Lacto/Bifido strains of all types with the L plantarum being especially important and also what they refer to as SBOs (soil-based organisms). Prescript Assist, AOR Probiotic-3, and Mark Sisson's Primal Flora (?). Also the Sacchy yeast stuff. All these different strains have bio-film busting agents and really thrive in an environment supplied with the high RS diet. None of them work very well in the absence of RS (or high plant fiber). Straight potato starch probably isn't the best RS source either, but needs to be mixed with other fibers and fermentable fibers. Eating a couple spoons of potato starch along with a good paleo Big-Ass-Salad a day type diet is perfect. A keto diet with potato starch as only fermentable fiber is probably not ideal, but an improvement over NO fiber.

And, again, this whole thing can be done with real foods. Once your gut is healed and the pathogens cleared, a diet rich in plants containing RS, colors, and fiber and probiotic microbes (kefir, yogurt, sauerkraut, etc..) should be just fine to keep a gut in good working order.
    Thanks Tatertot for such a comprehensive reply.

Decided to take your advice on the probiotics and have ordered some pre-script assist as well as separate saccharomyces Boulardii and L Plantarum supplements.

Received the potato starch/flour yesterday and it reacts as you described when added to water (sinks to the bottom and forms a hard clump) so it's definitely starch as opposed to flour. I made some chocolate with it last night with VCO, raw cacao powder, raw honey, Himalayan salt and vanilla extract, melted it all down together at very low heat and then when it had cooled almost completely added a few spoonfuls of PS (probably around 25-30 g), chucked some broken macadamias and crushed blueberries into the mix and then froze it in top of freezer for 30 mins, Voila! RS chocolate! tastes great, and the PS is virtually undetectable.

I read on one of the RS food lists that cooled roast potatoes contain significantly more RS than cooled boiled/steamed potatoes, 15-20 g per 100 g iirc, as opposed to around 5 g for boiled, do you agree that roasting is the best method?

Thanks again Tater for all your help/advice.

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    Smit,
    Your chocolate recipe sounds delicious!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe
    K

smit is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarie View Post
    Smit,
    Your chocolate recipe sounds delicious!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe
    K
    No problem, it was pretty tasty! If you decide to make one I find that around the same weight of VCO to cacao powder is about right, this time I think I used around 25 grams of each, amount of honey will depend on how sweet you like it, I quite like chocolate to be bitter so add just a half teaspoon or so. Rest of it you can play around with as you like. Might be ok to add some chopped up unripe banana for a bit more RS.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    If one is lazy, PS or mungbean powder can be mixed with equal volumes of cocoa and water to make a sort of cake icing. I mix in a pinch of Mount Hagen coffee crystals and sweetener if I'm feeling fancy.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Barnyard is offline Senior Member
    I have an issue that I don't know if it has been addressed on this thread......I have rosacea. Someone stated their rosacea went away when they stopped nightshades. I don't eat a lot of nightshades other than baked and cooled potatoes (which I haven't eaten for 2 weeks cause I'm traveling) but I have continued to have 1-2 tsp. potato starch daily, as I believe in the science behind this 'resistant starch movement' lol......but my rosacea has flared a little recently, and has move from my forehead down to below my eyes on my face. I was thinking I would try eliminating the potato starch for a while, see if it helps. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated!
    The life I have today is far better than I deserve.......

M, 56, 6'0
    SW - 192
    CW - 175
    GW - 165-170

Current addiction: ice cream (and sugar in general).....doing battle with it!

Chupo is offline Member
    Has anyone seen this study? Prebiotic feeding elevates central brain derived neurotrophic factor, N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor subunits and D-serine.

The influence of the gut microbiota on brain chemistry has been convincingly demonstrated in rodents. In the absence of gut bacteria, the central expression of brain derived neurotropic factor, (BDNF), and N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor (NMDAR) subunits are reduced, whereas, oral probiotics increase brain BDNF, and impart significant anxiolytic effects. We tested whether prebiotic compounds, which increase intrinsic enteric microbiota, also affected brain BDNF and NMDARs. In addition, we examined whether plasma from prebiotic treated rats released BDNF from human SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells, to provide an initial indication of mechanism of action. Rats were gavaged with fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), galacto-oligosaccharides (GOS) or water for five weeks, prior to measurements of brain BDNF, NMDAR subunits and amino acids associated with glutamate neurotransmission (glutamate, glutamine, and serine and alanine enantiomers). Prebiotics increased hippocampal BDNF and NR1 subunit expression relative to controls. The intake of GOS also increased hippocampal NR2A subunits, and frontal cortex NR1 and d-serine. Prebiotics did not alter glutamate, glutamine, l-serine, l-alanine or d-alanine concentrations in the brain, though GOSfeeding raised plasma d-alanine. Elevated levels of plasma peptide YY (PYY) after GOS intake was observed. Plasma from GOS rats increased the release of BDNF from SH-SY5Y cells, but not in the presence of PYY antisera. The addition of synthetic PYY to SH-SY5Y cell cultures, also elevated BDNF secretion. We conclude that prebiotic-mediated proliferation of gut microbiota in rats, like probiotics, increases brain BDNF expression, possibly through the involvement of gut hormones. The effect of GOS on components of central NMDAR signalling was greater than FOS, and may reflect the proliferative potency of GOS on microbiota. Our data therefore, provide a sound basis to further investigate the utility of prebiotics in the maintenance of brain health and adjunctive treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders
    I find this interesting as increasing BDNF is thought to be one of the reasons ketogenic diets are good for brain function.

incorky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    I have an issue that I don't know if it has been addressed on this thread......I have rosacea. Someone stated their rosacea went away when they stopped nightshades. I don't eat a lot of nightshades other than baked and cooled potatoes (which I haven't eaten for 2 weeks cause I'm traveling) but I have continued to have 1-2 tsp. potato starch daily, as I believe in the science behind this 'resistant starch movement' lol......but my rosacea has flared a little recently, and has move from my forehead down to below my eyes on my face. I was thinking I would try eliminating the potato starch for a while, see if it helps. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Any suggestions or experience would be appreciated!
    Hi Barnyard,
    I never post much but thought I'd reply to your query. I don't have rosacea (i think) but I've developed major flushing, itching and severe hives after using potato starch off and on for some months.
    I believe this is related to histamine. High histamine in the gut can be formed from bacterial fermentation. I've had to eliminate coffee, fermented foods (no kefir, kraut, yogurt, cheese, fermented meats, avoid aged meats) nightshades, potato starch and alcohol to get things calmed down. I imagine I have leaky gut, possibly SIBO, and a lot of bacteria that make histamine. Lactobacillus make a lot of histamine. There are also bacteria that produce the enzyme that breaks down histamine. I'm trying sbo's right now and they don't seem to be problematic, but I'm proceeding cautiously. Just my experience so far.
    KC

briterian is offline Junior Member
    Does anyone think they should take a break now and then from potato starch. I've been doing it daily since dec and just curious if a week rest is effective?

kmarie is offline Senior Member
    I read something on FTA about taking it on and off, can't reminder how many days it mentioned.
    K

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have rosacea, and I think it is worsening with the potato starch, as well as giving me night indigestion that scared me into taking some nitro in case it was my wonky heart. After a couple bad nights this week, I stopped the starch (2T. max) and my sleep is improving. However, since my bowels were upset, leading to almost diarrhea, it might have been a stray bug that never quite defeated me. Whatever, even though nightshade allergy is a possibility, I shall finish my bag of starch within a few days and reassess the situation. Still have a pound of Red Mill in reserve.;-)