Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF - Skipping dinner instead of breakfast?/Evaluate my plan page

BoldAsLove is offline Member

IF - Skipping dinner instead of breakfast?/Evaluate my plan

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a 25 y/o female, 5 5" and 129lbs (ish). I drastically reduced my wheat intake for the first time about 2 years ago. I love how I feel when I'm eating primal, although I have way too many slip ups. Usually these are in social situations where CW food abounds. Usually when I cheat it is with sweets - I've long ago lost any craving for bread, pasta, etc. I'm trying to be more committed to the primal lifestyle. It makes me feel great ... My energy levels are more balanced. I have pretty severe stomach issues which are greatly reduced when eating primally. Strangely, eating this way also seems to reduce my endometriosis symptoms. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyways, lately I've been IFing ... I tried a 24 hour fast which wasn't too bad. The last few weeks I've been eating in a 6 hour window. It seems that everyone does IF by skipping breakfast. However, I'm pretty ravenous in the mornings. I've found it a lot easier to skip dinner. Is there any downside to this?

Also, I've love your input on my eating plan. This is my typical day.

M-F:

Breakfast (8:30) - Big plate of scrambled Eggs and Bacon - sometimes a veggie omelet with bacon.

Lunch (~2-2:30) - HUGE plate of cooked vegetables, ranging from spaghetti squash, other types of squash, portabella mushrooms, peppers, brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, etc. etc. I love veggies! I usually pair this with either bacon (I also love bacon), chicken or turkey. I get my lunches from my amazing office cafeteria, which uses organic meats but not organic veggies (no idea why one but not the other). The veggies are cooked in chicken broth rather than oil.

Snacks - I have a snack maybe twice a week.... typically pistachios or almonds or an apple.

Dinner - Been skipping this lately, broth or a chai tea.

Weekends:

I usually buy a whole chicken and pick at it through the weekend. I cook my own veggies. Most weekends I do brunch with friends, where I get an omelet. My weekend cheats are booze. I like red wine, but I also enjoy craft beers. At brunch I'll have a mimosa or two. I also tend to eat a little more fruit on the weekend.

Exercise: I'm a seasonal exerciser I guess. I'm kind of hibernating in the winter. I'm an attorney and I work long hours so it is hard to find time. When it is warmer/lighter out I get up at 5:30am and hit the gym. I'll also take my pup on 4 mile walks when its warm. I like lifting weights (I was a competitive weightlifter) ... I'll probably pick all of this up again in the spring. Right now, I walk 1.2 miles to/from work and I run around with my pup at the dog park for 1/2 an hour every day... she plays more when I'm sprinting around with her.

I suspect I'll get a comment about my fat content since my main source of fat is bacon, sometimes nuts, and not much else. We don't have avacados at the office cafeteria and I have a strange aversion to olive oil on salads and such. I can't eat red meat or dairy, my stomach hates it ... these IBS like symptoms probably stem from my endo.

In any case, do I need to worry so much about fat while I'm trying to lose a little more weight? I feel satiated, I'm not having hunger pangs or anything. I feel my best when ~122lbs and lifting weights. The 7lb difference will probably take a while, my body is notoriously stubborn with losing weight (although the same goes for gaining when I'm being bad!).

Okay, kind of a rambling first post. My apologies. But any input/advice is welcome!
    Last edited by BoldAsLove; 12-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Cossycarrick is offline Member
    I also fast 18hrs a day and i've read its the best for losing weight. Also I fast for 3-4days once a month. I would eat still twice at the weekend but just later. Will up the primal living after Xmas as I love red wine & chocolate so just enjoying the holidays

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I used to do 24 hour fasts and they worked WELL - early dinner or late lunch, 24+ hour fast ending in a workout, then eat dinner when I got home.

Now, I usually fast for breakfast and/or lunch, but sometimes dinner instead... my #1 thing is: eat when you're hungry, don't eat when you're not.

I find when I eat primal, I have no menstrual cramps (they have been completely debilitating at points in my life), but I take care to eat grass-fed beef/dairy and pastured chicken/eggs, humanely treated pork, etc., avoid junk oils as neurotically as is realistic, avoid soy in my chocolate, etc. I think one or all of those things are HUGE in helping the cramps (and possibly your endo?)

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Do what works. Try it for a while and see how you feel, see if you're getting the changes you want. Assess and adjust.

feren6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldAsLove View Post
    Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a 25 y/o female, 5 5" and 129lbs (ish). I drastically reduced my wheat intake for the first time about 2 years ago. I love how I feel when I'm eating primal, although I have way too many slip ups. Usually these are in social situations where CW food abounds. Usually when I cheat it is with sweets - I've long ago lost any craving for bread, pasta, etc. I'm trying to be more committed to the primal lifestyle. It makes me feel great ... My energy levels are more balanced. I have pretty severe stomach issues which are greatly reduced when eating primally. Strangely, eating this way also seems to reduce my endometriosis symptoms. Anyone know anything about this?

Anyways, lately I've been IFing ... I tried a 24 hour fast which wasn't too bad. The last few weeks I've been eating in a 6 hour window. It seems that everyone does IF by skipping breakfast. However, I'm pretty ravenous in the mornings. I've found it a lot easier to skip dinner. Is there any downside to this?

Also, I've love your input on my eating plan. This is my typical day.

M-F:

Breakfast (8:30) - Big plate of scrambled Eggs and Bacon - sometimes a veggie omelet with bacon.

Lunch (~2-2:30) - HUGE plate of cooked vegetables, ranging from spaghetti squash, other types of squash, portabella mushrooms, peppers, brussel sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, etc. etc. I love veggies! I usually pair this with either bacon (I also love bacon), chicken or turkey. I get my lunches from my amazing office cafeteria, which uses organic meats but not organic veggies (no idea why one but not the other). The veggies are cooked in chicken broth rather than oil.

Snacks - I have a snack maybe twice a week.... typically pistachios or almonds or an apple.

Dinner - Been skipping this lately, broth or a chai tea.

Weekends:

I usually buy a whole chicken and pick at it through the weekend. I cook my own veggies. Most weekends I do brunch with friends, where I get an omelet. My weekend cheats are booze. I like red wine, but I also enjoy craft beers. At brunch I'll have a mimosa or two. I also tend to eat a little more fruit on the weekend.

Exercise: I'm a seasonal exerciser I guess. I'm kind of hibernating in the winter. I'm an attorney and I work long hours so it is hard to find time. When it is warmer/lighter out I get up at 5:30am and hit the gym. I'll also take my pup on 4 mile walks when its warm. I like lifting weights (I was a competitive weightlifter) ... I'll probably pick all of this up again in the spring. Right now, I walk 1.2 miles to/from work and I run around with my pup at the dog park for 1/2 an hour every day... she plays more when I'm sprinting around with her.

I suspect I'll get a comment about my fat content since my main source of fat is bacon, sometimes nuts, and not much else. We don't have avacados at the office cafeteria and I have a strange aversion to olive oil on salads and such. I can't eat red meat or dairy, my stomach hates it ... these IBS like symptoms probably stem from my endo.

In any case, do I need to worry so much about fat while I'm trying to lose a little more weight? I feel satiated, I'm not having hunger pangs or anything. I feel my best when ~122lbs and lifting weights. The 7lb difference will probably take a while, my body is notoriously stubborn with losing weight (although the same goes for gaining when I'm being bad!).

Okay, kind of a rambling first post. My apologies. But any input/advice is welcome!
    Hey there, welcome to MDA!

Your plan looks great. The only reason why people (including myself) don't fast at night is because of social reasons.

You don't need to worry too much about the fat, only if you don't see yourself losing weight in time. And if that's the case, I'd just lose the nuts. Well, the almonds and pistachios at least

Just go with what works for you and then keep refining your food choices until you reach your goals. Maintenance is much easier from there.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    There's no rule written in stone for fasting. Do what works for you.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm always hungry in the mornings too.

I tend to eat 2 meals a day. Breakfast and either lunch or dinner - if I'm going to be home in the evening then I tend to skip lunch and eat dinner, but if I'm not going to be home until 8pm or after I eat lunch and then skip dinner.

Seems to be working for me - although I've still more fat to lose.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    For me evening eating works as I get up before the sun for work, don't really have access to food all day unless I bring it, then any fitness type activity is in the evening, but if that works better for you rock it out!
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

BoldAsLove is offline Member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Feren, I really don't do nuts that often, like I said, mayyybe a handful twice a week.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    People normally skip breakfast because they are not hungry in the morning & sleep better after supper + it is a family meal. I do not completely skip supper, as I have to cook and serve the family meal, and it will be too difficult psycologiclaly, but I have it rather light (I eat fruit with tea satisfying sweets & treats demand).

I need food while I am at work, because I get up around 4 am, cooking meals and prep lunches, that start work around 6 am, and work in the office, where being not fed leads to all sorts of problems with concentration. So I mass my food around work hours, and I train either before work after breakfast or after work after lunch. I train better fed & normally do not feel hungry right after training, so that works great.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast