Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Any Aspies out there? page 4

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sorry, Knifegill. I didn't mean to offend. And I do understand where you are coming from, and I didn't mean to take the words from your mouth and contort it into something else. It is actually people like you that I admire the most, because you have seen some of the worst despair that humans could ever imagine, and have still come out alive. You would definitely have more understanding than I would ever learn. And probably one of the stronger people I've (sort of) met.

I think we're on the same page, though. But yeah. Really dislike those who look for handouts in general :\

Rojo is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    +1 Yeah, sounds like an excuse for people to diagnose their lack of openness and treating other people like shit as a disease.
    Well, I was kidding --- kinda.

I've had online arguments from people on the other end of the political spectrum that have left me scratching my head. It started to occur to me that many of them lacked the ability to think abtractly. You talk about political economy and they start yammering on about their lazy cousin on welfare, etc...

I'm starting to think I should go a little easier. FTR, I took a Meyers-Briggs test recently and my "type" nailed me to a "T". I agree with knifegill that it's a bit liberating, in the so I'm not lazy/crazy/stupid sense. We're all wired differently.

Now, to your point, it doesn't give you permission to just give into your diagnosis, i.e. "can't help it -- Aspie!". But it does it give you permission to be a gentle and patient with yourself. That's a good thing.
    Last edited by Rojo; 12-20-2012 at 03:26 PM.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Well, I was kidding --- kinda.
    If you are referring to that period when I was snippy and depressed, I agree with you in that I can only hope for people to be openminded and a bit more patient during that period. So yeah, it really depends on the other person's tolerance and openmindedness. Unfortunately, for the masses, the only way to make others patient with you is if they apply an overarching label, such as a disease, that others can also abuse.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I see kids like you all the time. They break my heart daily. How wonderful you have overcome. What helped? What didn't? What can I do for those kids to get them to where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Who's looking for handouts? What sort of excuse-making lazy scumbag tax-increasing thieves would take a serious condition like autism and exploit it? Sadly, plenty of filthy scoundrels who think they deserve to live for free, they will. And that's sad for people who actually need the help. I'm lucky I was admitted to state residential rehab and taught how to think. I'd be dead otherwise. I DID need the help, ONCE, whereupon I learned how to fish. But fishing class is hard to find, expensive, and there are few qualified teachers. All the smug rich people who talk about teaching a man to fish are the same people who are too busy to teach fishing class. So you've got thieves on both sides, the rich and the poor, and people who want the truth but can't find it stuck in the middle grasping for answers.

I won't pretend there aren't poor people who abuse the system, I've known some.
    I won't pretend there aren't rich people who help nobody, I've known far more.
    But for those with no grasp on life, I have sympathy. They only want to be happy and find food, maybe warmth. Don't pretend there aren't honest people who just need a little education to learn how to build a life and become productive. Honest people like me get born to useless parents and let out to pasture far too early. I was given up on, a lost cause until I got arrested enough times that a judge offered me rehab. Of course I took it! I wanted to be better. I was that kid begging for money to buy weed and beer. I was so lost and confused I just wanted to numb everything away. Now I know a better life, thanks to tax-funded state rehab. The church never taught me how to live. My parents didn't know how. So rest assured, some of the people who need the help are the same ones getting it.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by valmason01 View Post
    This does concern me Drumroll. For many kids the only way they will get help is through the public schools so it will be interesting to see what happens with one more hoop to have to jump through. I love my job and I do it because I truly believe in education. I am not blind to hte problems in the school system however. Most are caused by those making the decisions who have never sat in a classroom and really don't give a damn about anything other than money.

Oops...sorry. My ongoing rant. In short I agree with you Drumroll, it is concerning. We will just have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for what everyone is saying! It's important and can help others!
    valmason, I agree with you 100%. It's more than a bit ironic that they're making the change right now, just as the local and state governments around the country are tightening their belts. Just as money is becoming scarcer, they've found another creative way to save a few bills. "I know, let's make it harder for people to get the diagnoses they need in order that we don't have to provide services to as many people as we should be!"

I realize that if you have a diagnoses now, they probably won't strip it from you even if you don't meet the new criteria. It's the future generations that have to contend with the stricter diagnoses criteria that worry me. They won't have access to the services they need. Nobody is asking for a handout, but some of these people who have legitimate need for services will no longer be able to get them.

Gah, people developing diagnostic criteria should be REQUIRED to have personal experience with Autism, either by dealing with an Autistic family member or being one themselves, not just some guy in a lab coat somewhere who thinks he can pick apart the intricacies of an Autistic's mind and categorize it to everyone.

Wow so much here to consider...

Now, to your point, it doesn't give you permission to just give into your diagnosis, i.e. "can't help it -- Aspie!". But it does it give you permission to be a gentle and patient with yourself. That's a good thing.
    Yes! I have been around people (adults) who are assholes and will say.."ASpergers! can't help it!". If you are aware enough to know you are an asshole you can help it On the other token, many make themselves miserable because they don't know why they act the way they do. When they understand it they can be patient and loving with themselves and work to make changes.

Unfortunately, for the masses, the only way to make others patient with you is if they apply an overarching label, such as a disease, that others can also abuse.
    Sad but true. Compassion is not common in the human species.

Gah, people developing diagnostic criteria should be REQUIRED to have personal experience with Autism, either by dealing with an Autistic family member or being one themselves, not just some guy in a lab coat somewhere who thinks he can pick apart the intricacies of an Autistic's mind and categorize it to everyone.
    Ohhhhh...so much I could say. No one ever should be allowed to make decisions for ANY GROUP of people without having walked a mile in their shoes. Yet they do and consider themselves justified in the doing. They make me very very very angry.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Valmason. I grew up "on a diet". Standard American crap. I was always the tallest person, very active but different. Blah blah blah. I've know my husband since 14 (45 now) so he and I actually able to put lots together for adult history that parent do for their kids.

Biggest change for me was 1) eating a really breakfast chocked full of protein. Protein has been the best regulator for me. Reading about what grains do, was the next big leap for me. Seriously like trying to get off the crap is like kicking a bad habit. Still affect me sometimes. Like today came home from Christmas shopping. One of sons made taquitos. I hate days where that crap actually smells good.

Besides protein adding fat to my diet was the other kicker. I feel full. Back in the old days I'd get panicked if I didn't eat on time. Rob would say he thought I actually turned green. The other thing is I don't feel as twitchy. Shopping and eating has become normal for my husband and I now. So it's no big deal. We make the choices and aren't reliant on a parent. I have a cousin whose son has Celiac's and ends up pretty sick sometimes because mom find it too difficult to cook differently for him. Hmmmmm talk about selfish. I thought having to take your son to the hospital is difficult not cooking healthy. IMHO.

As an adult we choose what comes in the house. Kids eat what's at the table. I know they eat other stuff out of the house, but at least they are making good choices here.

Since I have the eating down, they next thing my hubby and I are starting to work on is more of the sensory diet. That is the real hard stuff. I do find that the equivalent of lifting heavy things truly helps. That plumb tired out feeling is a real release. For example, I just finished shoveling snow/ and feel terrific where I came home from the store twitchy form all the people and now I feel relaxed.

Oh and to the people fighting on this thread - go play somewhere else please.
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

So protein regulated behavior, mood, etc....? I have one little guy whose father sends in fruit loops for lunch. Please remember this father really does care and is doing the best he can with what he has which isn't much. As a speech therapist I am not even a nutritionist who can make different suggestions but I am desperate to at least find anecdotals I can share. Thanks so much for being willing to tell your stories!

Quote Originally Posted by jmday View Post
    Valmason. I grew up "on a diet". Standard American crap. I was always the tallest person, very active but different. Blah blah blah. I've know my husband since 14 (45 now) so he and I actually able to put lots together for adult history that parent do for their kids.

Biggest change for me was 1) eating a really breakfast chocked full of protein. Protein has been the best regulator for me. Reading about what grains do, was the next big leap for me. Seriously like trying to get off the crap is like kicking a bad habit. Still affect me sometimes. Like today came home from Christmas shopping. One of sons made taquitos. I hate days where that crap actually smells good.

Besides protein adding fat to my diet was the other kicker. I feel full. Back in the old days I'd get panicked if I didn't eat on time. Rob would say he thought I actually turned green. The other thing is I don't feel as twitchy. Shopping and eating has become normal for my husband and I now. So it's no big deal. We make the choices and aren't reliant on a parent. I have a cousin whose son has Celiac's and ends up pretty sick sometimes because mom find it too difficult to cook differently for him. Hmmmmm talk about selfish. I thought having to take your son to the hospital is difficult not cooking healthy. IMHO.

As an adult we choose what comes in the house. Kids eat what's at the table. I know they eat other stuff out of the house, but at least they are making good choices here.

Since I have the eating down, they next thing my hubby and I are starting to work on is more of the sensory diet. That is the real hard stuff. I do find that the equivalent of lifting heavy things truly helps. That plumb tired out feeling is a real release. For example, I just finished shoveling snow/ and feel terrific where I came home from the store twitchy form all the people and now I feel relaxed.

Oh and to the people fighting on this thread - go play somewhere else please.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas
    Just gather info you can give. "Here read this". We are a scouting family. So we are out side a lot. This takes pre-planning for food meals. It's not easy to just run to grocery store. We try to think portable and easy. Kale chips. Homemade jerky, Hard boiled eggs, just changing the mindset about what makes a good snack. Biggest thing is to make it easy and predicable.

Spent morning researching cortisol and howit impacts high SPD issues. Ugh. Think I have to give up my coffee.

I found this and liked it
    http://www.autism-society.org/news/diet.pdf
    Julia
    Starting Weight 235 - Dec 1, 2010
    Started Primal Mid January 2011
    Current Weight 183
    Goal 160

Get Outside Already!

http://moderndayfitandfood.wordpress.com/
    http://moderndaydesigns.wordpress.com/

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Ritalin is basically a caffeine pill and yet they give it to people with autism and ADHD to control symptoms. If cortisol is an issue for people with autism, then maybe it isn't advisable to give them Ritalin to begin with?

Wouldn't be the first time that the medical community has foisted drugs on people that not only AREN'T necessary but might even be a bad idea. Heh.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast