Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NYTimes: Dr. Oz Does It All page

Steve-O is offline Senior Member

NYTimes: Dr. Oz Does It All

Primal Fuel
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/magazine/18Oz-t.html

I'm always fascinated with people who seem to be able to do it all. Boundless energy, drive, determination, passion, and focus.

This is a good article about why and how Dr. Oz has created his media empire while still performing surgery. Basically he says he sees his shows, articles, etc. as a way to perform preventative medicine on a mass scale. It always saddened him when he meets with patients and tells them the small things they could have done to avoid surgery.

The article also talks about his dad who literally told him he had to be better than everyone else--which is great when you're one of a handful of people who can actually achieve that. Not so good for everyone else.

His diet habits are also discussed--small amount of food (low-fat yogurt, nuts, raisins) every hour. Of course, he recommends high fiber low animal protein diet, but he says the key to longevity is staying active.

Good read for anyone who is interested.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    He eats every HOUR? Wow.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I find hime likeable even if I disagree with a lot of his advice. In the spirit of not letting perfection be the enemy of good, it is good to see people starting better habits with his help. I'd love to see he and Mark have a chat and discuss the merits of PB.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    I don't agree with many things in his approach, but the man is an entrepreneurial whirlwind, and I can admire that.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

emmie is offline Senior Member
    He eats every hour because he's a low fat enthusiast (his wife is vegetarian) who is probably starving most of the time because of the lack of fat/protein in his diet.

I read one of his typical menus, and it's all low fat, high carb stuff--granola, wheat break, etc.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Oz is just another complete noodle head hiding behind his MD degree. Just my opinion and others http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/l...d-the-curtain/
    Last edited by Mac; 04-16-2010 at 04:28 PM.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member
    once in awhile he will say something that makes me think there is hope for him yet. But then he goes and does things like recommending a high fiber cereal, soy milk, orange juice, and whole wheat toast as a healthy breakfast.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    True, but it gets people to start thinking about what they're putting in their mouths. I bought into the garbage too when I went from eating fudge rounds and peanut butter bars to kashi bars and yogurt. I did start to get healthier and lose weight by CW methods, and my interest in nutritious food grew... eventually leading me here.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    That's an excellent point. I wouldn't have gone primal if I hadn't been low-fat vegan first.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

tooround is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    As a rule ... can't stand him! However ... I applaud his efforts to make people more aware of their bodily functions. As a nurse, I've been extremely frustrated by the number of folks who have no idea what their bowels and bladder are supposed to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast