Thread: Lacking motivation to eat right AND exercise page

Lacking motivation to eat right AND exercise

Primal Fuel
    I am finding that over the past two years since I've been introduced to the primal life, that I either focus on eating properly OR focus on exercising, but have difficulty doing BOTH. So, I'll spend months eating primally close to 100%, but I don't have the willpower/motivation to exercise. Or, I'll get into a great exercise routine, but slack off on the eating properly. Right now, I'm sprinting weekly, doing bodyweight exercises 3x's a week and moving slowly almost daily. Perfect. But, I'm finding myself eating grains and sugar way more than I should. I go through probably a 3-4 month cycle of either doing one or the other. It feels as though I use up my willpower on one, and then have none left for the other. Any advice?

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    It's a tough balance to find. Being 100% Primal on both is unlikely (some may be able to pull it off but most of us can't).

You need to not focus on one to the exclusion of the other. Cheating on Sugar and Grains consistently while having a great workout program is going nowhere fast. Eating Primally while sitting on your ass all day is less damaging than the former option, but still not even close to the best that can be achieved.

Right now you're in the middle of a great workout stretch but you're sabotaging your body by eating Sugar and Grains (otherwise known as complete crap that will muck up the system). If you find that your hunger is that bad that it requires you to fill up on empty carbs, I recommend upping your fat content. Instead of reaching for that Sugary snack, reach for a coldcut piece of meat and some cheese.

Your workout routine looks pretty good, not too hard or demanding, so whatever is triggering the bad eating is likely not related to that. Get rid of the sugary junk and grains too-just toss them into a garbage back and into the trash at your earliest convenience. If the bad stuff isn't there to eat, you can't eat it.

Really, it boils down to making the right choice at that moment. You won't make it all the time -- that's why Mark has the 80/20 rule -- and that's fine. Setting your expectations for 100% compliance is is setting yourself up for failure. Do the best you can with every decision presented to you and if you screw up and eat something bad, move on. Don't let it snowball. One mistake doesn't doom the entire process.

And if you're really craving something sugary/grain based, ask yourself this question: Would you rather have that stuff or Bacon? I find that I'd rather have bacon a lot of the time and I look for something that can satisfy me in that way (whether it be actually bacon or a handful of coldcut beef/ham/turkey).

Hope that helps.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I would get your eating in order first and foremost. Exercise is secondary. Hope you can see results and enjoy the benefits of doing both, but eating properly comes first.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by butterphly01 View Post
    I am finding that over the past two years since I've been introduced to the primal life, that I either focus on eating properly OR focus on exercising, but have difficulty doing BOTH. So, I'll spend months eating primally close to 100%, but I don't have the willpower/motivation to exercise. Or, I'll get into a great exercise routine, but slack off on the eating properly. Right now, I'm sprinting weekly, doing bodyweight exercises 3x's a week and moving slowly almost daily. Perfect. But, I'm finding myself eating grains and sugar way more than I should. I go through probably a 3-4 month cycle of either doing one or the other. It feels as though I use up my willpower on one, and then have none left for the other. Any advice?
    Gee, I don't know how these cocopuffs came to be in my bowl in front of me and going into my face via this spoon in my hand.

Come on. You don't "find yourself" eating things you know you shouldn't. You eat things you shouldn't. Start by taking responsibility.

I agree with RichMahogony about concentrating of diet first.

And take a good look at the stats in Trekfan's sig. And check out his before/after pics. It is possible you just have to DOOO EEET!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Quote Originally Posted by butterphly01 View Post
    I find myself in this cycle sometimes myself---so I can relate! I think part of the problem is when I'm strictly primal I'm just not eating enough carbs to really fuel me to WANT to work out. I really think that is the missing piece. I also find that my menstrual cycle sabotages me as well! Like you, I'm having some GREAT workouts now...after a pretty sedentary summer (but I was quite thin and very strict primal). Lifting 2-3 times/week, walking and sprinting and feeling strong! I have been grabbing a Gluten free cookie here and there more often though---definitely need to have a healthy carb option when you are working out! Good luck!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Thanks for the feedback! I am going to try to add in more healthy carbs. I'm thinking I may be getting more cravings due to the increased exercise. Trekfan, I like your advice of not letting one mistake snowball into more. I definitely do that!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am somewhat the same way. I just love training and moving and all the active stuff, but I always overeat and eat fruit.

Unfortunately this:
    And if you're really craving something sugary/grain based, ask yourself this question: Would you rather have that stuff or Bacon? I find that I'd rather have bacon a lot of the time and I look for something that can satisfy me in that way (whether it be actually bacon or a handful of coldcut beef/ham/turkey).
    doesn't work for me, because my favorite thing is fruit, and nothing else compares. I would take fruit over ANYTHING. Lol, particulary bacon.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.