Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on cutting back on alcohol page

bdlee73 is offline Member

Some thoughts on cutting back on alcohol

Primal Fuel
    For various reasons I started cutting back on alcohol. I would typically have 1 or 2 glasses of wine or beers in the evening a few days a week - most would describe this as moderate consumption at the most. Then a month ago I decided to cut down to having beer or wine to once a week (or even less).

Observations:

I'm finding that my body doesn't seems to care much for alcohol. If I have more than one glass of beer or glass of wine, I don't sleep well and my body feels "blah". Has anyone else had similar experiences?

I truly enjoy a glass of wine or a good craft beer, but I'm really thinking I'm going to give it up except for rare social occasions. I'm finding that a cup of camomile tea is much more agreeable to me in the evenings.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Funny, I was considered taking up drinking alcohol to ween myself of fruit and 'tea with something' in the evenings. I have never touched a drop, and I am 37 yo.

But my husband mentioned that alcohol causes inhibitions to go down, so I am more likely to over-eat instead of wine helping me with the tea 'with something' problem after supper. If that was not a consideration, and I could just sip on one glass of wine instead of eating and apple with almond butter with a cup of tea and cheese etc I would be happy. Much less damage.

So, one thing for you to ponder if you have a long-standing habit that you will be if you will subconsciously seek something to replace that glass of wine in the evening and if that something could be more damaging than the glass of wine.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    I used to drink a glass or two most nights but agree it disturbs my sleep enough that the next day i don't feel alert.

So i've largely dropped it apart from weekends. It is a great shame because i do enjoy it.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    So, one thing for you to ponder if you have a long-standing habit that you will be if you will subconsciously seek something to replace that glass of wine in the evening and if that something could be more damaging than the glass of wine.
    Right now its "tea with nothing" before bedtime. On occasion I'll crave a snack, but its much less than when I have beer or wine.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You are a lucky man.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Alcohol is a take-it-or-leave-it for me. I actually bought a bottle of beer (an Arrogant Bastard IPA) a few weeks ago to have over thanksgiving, but it's still in the back of the fridge along with some beer I bought in 2011. It isn't that I abstain...I really enjoy good tequila, whiskey, wine, beer, etc...I just forget to drink, and then forget what I have available to drink. So, with that said....

Not me. E.g. a couple days ago I had two beers immediately after my Sunday work-out. Not only were they delicious (though they were brewpub "holiday ale" type brews - usually chancy) but (after appropriate time for metabolizing) I still had energy to do what I needed to do that evening (watch a 48FPS showing of The Hobbit pt1), and I slept well.

Drinking obviously isn't something I think you should force yourself to do, but it isn't something a healthy person should actively avoid either.

GuitarGrok is online now Member
    I used to snack a lot in the evenings, but I started following the warrior diet, so a couple of small snacks through the day, and one big meal at night, no breakfast, or lunch. Since I eat a big dinner on this I find that my desire to snack after dinner is gone completely. I also have more energy through the day. I am only 1.5 weeks in, but so far I am liking this!!!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    When I drink wine in the evenings I usually get super sleepy but tend to wake in the middle of the night...seemingly when the alcohol has burned off. I do MUCH better without it. My hubby just recently gave up beer (SO PROUD OF HIM!) and sleeps like a baby now...but nights he subs in wine he seems to wake up less well-rested.

I agree that eating a big dinner with healthy fats usually prevents me from evening snacking.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Paleobird Guest
    I really used to enjoy a good red wine but , lately, I seem to have lost my taste for it too. And I agree with Solstice about the sleep disruption.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Hey I used to work in Boise!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast