Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on cutting back on alcohol page 2

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I drink whiskey, on ice with a splash of water. I haven't really altered my consumption rates MUCH, but I can't hold as much as I did before. That said, part of it might have been the 100 extra pounds of blubber I had to diffuse the booze.

I don't find it significantly affects my rest patterns...
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I am definitely more sensitive to alcohol now. Except for when I drink my beer that is the reward for mowing the lawns
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    I have cut back a lot on alcohol too and not because I have been trying to live a primal lifestyle. When I started I basically made the choice that alcohol would be my main vice instead of other "cheats."

But before I digress, the main reason I cut back is that very modest amounts of alcohol sometimes leads to a hangover. I'm talking like 2 beers can sometimes result in me feeling like crap in the morning. Also, if I drink to intoxication, my next day hangover is sometimes accompanied by a dramatic bout of anxiety where I feel nervous and skidish all day and can't accomplish anything.

So against my better interest, I still have a few beers a month since I enjoy a good craft beer. But I have cut back for the most part.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

bdlee73 is offline Member
    When will I ever learn? Went out last night and had two pints of craft beer and simply felt like crap last night! I hard a hard time falling asleep and overall felt really off. I think this may be the end of the line for beer.

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I have been as much as a 3 bottles of red wine a week girl. Last April I decided that I probably did not need the extra 3000 calories a week, but still had about a bottle and a half. Then in the fall I participated in an 8 weeks transformation at the gym and only drank on weekends. I slept so much better, my workouts were better etc. However, I promised myself if I did another transformation I would abstain for the 8 weeks. We are now 10 days no alcohol. I have to say the difference is pretty amazing, sleeping better, able to go all out in the workouts, far less snacking etc. I still think about my wine, but am enjoying the benefits enough to not crack. Yet.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    If I want to serious about dropping body fat I have to cut back on drinking. Even one or two classes of wine gets me to snacking before bed. My enthusiasm for exercise also declines. Over the Hollidays I got into the habit of one of two glasses a night and managed to regain some weight.

It stands to reason that if fructose affects weight gain alcohol would too since liver metabolism treats them in much the same way
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    If I want to serious about dropping body fat I have to cut back on drinking. Even one or two classes of wine gets me to snacking before bed. My enthusiasm for exercise also declines. Over the Hollidays I got into the habit of one of two glasses a night and managed to regain some weight.

It stands to reason that if fructose affects weight gain alcohol would too since liver metabolism treats them in much the same way
    I agree. I recently stopped drinking Monday through Thursday as an experiment (about 3 months ago). I've noticed that going to bed after a couple of glasses of wine seems to have absolutely no impact on my sleep or my feeling of wellness. Regardless of how much or little I drink, I sleep like a rock, get my 8 - 9 hours, and feel fine in the morning.

At the same time, if I drink wine, it is a trigger food for me, and *encourages* me to snack. That is why I stopped during the week as I'm trying to really lock down my diet. If I don't have a glass of wine with/after dinner, my IF is easy. I don't think about it, and all is good. But if I do have a glass or two, regardless of what I'm doing, I get the urge to snack. Ugh.

--Me

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlee73 View Post
    If I have more than one glass of beer or glass of wine, I don't sleep well and my body feels "blah". Has anyone else had similar experiences?
    This is a normal response. Alcohol messes with your sleep cycles, I can't remember the details.

bdlee73 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    This is a normal response. Alcohol messes with your sleep cycles, I can't remember the details.
    I don't know about the physiology of it, but alcohol is a stimulant so I'm sure that contributes to the restlessness.

If I have a glass or two of wine, I'm not impacted as much as beer. It makes me think that the type of carbs in beer (wheat!!!) has become very disagreeable to me - especially since I have beer about twice a month now. I'll just go back to herbal tea in the evenings.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I know I need to dial back the wine a bit, like only weekends. My 1-2 glasses over dinner easily become 3-4 over the evening, which leads to snacking, etc. I realize that the last 5 lbs could likely be addressed by ditching the wine for a while. The real challenge for me is to see if ditching wine will improve sleep quality, which has never been really good for me. I just wish it wasn't soo tasty, wish I didn't relish the mild buzz and relaxation, wish I had something to replace the tactile habit of holding and sipping wine, wish it wasn't so much a part of my social engagement....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast