Thread: Sleep and Hunger Hormones - a Contradictory Experience? page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Sleep and Hunger Hormones - a Contradictory Experience?

Primal Fuel
    I have always heard that if you sleep more and better you will get a particular hormone under control (ghreline iirc) and lose weight more successfully with less hunger signal.

Well, I am experiencing exactly the opposite impact.

I was sleeping for maybe 5-6 hours a night, not for the lack of trying and was experiencing frequent hunger. At that time I maintained body fat relatively high (maybe 22% from the picture, around 18% on the WW scale) and weight in the low 120s and was unable to go lower (always bounced back).

Now, I had the endless saga of woe since July when I got a horrifying stomach bug when for almost 5 days I could not hold down even water, and since then I became less tolerant of hunger, so as a result I ate more, and despite giving it a good fight, ended up pushing 130 lbs, and about 25% BF, I guess, ~ 20 on the WW scale.

But once I started cresting into higher 120s, my sleep contrary to expectations started increasing dramatically, and I now sleep good 8 hours a night and want more. I actually took a nap on the weekend last week for the first time since I was pregnant 7 years ago.

I don't understand, if I sleep more, I should experience weight loss/reduced appetite, not weight gain/increased appetite???

P.S. If it makes the difference, I also gave up on trying to control the weight gain with the VLC (I was trying <30 g totals) and increased carb consumption allowing veggies and fruit to maybe ~100 g (not counting calories atm).
    Last edited by Leida; 12-19-2012 at 06:28 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Are you feeling tired during the day, or does the sleep seem restful and adequate?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Nope, not tired at all. I do not drink coffee at all any more.

patrickh is offline Member
    Maybe you're lower than you think. Low bodyfat numbers are often associated with increased hunger and decreased sleep. Increased wakefulness is your body's way of trying to get you on the search for more food.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickh View Post
    Maybe you're lower than you think. Low bodyfat numbers are often associated with increased hunger and decreased sleep. Increased wakefulness is your body's way of trying to get you on the search for more food.
    yes, I would just think your body is happy and getting well-rested now.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Nah, I don't think my BF is lower than I think, it is pretty consistent between the pictures and inches and BI scale.

So, it's normal to be more wakeful than leaner and you still get enough rest and do not impact your hunger hormone? It is just hwen you don't let yourself sleep as long as your body wants to (short or long) that you impact the hunger hormone? Or does shorter sleep when leaner is somehow detrimental to health if you feel alert?