Thread: Bone marrow page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Bone marrow

Primal Fuel
    Organs, bone marrow etc. are heralded as the most nutritionally dense parts of the animals, right? But in relation to bone marrow - is it true that if you're eating an animal that's been treated unethically (battery chickens / corn fed cows etc.) that all the toxins / drugs collect in the marrow of the bones? I seem to remember reading something like that.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    I want to know the answer to this too.

Zach is offline Banned
    I think most toxins get stored in the fat but im sure everything would be suspect on a sick animal. And yes, any animal that is raised on an unnatural diet and penned up its whole life is going to be pretty sick.

But, humans are pretty resiliant and if it comes down to eating vs not eating then eating the animal is the way to go. If you can afford to choose, go for the pastured, wild, free range, grass fed, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Organs, bone marrow etc. are heralded as the most nutritionally dense parts of the animals, right? But in relation to bone marrow - is it true that if you're eating an animal that's been treated unethically (battery chickens / corn fed cows etc.) that all the toxins / drugs collect in the marrow of the bones? I seem to remember reading something like that.
    There was a paleo hacks post on this a while back, give a search for it

The toxins stuff concerns me so I fast, sweat and cycle with things like chlorella, activated charcoal and ingest clays before/after eating something that makes me wonder like you are

sunsis is offline Member
    This is actually a pretty good question. Has Mark done a Q&A with this?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I did some research into it. The bone marrow is predominantly responsible for the creation of blood cells, and once these are made they migrate out of the marrow into the blood stream. So it's more of process of stuff leaving the bone marrow rather than entering.

Our body makes natural proteins that signal the stem cells in the bone marrow to create blood cells. Of course these are made from what's available within the body, so what we eat would play a role, but I get the impression the body's filtration system would keep those crucial areas as clean as possible.

Toxins are stored in the fat, which makes sense as this can be a transient component of the body, thus suitable for holding substances which are harmful.