Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF questions... page

CanisDirus is offline Member

IF questions...

Primal Fuel
    I've never fasted before, so obviously I have some questions. I apologize for my blatant n00bity.

I am aiming for a 24 hour fast. I am only planning on taking in water and probably some tea. Would it be ok to put some raw honey in my tea? I am hoping the fast will help me cleanse and detox, and I have read that honey is good for digestive health.

I've been eating primal for a week now, but I am sure I have some toxins to clear out of my system. I have read that some people experience a "purge" after a fast, should I expect and um...prepare for this?

All the digestion-related questions kind of stem from what brought me to a LC way of eating, and ultimately to the Primal diet (although I do not consider it so much a "diet" as a "lifestyle" as I want to continue eating this way.) I always had horrible digestive issues with whole grains, oatmeal would pretty much glue my digestive system together for days until I had to give up and take a laxative just so I could go.

Anyway, is it okay to work out while fasting? I usually do Tae Bo (so 90's I know!) or lift weights.

Thanks for any tips and advice, and I apologize for the wall of text! I didn't mean to blab so much. :3

Suki is offline Senior Member
    Hahaha! Tae Bo being "90s!"

You can do whatever gets you through the fast. The standard is water and tea but I think some people will go up to 50 calories. I do lemon and water usually - sometimes tea. It's also perfectly ok to start with a shorter fast - 16 hours or so (from 8 pm to noon).

I know there are some people who experience digestive "issues" but I've never had anything weird happen. I mean, I think as long as you're still eating healthy and not consuming enough fat to make you ... you know... you'll be fine.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Fasting isn't a state, it's a continuum. The more honey and such that you consume, the blunter the effects of the fast. A small amount of honey won't necessarily cause too much trouble, but it might blunt the insulin-sensitizing effects of the fast a little bit.

Working out while fasting is just fine (some people even prefer it), but if you aren't yet fully fat-adapted, take it slow.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    If I have anything with sugar in it when I'm fasting, my blood sugar crashes in a spectacular way.
    Of course this may be because I'm still pretty messed up metabolically :-(

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't consume any sugar/honey/carbs and keep my fast going. Typically when I break my fast it is with a VLC meal. If i consume carbs in my first meal I'll binge for sure.

If this is your first week eating primal I would recommend waiting a few more weeks before your first fast unless you have been eating low carb for a while.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    Re-read the question,

I do occasionally "purge" my system after breaking a fast, usually if it is going to happen it is within 1 hour of breaking the fast. I think it has to do with your body releasing toxin's while in fat burning mode.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Re-read the question,

I do occasionally "purge" my system after breaking a fast, usually if it is going to happen it is within 1 hour of breaking the fast.
    Ditto.

I typically go water only. Tea, rarely and without sweetener. You can fast however is most comfortable for you.

Sterling is offline Member
    If you are fasting, take in no calories. A fasted workout is always a good thing, though not always necessary.

CanisDirus is offline Member
    Thanks for the feedback you guys, it really helped. I decided to not use honey in my tea, and I did start with a shorter fast - about 18 hours.

I feel pretty good! Kind of "light on my feet" I guess. I'll try to make it to 24 hours next time, but I was getting very dizzy. I assume that would subside once I get used to fasting?

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by CanisDirus View Post
    ...but I was getting very dizzy. I assume that would subside once I get used to fasting?
    I had some "dizzy" spells during my first fast, but I think it was mostly due to dehydration as I wasn't always drinking enough water. It was also only when I would get up from sitting after awhile (nice period of inactivity and no water).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast