Thread: Spam in the can, day 3 page

desertland is offline Member

Spam in the can, day 3

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK so it is unlikely that Grok ever found his meat in a can but when I went hunter / gathering for my lunch ( never left the house ) I bagged 1/4 lb of brussel sprouts and about the same in red cabbage along with a can of turkey spam.
    I get the message on PB and cholesteral but I do not recall much info on sodium. I suspect that three meals a day of spam would not be so good but once in awhile it should be no issue?

Edge is offline Member
    I'm interested in the feedback, because I actually like SPAM. I know the thought makes some people squirm. I've even been to the SPAM museum (Austin, MN) twice for a hilarious time. Low carbs, high protein, and there is a low sodium version. The ingredients seem simple enough, sans the potato starch and sodium nitrite (neither of which I'm too familiar with - still learning), but I doubt the animals are antibiotic-free, or fed the right stuff.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd say..... not ideal, but not fatal! Depends how much potato starch? And at least it's potato, the lesser evil compared to e.g. wheat. I'd go for low sodium just to be on the safe side, as long as it's not replaced wth any other nasties.
    To be fair, it's probably made of snouts and tails - but what could be more Primal than that?

Now, WTH is *turkey* spam? Is it like turkey ham, a mutant hybrid of lord-knows-what in an unholy colour? If so, I object solely on the basis that animals shouldn't be moulded into the same product!!

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    The tolerable upper limit for sodium is actually quite high, but it can cause loss of other minerals if you have tons of it on a regular basis. Additionally, spiking intake puts stress on the cardiovascular system (although consistently high intake does not appear to). Keep sodium intake moderate and consistent, it's not necessary to keep it low.

It's extra-low quality CAFO meat, but it's not just awful for you or anything. Occasional indulgence shouldn't hurt you.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Edge is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    To be fair, it's probably made of snouts and tails - but what could be more Primal than that?
    They swear up and down this it does not; and that it's pork shoulder, and ham (rump).

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member
    Oh. I thought you were going to talk about the Acai-Berry guy ;-)

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I have to admit, I used to love fried spam, haven't had it in years though, too much sodium.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes