Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Really confused about calorie intake page

Phillykid is offline Senior Member

Really confused about calorie intake

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I'm fairly new to PB. It's been a couple days so far and I'm liking it a lot since I can enjoy better food. However, I'm really confused about calorie intake. In my other threads, I was told that I wasn't taking in enough calories. Here's a sample of what I eat and current weight/height.

Height: 5"6
    Weight: 135
    Body fat: roughly 20%
    Main goal: Not lose weight, just shed body fat at a fast pace, but healthy

Breakfast: 6 large eggs (2 yolks) cooked with garlic
    Lunch: Big salad, 6 cherry tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, bacon bits (good amount, i love bacon), turkey bits, and 2 tblespoon olive oil.
    Snack: 25 almonds
    Dinner: Chicken breast with 1 cup spinach and 1 tbspn olive oil.

I understand PB is a lifestyle and that I should focus on long-term, but honestly, I still want to lose body fat with fast results. I feel more energized and satisfied after I eat, but should I be eating more even though I want to lose fat at a faster pace? I do moderate body weight exercises 3x a week to build muscle as well.

I just read mostly his blogs, success stories, and yes the 101 links.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I hate to say it, but "moar fat" is definitely in order here. They will help fill you up more and allow you to go longer and longer between meals. Also, don't fear the egg yolks. Eat them when you eat the egg. We NEED cholesterol to live! No need to EVER separate the yolk from the white.

You could try intermittent fasting to boost weightloss. Mark has a wonderful series in his blog on why this is a great tool for anyone on the primal blueprint which you should read. In addition, make sure you are eating the way that makes you feel the best. Some people thrive on being low carb, others do not. If you feel great, then keep on truckin'! If not, play around with adding some more fruit and "safe" (using the term very loosely) starches into your personal version of the blueprint.

Thanks for the input! Honestly i don't feel hungry after my meals and i don't eat after 7. I feel good, but i was just wondering if I was consuming enough calories

Quote Originally Posted by Phillykid View Post
    Thanks for the input! Honestly i don't feel hungry after my meals and i don't eat after 7. I feel good, but i was just wondering if I was consuming enough calories
    I eat just once a day and feel pretty darn good doing so. But if I didn't eat a high fat diet, it'd be a lot harder to maintain this way of eating. Low blood sugar would DEFINATELY catch up with me I think, and without the fat to fuel myself on then I'd NEED to eat.
    More often. This is one of the major advantages to eating "moar fat" and as you can imagine, eating once a day is a very good way to lower caloric consumption. I get about 1,700-1,800 calories on non-workout days and 2,000-2,200 on workout days in my one meal. I happen to be a pretty short and lean guy though, so you may need to eat a little more depending on your body type.

In addition, running off of fat all day instead of carbs has the advantage of "leaning" you out. Your body naturally says, "I have no food in me, but I need energy. Where can I get it from?" And that search tends to lead it to your body's stores of fat. This is great for reducing fat and since the fat is preferred for being more energy dense than protein (muscle), your lean mass is typically spared.

Not everyone does well with (or even WANTS to try) this way of eating, but it's worked beautifully for me and tons of others utilizing it so I suggest it as something you can try for a while and see how you do.

Remember though, experiment, experiment, experiment. Nutrition is VERY individual. What works for one person (or even LOTS of people) may not work for someone else. As said before, you may do better eating fewer carbs, or you may do better eating more. No one but you can determine that and as I like to say, you have to find your own "primal sweetspot."

Honestly, I could never eat just once a day. I need to separate my meals, but I want to portion out my meals and eat the right amount at each one. One thing is for sure though, I'm not eating enough calories. I feel good and not hungry after my meals, but maybe I can add more protein and olive oil for fat.

Honestly, I could never eat just once a day. I need to separate my meals, but I want to portion out my meals and eat the right amount at each one. One thing is for sure though, I'm not eating enough calories. I feel good and not hungry after my meals, but maybe I can add more protein and olive oil for fat.
    Why JUST olive oil? Think animal fats, coconut oil, avocados... You get where I'm going. Diversify!

Also, if you never try something you'll never really know if you can or cannot do something. Just my two cents on that one. One has to be open to new experiences. I wouldn't make any bold claims about anything unless I'd tried it for myself first. The primal blueprint seems to work best for those who do the most experimentation to find out what works best for them.

Anyway, best of luck!

Thanks Drumroll, the problem is, beef is kinda expensive and I'm on a budget. I'm trying to get my protein sources the best I can while getting all my fat from oil, nuts, eggs, and bacon. I can definitely get some avocados and coconut oil

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If the Primal Blueprint leads to weight loss for you, it is for one reason - whole foods keep you fuller longer than processed foods, causing you to be fuller longer and resulting in a reduction of calories. You're going to consume more calories of processed foods than whole foods pretty much every time, and you'll likely binge more due to food rewards and poor nutrient density (micronutrient deficiencies can lead to binging until your body "gets enough" of the deficient mineral).

Remember, it is dietary fat that is almost always stored as fat. Even on the Standard American Diet, it's the fat making you fat - you eat carbs and the excess dietary fat is stored while you burn through the sugar. If you are full after each meal and you're just spooning on rendered fat for the sake of added fat, it's going to be counter productive. Isolated fats are poor sources of micronutrients. Eat whole foods that make you feel best. It doesn't matter if it's chicken and sweet potato or ribeye and avocado. Experiment with everything. Just avoid the toxic stuff - grains, legumes, refined sugars, refined PUFA oils, etc.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Phillykid, just curious, are you male or female?

If you are male and you want to lose body fat, I'd suggest working in recomping instead - building muscle and dropping fat - especially if you are new to weight training.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast