Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 80

Thread: Really confused about calorie intake page 6

  1. #51
    Phillykid's Avatar
    Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    107
    Primal Fuel
    The problem is, i'm still in college and on a budget. I'm trying to eat real food the best I can afford. I did actually starting eating all whole eggs and for dinner i eat 4 chicken thighs for more fat and protein.

  2. #52
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,846
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I haven't seen anyone promoting a diet with sugars as the only fuel source.

    So your statement is completely irrelevant.
    Hardly anyone eats a diet that is ONLY carbs. That would be very difficult. My conengention is that the body wants to maintain the status quo. If your status quo is to have a body adapted to sugar intake that's going to be its primary fuel source. You have to sort of train your body to want it to use fat as a fuel. And it doesn't take much icarbohydrate intake for your body to learn to prefer carbs as a fuel source.

    Again, you can lose on a high Carb diet, sure. I agree with that! But if you can do anything to help the process along and make it easier, such as becoming fat adapted, I fail to see why you wouldn't want to.

  3. #53
    Phillykid's Avatar
    Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    107
    Yea I really want to see how adapted my body can get to using fat as fuel. I keep my carb intake at 50 grams, eating a lot of vegetables and some fruit. But one question, it's been a week since I've went primal and my fat intake is high, is it normal if I feel better than before, but my stomach is coming out a little more? My overall weight has gone down, but my gut comes out more after a high fat meal

  4. #54
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Hardly anyone eats a diet that is ONLY carbs. That would be very difficult. My conengention is that the body wants to maintain the status quo. If your status quo is to have a body adapted to sugar intake that's going to be its primary fuel source. You have to sort of train your body to want it to use fat as a fuel. And it doesn't take much icarbohydrate intake for your body to learn to prefer carbs as a fuel source.

    Again, you can lose on a high Carb diet, sure. I agree with that! But if you can do anything to help the process along and make it easier, such as becoming fat adapted, I fail to see why you wouldn't want to.
    There is no such thing as a body that wants to use fat as fuel. Carbs are its main fuel source first and always. Being in ketosis is a form of starvation and never a preferred state.

    As for using it for fat loss, the main thing people lose is water weight and thats why low carb is so popular because you get the big woosh at the beginning. Sure you will lose fat but no faster then a diet with sufficient carbs AND with carbs you wont have all that nasty business like wrecked metabolism, adrenals and hormones.

    Its actually quite easy to be on a high carb diet and lose fat. Just look at the potato diet, many people are reporting significant fat loss and no usual signs of calorie restriction like low energy, bad sleep, low libido, etc.

  5. #55
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    There is no such thing as a body that wants to use fat as fuel....
    Yes in the bodies infinite stupidity it chooses to store excess energy in a state that it would rather not utilize for energy. All human bodies "want" to burn fat as fuel. We carry around literally tens of thousands of calories worth of energy as fat for what reason? Its to utilize when energy is needed. What do you use for energy when you sleep? How about low level activity?

    Its a mix. Your constantly burning both carbs and fat, but you can train a body to utilize energy more efficiently....training in a fasted state and eating low carb are known ways of doing such. This trains your body to utilize fat as fuel at higher intensities. Its the premise of train low race high.

    As to the potato hack it actually may act like a backdoor hack to keep insulin very low allowing/requiring the mobilization of fat. Some interesting theories there.

    FYI this is just a post on the fact that you will burn both....if you want to speak to "preference" i guess the body prefers alcohol. Its definitely the first thing utilized for energy even before carbs when its ingested.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.

  6. #56
    Phillykid's Avatar
    Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    107
    Is it normal if my gut comes out more ever since i started eating more fat? My face seems like it's getting slimmer, but my stomach feels bloated. Is this just my body isn't used to the high fat intake?

  7. #57
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,606
    ^ My gut comes out more after a meal too. Really one week isn't much time to try a new way of eating. Give it a month and re-evaluate.

  8. #58
    Phillykid's Avatar
    Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    107
    Ok, I was getting the feeling I'm eating too much

  9. #59
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yes in the bodies infinite stupidity it chooses to store excess energy in a state that it would rather not utilize for energy. All human bodies "want" to burn fat as fuel. We carry around literally tens of thousands of calories worth of energy as fat for what reason? Its to utilize when energy is needed. What do you use for energy when you sleep? How about low level activity?

    Its a mix. Your constantly burning both carbs and fat, but you can train a body to utilize energy more efficiently....training in a fasted state and eating low carb are known ways of doing such. This trains your body to utilize fat as fuel at higher intensities. Its the premise of train low race high.

    As to the potato hack it actually may act like a backdoor hack to keep insulin very low allowing/requiring the mobilization of fat. Some interesting theories there.

    FYI this is just a post on the fact that you will burn both....if you want to speak to "preference" i guess the body prefers alcohol. Its definitely the first thing utilized for energy even before carbs when its ingested.
    Yep, alcohol is fuel número uno. By that reasoning I guess I need to be on the concentrated alcohol diet!

    And yes, we have, and always will burn both fuels. Even people in ketosis burn glucose to some extent. That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't look to optimizing out fat utilization to best be able to shed body fat if that is a goal.

  10. #60
    j3nn's Avatar
    j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    3,306
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yes in the bodies infinite stupidity it chooses to store excess energy in a state that it would rather not utilize for energy. All human bodies "want" to burn fat as fuel. We carry around literally tens of thousands of calories worth of energy as fat for what reason? Its to utilize when energy is needed. What do you use for energy when you sleep? How about low level activity?
    I don't think fat stores are the body's preferred fuel. The body is actually very reluctant to give up fat, and for good reason. Fat stores are a lot like a savings account; evolutionarily there for when not enough energy (money) is coming in, for shortages and long travel and emergencies and survival in general, but not for everyday preferred spending. Would you burn through your savings if you didn't know if your income would stabilize? Probably not. The body wouldn't, either. Just like with savings, you'd slow down and only use what is necessary. Everybody wants to have lots of savings, but no rational person wants to have to spend it.

    The body is most willing to burn glucose and then lean body mass before fat. Hence why it's so common for anorexia sufferers to have a relatively high BF %. Weight (fat) loss would be much simpler if fat was the body's first fuel choice. Simply cut back on calories and the body dips into fat savings. Not so fast. In reality, it's not that linear. Ketosis may manipulate the body into burning fat at the expense of added stressors and lowered metabolic rate, but I don't see how it's preferred when it's so hard to get into that state due to the body's and brain's preference for glucose, and then sustain it when the body will so easily pop out of ketosis from eating something as simple as a large potato. If ketosis is preferable, why does the body fight against it and abandon it at the first incoming fruit smoothie? When there's no or little incoming glucose, we evolved a mechanism to produce it (gluconeogenesis). That is proof right there that the body prefers glucose, ideally through dietary intake (plan a) or plan b: gluconeogenesis, the secondary means of getting its preferred fuel. Ketones are a last resort in order of preference.

    Alcohol shouldn't really be a consideration as its not typically found in nature or relied on for sustenance.
    Last edited by j3nn; 12-23-2012 at 01:54 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

    “It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •