Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Really confused about calorie intake page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree that calories matter. But if your body is busy metabolizing sugars as its only fuel source, it will have a harder time burning dietary fats because it hasn't become adjusted to using them as a fuel. This may not stop fat loss, but if your body is constantly craving sugar all the time for fuel, then you have the issue that it makes you hungry (body telling you it wants you to eat to get the sugar it wants) instead of simply pulling from body fat (body is already used to utilizing fats for main energy source so the transition is seamless). Being fat adapted undoubtedly makes fat loss easier. Even if you can technically do it on constant carb fuel, I see no reason NOT to be adapted since it makes the process so much easier.

If losing weight on constant carb fuel was so easy, more CW dieters would be seeing success. In my opinion, if you can optimize conditions to make burning fat easier, and doing so is your goal, then why wouldn't you?

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    High carb CW diets are actually wildly successful. Plans like Weight watchers and Jenny Craig work wonderfully for many people. It's when they go into maintenance mode and return to higher caloric intakes or less exercise that the failure to keep it off occurs, but those programs depend on returning customers because they DO typically work if you are consistent with your energy needs and expenditure. Burning glucose doesn't automatically equate to constant eating, nor does it guarantee overeating. That's Non sequitur.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    So bottom line from all of this is, high fat, low carb (primal) is the way to go for long term and losing fat easily compared to other diets? I enjoy the primal diet, it's no problem eating only vegetables/fruits for carbs. I try not to go over 1800 calories/day and i don't feel hungry, but is 2,000 calories/day too much for a 5"6, 135 lb male to get below 10% body fat? Considering i exercise moderately

I ask this because every meal/calories are te same except dinner. I eat 4 chicken thighs every dinner and sometimes the sizes are different, meaning sometimes lesser calories and more.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Why is no one addressing the fact that this is a 24 year old kid who seems to be brand spanking new to weight training and is only 135lbs at 5'6" and 20%BF?????

He shouldn't be focusing on fat loss exclusively at this point. He should cash in on newbie gains!

Just eat to your appetite. Get an equal split of carbs fat and protein at each meal, and lift heavy things. If you work towards seeing gains in your lifts, I'd be willing to bet that you'll gain muscle AND lose fat.

You say equal split of carbs/fat/protein, wouldn't that not be primal then? I keep carb intake low at around 50 grams.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I agree that calories matter. But if your body is busy metabolizing sugars as its only fuel source ...
    I haven't seen anyone promoting a diet with sugars as the only fuel source.

So your statement is completely irrelevant.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykid View Post
    You say equal split of carbs/fat/protein, wouldn't that not be primal then? I keep carb intake low at around 50 grams.
    Read the book, you don't have to keep carbs that low at all. That's only for people with a lot of weight to lose, not for somebody like you. Eat plenty of vegetables, and don't be afraid of potatoes... they're 30g carbs for Christ's sake.

Primal is avoidance of refined sugars, bad oils, grains, etc... everything else is fair game, if it grows and dies, just eat it.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Ok thanks! But what if i'm comfortable around that range? I don't feel tired at all, is 50 grams still too low? And is 1800 calories enough or 2000 is better for my height/weight/age? I'm just trying to get a leaner body but eat enough at the same time.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    If you want to become muscular and strong, as apposed to lean, you will need to eat a whole lot more and eat starch in the range of 100-150 g a day.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast