Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Really confused about calorie intake page 2

Phillykid is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'm a male and what is recomping? Weight training?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Don't let chaco confuse you. Read these:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press...rint-diagrams/

Definitive Guide: The Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Follow those guidelines and you will effortlessly be lean and strong. It is that easy. Ignore these forums otherwise. They are filled with misinformation. Stick to the book and the basic guides.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I agree with Taco's assertation that if we're busy burning sugar then out body can't utilize fats and the dietary fats will then be stored on our bodies.

I disagree that fats will be stored in the absence of sugar however. If you adapt to fat burning and your body comes to prefer fats as a source of energy over carbs, then you CAN'T really store that fat because your body burns through it right away. This assumes that you are consuming a reasonable amount of course and not going off the deep end because calories do matter.

Also, as just said, calories still matter, so you can gain weight even if you're only eating carbs. Not to mention if you have metabolic issues, large doses of carbs may not be recommended for obvious reasons.

Experiment and find what makes you feel best and make it work. Everyone is different.

RohanFLB is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillykid View Post
    Hey guys, I'm fairly new to PB. It's been a couple days so far and I'm liking it a lot since I can enjoy better food. However, I'm really confused about calorie intake. In my other threads, I was told that I wasn't taking in enough calories. Here's a sample of what I eat and current weight/height.

Height: 5"6
    Weight: 135
    Body fat: roughly 20%
    Main goal: Not lose weight, just shed body fat at a fast pace, but healthy

Breakfast: 6 large eggs (2 yolks) cooked with garlic
    Lunch: Big salad, 6 cherry tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, bacon bits (good amount, i love bacon), turkey bits, and 2 tblespoon olive oil.
    Snack: 25 almonds
    Dinner: Chicken breast with 1 cup spinach and 1 tbspn olive oil.

I understand PB is a lifestyle and that I should focus on long-term, but honestly, I still want to lose body fat with fast results. I feel more energized and satisfied after I eat, but should I be eating more even though I want to lose fat at a faster pace? I do moderate body weight exercises 3x a week to build muscle as well.
    Hi Phillykid

I like primal and all but here's the most important thing to know when it comes to fat loss. I made a video on it. Check it out below:

Before You Diet, There's 3 Things You Should Know - YouTube

So basically you guys are saying as long as i keep carb intake low, eat a lot of fat, and maintain calories; i'll lose fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillykid View Post
    So basically you guys are saying as long as i keep carb intake low, eat a lot of fat, and maintain calories; i'll lose fat?
    Yes. Eat carbs from primal foods (roots, tubers, vegetables, fruits....), eat healthy portions of real meat (fat skin and all), eat to satiation but not past....and you will end up at a lean healthy weight. I'm not saying you will absolutely lose weight. Hell your a 5'6" male that only weights 135lbs after all. Your guessing 20% bodyfat, so your saying your skinny fat.

Recomping is where you work to increase your muscle mass while you lose fat. This leads to you actually not losing weight....hence recompositioning.

All (k, not all but lets keep this simple) nutrients are stored before they get used by the body....so chaco's or even drumrolls answers are a bit of play on words. Fat is stored in adipose, glucose is stored as glycogen. The difference is then the hormonic milieu that allows for those stores to be used as energy. People that have persistently raised or spiking insulin can not access their fat stores and burn them easily for energy....they are stuck relying on the sugar rollercoaster for energy rather than the 10's of thousands of calories locked in their fat tissue.

For gaining muscle and losing fat keep your protein up and do resistance exercise. The PB as laid out in the links I gave you does this automaticallly AND even comes with a fitness program.

Again, I'm just laying this out there.....but I'm in no way certain that a 24yo/m that is 5'6" and 135lbs needs to be making getting even more lean his priority.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-22-2012 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks! I have another question. Since i don't need to lose weight, just body fat, can i just eat the same amount of calories (1800-1900) and just exercise or do i still have to lower calories as my body fat decreases? I want to get to at least 10-11% body fat

For recomping...(losing fat but gaining muscle) eating the same calories should work just fine.

Okay thanks! Cleared a lot of things up.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I agree with Taco's assertation that if we're busy burning sugar then out body can't utilize fats and the dietary fats will then be stored on our bodies.

I disagree that fats will be stored in the absence of sugar however. If you adapt to fat burning and your body comes to prefer fats as a source of energy over carbs, then you CAN'T really store that fat because your body burns through it right away.
    This isn't remotely true.

Your body requires a certain amount of calories a day to function. If you eat more than those calories, you'll store it. If you eat less, you'll lose weight. It doesn't matter if it's fat, carbs or protein - if you overeat, you will gain weight.

This sums it up in detail:

How We Get Fat | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

And it is typically fat you store as fat...since it is already fat. You need to eat the least calorie dense foods that keep you the fullest longest - those are what you'll lose weight best on. Find your high satiety foods. The "Carbohydrate Curve" only seems to work in the beginning because you're removing flours, sugars and other low-satiety, low-nutrient, high calorie foods from your diet. If you simply stick to fruit and potatoes, the "Carbohydrate Curve" falls apart because they are generally high-satiety, high-nutrient, lower calorie foods. One of the greatest satiety-per-calorie foods in existence is the white potato. It is one of the highest GI starch sources on the planet, but it is one of the most effective tools for weight loss because they are extremely difficult to overeat, very nutritious and stick with you for a long time. Potatoes and whole eggs for me are two of the best fat loss tools.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-22-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast