Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone at goal and maintaining? page

BaconLuv is offline Junior Member

Anyone at goal and maintaining?

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

Just wondering how you knew you have reached your best body goal (ex body weight or body fat) . How do you know when you should start adding more calories so you stop losing weight? Or will your body just stop on its own no matter what you eat? I couldn't find much information on maintenance. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong spot?

Any help is appreciated!

ps- I am not sure I am close to maintenance yet, I think I still have about 10 lbs to go

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    For me it just stopped. I didn't make weight loss a focus and didn't count anything. Weight just kinda fell off till I leveled off at a healthy (ideal) weight. That tends to happen when you eat the food that your genes are craving . It really can be that easy. It was for me anyhow. I did actually start adding in snacks and stuff when I was trying to "bulk" with more lifting and such though, so yes you can tweak things....just don't have to.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BaconLuv View Post
    Hello all,

Just wondering how you knew you have reached your best body goal (ex body weight or body fat) . How do you know when you should start adding more calories so you stop losing weight? Or will your body just stop on its own no matter what you eat? I couldn't find much information on maintenance. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong spot?

Any help is appreciated!

ps- I am not sure I am close to maintenance yet, I think I still have about 10 lbs to go

Let me guess. You've done Weight Watchers a lot? ;-)

Having a set goal is different than your body deciding where it is healthy at.

I'm 5'10 and 140lbs eating this way.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    I'm 6'1, 160lbs eating this way. It just kinda happened. I started at 190, dropped to 165 within 3 months and stabilized there for about 10 months, then my body decided to let go of 5 more pounds, that was about 2 months ago. I exercise very little, once or twice a week is it, and I'm pretty lean with a body fat of 14%.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Great question! I have been thinking the same thing!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    For me it just stopped. I didn't make weight loss a focus and didn't count anything. Weight just kinda fell off till I leveled off at a healthy (ideal) weight. That tends to happen when you eat the food that your genes are craving . It really can be that easy. It was for me anyhow. I did actually start adding in snacks and stuff when I was trying to "bulk" with more lifting and such though, so yes you can tweak things....just don't have to.
    This is how it went for me as well. I got to a healthy weight eating based on appetite. Then I just stopped losing and didn't change anything.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I was already happy with myself when I started, but I dropped from 20-22% body fat down to 18-19% body fat in a matter of weeks, and so long as I don't go on emtional eating binges, I stay there. I went on an emotional eating binge christmas of last year (when my parents came to visit), and between Australia (august trip) and October of this year when I was stressing about my ILs visiting. Then dropped the excess weight when I went back to normal, basic primal (you know, not eating cakes, cookies, ice cream adn the like).

So, yeah, easy to maintain. 5 ft 7, 128, no fuss no muss.

For_Sparta is offline Junior Member
    +1 to it just kinda happened. You reach the point where it's clear from your reflection in the mirror that you needn't worry about losing any more. As a rough guide for a heavily trained muscular male that point is usually reached at weight (in kg) = height (in cm) - 100, so I've been floating around 80kg at 180cm for a fair while now +/- a few kg depending on carb intake which can add significant water weight over only a few days. Having said that little things like increased definition and vascularity keep improving slowly over time. But nothing to stress about and there certainly was never a point where I thought "omg I've reached my goal, must adjust calories NOW!" just keep doing what you're doing and enjoy the ride ;-)

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    +1 on the it just happened effortlessly bit. Been at current BMI of 22.5 for 3 years without thinking about calories. Often when reading this board I see targets that don't seem to make sense. How do you know you have ten pound to go?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Paleobird Guest
    The first part was effortless for me, the second half I had to work for (nothing too arduous, just being mindful of caloric intake.) In all I have lost 65 lbs from 210 to 145 and gone from a 16 to a 6. I have been at goal weight and maintaining for about a year and a half now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast