Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I eating enough or too much fat?? page

Phillykid is offline Senior Member

Am I eating enough or too much fat??

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, i'm Justin. I just started Primal a couple days after reading about it and success stories and thought i'd give it a try. To start off, i was on the usual oatmeal/egg whites, chicken breast/vegetable, protein shakes diet. I ate 1,200 calories a day, but was never consistent. I like primal because of more food choices, but i'm not sure if i'm eating enough. Here's a sample of what I usually eat and my weight/height.

Height: 5"6
    Weight: 135
    Body fat: roughly 20%
    Main goal: Not lose weight, just shed body fat at a fast pace, but healthy

Breakfast: 6 large eggs (2 yolks) cooked with garlic
    Lunch: Big salad, 6 cherry tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, bacon bits (good amount, i love bacon), turkey bits, and 2 tblespoon olive oil.
    Snack: 25 almonds
    Dinner: Chicken breast with 1 cup spinach and 1 tbspn olive oil.

I try not to count calories, but at the same time not to overeat. I would say I eat about 1300-1400 calories depending on how much fat I eat. The amount of olive oil and bacon bits is sometimes different, but not by a lot. If I want to lose body fat, should i be eating more or am i not eating enough of something?? I keep my carb intake low, but i feel like i'm consuming too much fat. I also do moderate body weight exercises 3x a week.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    That does not sound like enough food for a guy.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    6 eggs should be accompanied by SIX egg yolks and 4-6 pieces of bacon (not two egg yolks).

Use real bacon on your salad if you love it .

Eat the whole chicken with skin on for dinner (well maybe a half a chicken if your watching the calories).

Read the book cause if your not eating the whole animal with fat, skin and all then your not enjoying this WOE the way your ancestors did!

Looks to me like your doing low carb, low fa,t low calorie, and moderate protein.......not sustainable. You need energy and thats what the fat was/is for! You can throw in some fruit or berries too if you wish.

Read this page The Primal Blueprint Diagrams | Mark's Daily Apple . Keep working on it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-18-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Really? But doesn't calories still matter of i'm trying to get as lean as possible? I want to increase fat/protein, but worried about too many calories

Quote Originally Posted by Phillykid View Post
    Really? But doesn't calories still matter of i'm trying to get as lean as possible? I want to increase fat/protein, but worried about too many calories
    Sounds like you need more lean mass. I'd be more concerned with that first off. Eat clean and get healthy with enough calories while you get a bit stronger, then think about leaning out if you want. Thats what I would recommend anyhow.

So i should eat what i'm eating now, but increase protein? Honestly, i want to lose fat at a good pace

At 135lbs I dunno what to tell ya....how much do you want to lose?

I just want to look lean and toned. So i'm confused, does calories in/out matter?

leoyaus is offline Junior Member
    How active are you?

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My son is almost your exact age, height, weight and probably body comp. He probably eats 2500 cal/day and has a physically demanding job with no other exercise. At 1300-1400 calories/day, even a woman your height, weight and age would be hard-pressed to maintain her lean body weight. When a person is as close to an ideal weight as you are (you might even be close to underweight for a young man your size), I think the focus should be on heavy lifting and eating the most nutritious food possible. Others can better advise on effective macro ratios for someone in your situation. But why not eat 4 or 5 whole eggs for breakfast, hard boil the others for a snack later and ditch the almonds?

I'm not sure that rapid fat loss at close to ideal weight is even a realistic goal. Even for a young man...
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast