Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaime Oliver's Food Relovution page

simplyryde is offline Member

Jaime Oliver's Food Relovution

Shop Now
    Has anyone been watching this show? I have watched every week, and really enjoyed it. The diet he is proposing is not completely primal, but heathly for the most part. I don't get fired up over too many issues, but to see these kids unhealthy and overweight because of ignorance and burearacy, pisses me off. When I was in school, we knew the school food was bad, and most of us brown bagged it. These kids have no idea what a healthy meal looks like.

primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Getting the DJ on board was cool. Chow mein and pasta? At least it's easy to make, cheap, and a start in the right direction.

maba is offline Senior Member
    Darn, I forgot to DVR it! Do you know if they replay it some other day?

Edge is offline Member
    maba, I know you can watch in on hulu.com.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Not perfect, but we shouldn't let our idea of perfect ruin good. It's all about progress. I'd much rather have kids on that diet then what most of them are on right now... 20 percent of 5th grades are on the ADD drug Ritalin, that is not good for this country

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Edge is offline Member
    After dealing with my daughter's elementary school try to convince us that she is ADHD (Psychologist disagrees) and telling us we should consider medicating her (I disagree), I'm not surprised at all that 20% of 5th graders are indeed medicated. I mean, my daughter is 6! All 6-year-olds are frigging ADD. Deeper issue there, but yeah, our society has gotten way, way out of whack, and educators are one of the deepest, burning roots of the problem.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Yeah... It's really sad that small children are assumed ADD because they have lots of energy... it's the lethargic, fat, and the fearful of moving without total approval that are the desired... Does NO ONE see that it's the "perfect" children that are wacked out? And the Red Shirting that's happening just to deal with this is INSANE...

I'm glad to see ANY improvement in the diet offered children... It's so sad to see such crap offered... and even more sad to see children on the verge of starvation having school food as their only meals... Many kids show up to school near starved on Mondays... And that anyone expects near starving, sugar charged children to focus... Jeesh... did everyone in charge graduate at the bottom of their classes???

Shine is offline Member
    I just discovered that this was on Hulu (I don't have a TV right now). Usually, reality TV bores me to tears but I am totally obsessed with this show! Yeah, he does include noodles, rice, and potatoes, but his reliance upon fresh, whole foods makes up for it. It could be much worse; imagine if someone was trying to veganize the school lunches.

sebzzz is offline Member
    Like everybody says, it's a good start. Jamie won't be the one bringing primal ideas though. He comes from a Italian and French cuisine background and gourmet cuisine in general is not about health at all, but taste, smell and look.

I studied in a cooking school for a while, and nutrition courses are nowhere to be found in those classes. Chefs eat plenty of bread, pancakes, chocolate, etc, as long as it's properly done and tastes good.
    Get great paleo diet lifestyle tricks, recipes and cooking tips. My contribution to the paleo movement.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Actually a good culinary school will have an excellent nutrition class... But they are not designed from a medical point of view... they are designed to teach a prospective chef how to meet requests... My DH is an amazing chef... Short of some creative NEW titles that people have made up for themselves, a good chef knows how to meet your needs if you say you are a vegetarian, or a vegan, can't have gluten or any grains. HE/she doesn't have to ask... I have found it interesting that some people don't know what they are... stating they must have a vegan meal, and then flip out because the cheese was left off their plate. I have to say, I haven't been able to throw him a single curve ball with my primal goals... I've told him what the guidelines are... and done... (now whether or not he wants to eat that way... well , we'll see!)

I'm not sure I'd agree that gourmet cuisine is not about health.... It is about taste, smell and appearance... most awesome chefs go for whole foods, and are horrified by all the processed crap... but yes, they do most often utilize grains and sugar... And an awesome chef can do anything with any style of diet... I don't think Jamie will be bringing the primal ideal forward, 'cause it's not his style... not 'cause he couldn't...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast