Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaime Oliver's Food Relovution page 2

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalclubber View Post
    Getting the DJ on board was cool. Chow mein and pasta? At least it's easy to make, cheap, and a start in the right direction.
    Yes, it is without a doubt a step in the right direction. I caught a few minutes of last night's episode and they made "buckwheat" pasta with a homemade sauce that contained 7 different veggies. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't buckwheat a fruit? Or, at least, it is gluten free. I believe there was also a salad. They were at the high school and just about everyone wanted change. Everyone went in Jamies line and no one went in the french fry line. This is not only a small step but a large step to me. I am loving Jamie to death - he is doing a good deed. It's not Primal, but its close. He loves fresh, whole food. This includes veggies and greens. What's not to love?

Quote Originally Posted by maba View Post
    Darn, I forgot to DVR it! Do you know if they replay it some other day?
    Go to abc.com to watch all the episodes for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    I just discovered that this was on Hulu (I don't have a TV right now). Usually, reality TV bores me to tears but I am totally obsessed with this show! Yeah, he does include noodles, rice, and potatoes, but his reliance upon fresh, whole foods makes up for it. It could be much worse; imagine if someone was trying to veganize the school lunches.
    abc.com

Quote Originally Posted by sebzzz View Post
    Like everybody says, it's a good start. Jamie won't be the one bringing primal ideas though. He comes from a Italian and French cuisine background and gourmet cuisine in general is not about health at all, but taste, smell and look.

I studied in a cooking school for a while, and nutrition courses are nowhere to be found in those classes. Chefs eat plenty of bread, pancakes, chocolate, etc, as long as it's properly done and tastes good.
    He may come from an Italian and French cuisine background, but what he is doing is inspiring. Do you believe he should bring in Primal food to the schools? No, not a chance. Maybe 10 years from now when the entire population is eating Primal

Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post

I'm not sure I'd agree that gourmet cuisine is not about health.... It is about taste, smell and appearance... most awesome chefs go for whole foods, and are horrified by all the processed crap... but yes, they do most often utilize grains and sugar... And an awesome chef can do anything with any style of diet... I don't think Jamie will be bringing the primal ideal forward, 'cause it's not his style... not 'cause he couldn't...
    I agree 100%
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Lisa B is offline Junior Member
    I'm watching it!!! I just stumbled upon a show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WivZHJhgOK8 on planet green ...a woman is trying to get people out of their cars and on bikes for one day a week / in England/ it's very frustrating to see how people are so resistant to positive change

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    I love Jamie, too...been watching him for years.

While not exactly primal, it is a huge improvement over what the standard American diet is in school.
    Bully for you, Jamie!

Twinmamma -
    as far as chefs/nutrition, etc goes.... I agree most really good chefs are into whole natural unprocessed ingredients - I think the twist comes in that food is a commoditiy and they prepare what sells... as long as starchy, unprimal food (pastas etc) are "in style" and "demand" - that is what they make because the restaurant business is competitive and cut-throat. Now I think all of us would patronize places catering to or - at least- offering Primal menu selections... but the restaurants need to stay in business and make money - so they aren't about to assume the role of "food police" and tell their customers "We won't serve you pasta and bread - it is killing you!"... and so the chefs are obligated to comply....

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    Hey Fit... you're probably right on the grand scheme of things... DH def. has to cater to his clients or he wouldn't have a job. But if he's serving pasta and bread... it has real whole food ingredients...

In a consumer world... it's the consumers right to buy what they legally can. In an educational environment where food is provided on the tax payers dollar, it is unacceptable to supply children with CRAP... And even though many people will eat at McD's, I've never met one that thought they were actually eating a "healthy" meal... I think most people, know they are eating junk... I suspect many eat it, 'cause they don't think they can afford better quality food... It's a show like this that teaches people that on the same budget you can do WAY better... and NOT to do so is inexcusable...

I would like to see the organic farmers of the world step up and "donate" a percentage of food cost to schools... that's a win win situation... lowers their taxable incomes... creates a future market!

I'll tell you... it's not just the food that is suffering in the educational environment... it's EVERYTHING! I hope everyone pays attn. Our country is going to have a bunch of sugared up, poorly educate adults taking care of it's SRs that are creating this mess!

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I watched this show for the first time last night. I definitely see the appeal! The man is on fire to save lives, which is a feeling many of us on this forum can relate to.

It's just too bad the foods he offers are such a minor improvement over the existing fare. Instead of sugared cow's milk, the children get plain cow's milk. Instead of "cheese/cheese-substitute pizza" and french fries, they get baked potatoes and macaroni and cheese. Buckwheat, while better than regular wheat, is still a grain. Every one of his dishes has a major emphasis on carbs.

I don't want to criticize, because anything's an improvement for the people he's trying to help. And I love his rejection of processed and artificial foods in favor of fresh, local, whole ingredients. It's just a shame that he doesn't aim for a healthier macronutrient ratio. Of course, if he tried feeding the kids a real primal diet he'd probably be chased out of town by an angry mob. And I don't want to be personal about it, but look carefully at Jamie Oliver's face and neck. This is a not a particularly lean man and he is showing the hormonal effects of a high-carb diet.

That said, I wouldn't want to make the perfect the enemy of the good. It's a very compelling show, especially when he's fighting the prejudices of the adults. I wish there were more people with his motivation. If only he could be pointed to this web site.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinmama View Post
    I'll tell you... it's not just the food that is suffering in the educational environment... it's EVERYTHING! I hope everyone pays attn. Our country is going to have a bunch of sugared up, poorly educate adults taking care of it's SRs that are creating this mess!
    I can tell you from experience this is absolutely true. Teaching a class after the lunch period when the kids on the high of their blood sugar roller coaster is a nightmare. Nothing gets done.

The rest of the day they are drinking Monster or Gatorade - because we all know that sitting in class is an extreme sport - and trying desperately to stave off the crash part of the same roller coaster.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Regardless of what foods they're eating, we have no right to expect children to tolerate being stuffed into a classroom 35 hours a week.

None whatsoever. Human beings deserve better.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Regardless of what foods they're eating, we have no right to expect children to tolerate being stuffed into a classroom 35 hours a week.

None whatsoever. Human beings deserve better.
    Amen. They need time to play games, exercise naturally, explore, experiment, daydream, and socialize.

And I teach fairly-motivated high school honors students.

What happens when you put them in a classroom from 8 am to 3 pm is that they figure out ways to daydream, socialize, and even play games (what a PIA this can be)--no exercise, little self-motivated exploration or experimentation, and a compromised learning process.

Some days I fear that I'm literally killing my students. It's awful.

But I do my best and I'm trying to do better, and I may be the best they can get.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Jamie must stick to the strict guidelines enforced by the local school board. Two starches per meal. He made a comment on the first episode about how he disagreed with that and eating two starches per meal would make kids fat.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharonll View Post
    Jamie must stick to the strict guidelines enforced by the local school board. Two starches per meal. He made a comment on the first episode about how he disagreed with that and eating two starches per meal would make kids fat.
    I am so happy you just brought that up. I clearly remember him saying that as well. So, if he could, maybe his food choices would be more primalish. But, if he has to have carbs at least its buckwheat which is better than wheat. Its a sign that he does know what hes doing.

And, yes, I notice too that he is not particularly lean either. But, by no means is he overweight. I believe he fails to exercise as much as he should and probably lacks protein. But, there are opportunity costs with everything. He is out to save our CHILDREN... the FUTURE OF OUR WORLD...so he does not have as much time as most of us do.

Think about it...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast