Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting boards? page 2

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Why wouldn't it fit in the dishwasher, you don't have to buy a several foot long one, they've got them in all the same sizes as any other material.
    I mean that wood isn't dish-washable (yup, probably made up a new term)

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Wooden boards can't go in the dishwasher. There's nothing inherently wrong with plastic. Speaking as a mom who just got my first dishwasher at age 51, just over a year ago, I can tell you that I love my new plastic cutting boards and my old wooden ones only get pulled out on occasion. If you want to change you mom's cutting behaviors, make it easy for her. Go for plastic or silicon (I have no experience with silicon, but it comes highly recommended above.
    I might do so indeed, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    See this article below. If she gets a plastic one, then she does need to be very careful with it.

UC-Davis Food Safety Laboratory: Cutting Board Research

"We soon found that disease bacteria such as these were not recoverable from wooden surfaces in a short time after they were applied, unless very large numbers were used. New plastic surfaces allowed the bacteria to persist, but were easily cleaned and disinfected. However, wooden boards that had been used and had many knife cuts acted almost the same as new wood, whereas plastic surfaces that were knife-scarred were impossible to clean and disinfect manually, especially when food residues such as chicken fat were present. Scanning electron micrographs revealed highly significant damage to plastic surfaces from knife cuts.

Although the bacteria that have disappeared from the wood surfaces are found alive inside the wood for some time after application, they evidently do not multiply, and they gradually die. They can be detected only by splitting or gouging the wood or by forcing water completely through from one surface to the other. If a sharp knife is used to cut into the work surfaces after used plastic or wood has been contaminated with bacteria and cleaned manually, more bacteria are recovered from a used plastic surface than from a used wood surface."
    I see, though she doesn't use chef knives or ones that are prone to cut the surface, so I guess plastic should be decent.
    I will talk to her and we'll decide on the matter. Thanks for the extra info.

jeffdurke is offline Junior Member

Go for wood cutting boards

I've used wood cutting boards for 8 years now. Don't go for the cheap ones or the plastic ones.
    These two sites below do an excellent job in helping you choose the best wood cutting board.
    The Board Smith
    Choosing The Best Wood Cutting Boards | Wood Cutting Boards Guide

Hope this helps
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    Hey,

For years now my mom is cutting all the vegetables and fruits either in the air (indeed), or in a plate.
    I thought of offering her to buy a cutting board, thinking it would be a lot more efficient.
    Any suggestions of a good cutting board? I looked into it and there seem to be a huge variety. Wood or plastic, anti-bacterial and so. (I think it would be preferable if it could fit in the dish washer, she puts everything there, even after a manual clean-up).

Thanks in advance.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffdurke View Post
    I've used wood cutting boards for 8 years now. Don't go for the cheap ones or the plastic ones.
    These two sites below do an excellent job in helping you choose the best wood cutting board.
    The Board Smith
    Choosing The Best Wood Cutting Boards | Wood Cutting Boards Guide

Hope this helps
    Jeff
    I've had a BoardSmith board for about 6-7 years. I love it. It still looks beautiful and is a joy to cut upon.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    I bought these for my mom awhile back. She thought they were cute and they are all small enough to go into the dish washer. Since they're on display she remembers to use them more, too, as a bonus.

Amazon.com: Joseph Joseph Index Chopping Board Set: Kitchen & Dining

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I made the cutting board we use out of soft maple, and I am making one for my daughter next week because she wants on for her birthday. I have used plastic cutting boards, but I prefer wood.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    I have both. The plastic ones all go into the dishwasher with each use, that wash method works much better for plastic than hand-washing. I have five people whacking away at stuff in the kitchen at my house, and we have a stack of plastic boards, from small to large, the largest still juuuust fitting into the dishwasher.

The wooden ones are usually pulled out for holiday roast slicing.

By chopping feel, I prefer wood, though. A good wooden board is sweeeet. But if your mom really wouldn't be able to tell the difference, or really wouldn't care much about things like feel or aesthetics, just get a sturdy plastic one - something with a bit of heft, so it doesn't go sliding around the table or counter. Wood does take a bit of care, she might not like that, in addition to changing her chopping style.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I use a glass one now, cause it looks cool (I'm weird like that). I used to have a couple of different sized plastic boards that I used almost daily for 10+ years and I'm still around to tell you about it.

p.s. and I totally cut and chop food in the air sometimes.

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Bamboo is easy to clean--often simple faucet pressure is enough. But it is fragile so don't press hard with strong knives. Also, a board with gutters and feet is easier to use.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I use a glass one now, cause it looks cool (I'm weird like that). I used to have a couple of different sized plastic boards that I used almost daily for 10+ years and I'm still around to tell you about it.
    Glass cutting boards are hard on knives. I use them to serve sushi.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I thought this thread was going to be about how bad it sucks storing them and what a general pain on the balls they are- I just clean the counter under stuff before and after.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast