I'm thinking of switching my cats to a raw diet. I know this has been brought up before (prior threads have been a WEALTH of knowledge and help thus far!), but I have a couple of specific concerns. I thought maybe some people here would have a helpful perspective.

I have two cats - we'll call them Fatso and Special Kitty. Special Kitty is a breed that's known for developing allergies to things. In fact, one of the reasons I'm attracted to the idea of a raw diet is the ability that comes with it to rotate the meats I give them, thus reducing the risk of Special Kitty's being overexposed and developing an allergy to any given meat.

Anyway, one of Special Kitty's less charming prior allergies was the enamel on his teeth, so now he has none. I mean, we tried steroid shots, we even had him on a hypoallergenic, grain-free food (on my then-grad-student-stipend...ouch!), but his gingivitis was just so bad, he wouldn't eat. He was wasting away until we yanked his teeth, and then he REALLY bounced back!

Special Kitty can actually throw back dry kibble with the best of them, teeth or no teeth, and I have no doubt he'd make short work of chopped-or-ground muscle and organ meat. It's the bones that have me stumped. I've got a food processor, but no meat grinder. What to do? Is it possible to buy bone meal? I don't suppose bone broth would fill that void (probably not adequately). I'll throw some whole raw bones in for Fatso at any rate, but how best to accomodate Special Kitty? Any ideas? Do you think he could handle fish bones with no teeth?

Concern number two: I live in a part of the world where it's not always possible to tell how your meat was raised or what it ate prior to slaughter. What are your thoughts on the safety of raw food for cats - including in particular liver - when you can't guarantee you're buying pure, sparkly, grass-fed wholesome goodness?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom, oh hive mind of primal pet owners! :-)