Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Primal Feline - how to feed a toothless carnivore? page 2

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I save my bones, skin etc from my baked chickens or whatever. I put them in a crock pot, or even on the stove on low. Add veggies like onions, carrots, celery, garlic. Any other spices you want. And water and a little Vinegar. Vinegar is key to drawing out more of the goodness. After 24 hours, you can smush up the bones with your fingers. I just grind it all up, veggies, bones and all in my blender.

I havent heard anyone say yet that I should not grind up the bones, and so I do. If I dont have much skin in it, I go ahead and grind it right away. Otherwise let it cool off in the frig and take the fat off the top. High PUFA and damaged beyond repair, so says Mark regarding Chicken fat.

Cooking with Bones | Mark's Daily Apple

I have also been giving my dogs the whey off my homemade yogurt. One drinks it, one doesn't.
    Thanks! I, too, add vinegar.

A few more questions, please...

After grinding in the blender, then you drink cups of it like soup? And - do you personally use this method (grinding bones) with other types of animal bones as well (like beef or lamb), or do you process only chicken bones in this way?

Edit - thanks for the link to Mark's article - just read it.
    Last edited by Crabbcakes; 12-19-2012 at 03:45 AM.

NewGrayMare is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kata View Post
    NewGrayMare, I'm gonna steal that tip about Primal Raw. I've been wanting to switch my guys to a raw diet too but have always been afraid of screwing up and feeding them the wrong thing, but I did give them a few chicken livers tonight. They looked so cute begging, I couldn't help it.
    You're more than welcome to steal that tip! Cats have such special needs with their vitamins, enzymes, and minerals that I'm always afraid do more harm than good. After all, giving them enough taurine is crucial to their eyesight! Primal Raw is just so easy with their frozen meaty nuggets that thaw easily, apparently taste great, and really don't cost all that much more than canned.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I havent heard anyone say yet that I should not grind up the bones, and so I do.
    If your cat has issues with their kidneys or constipation, then including bones is not a good idea. The higher calcium content could aggravate renal failure or make the constipation worse. Other than those two issues, bones are a very good idea!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Thanks! I, too, add vinegar.

A few more questions, please...

After grinding in the blender, then you drink cups of it like soup? And - do you personally use this method (grinding bones) with other types of animal bones as well (like beef or lamb), or do you process only chicken bones in this way?

Edit - thanks for the link to Mark's article - just read it.
    Yes I drink it. It is fairly thick so I like to put it in a bowl, and use a soup spoon. I think I am getting something more that way I guess. Lately I have been using it like a gravy for my tators, or even more broth for more like a soup. I havent made a big pot of soup yet, but if I did, it would be my chicken stock.

I havent done other bones yet, but I would if I had them. I think they might need to go a couple of days though if you want to grind the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGrayMare View Post
    Other than those two issues, bones are a very good idea!
    Thanks for the info! I don't have a cat, I drink it ha. But still good to know incase I ever do. I love cats, and do want one again some day but my daughter that is back home until after graduation, has issues with them
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12