Thread: A year of primal, in numbers for a type 2 diabetic... page

Motorhead is offline Member

A year of primal, in numbers for a type 2 diabetic...

Primal Fuel
    Just got my latest blood work results back and thought I would share. All comparison percentages are from before going primal

Total Cholesterol: 174 -8%
    HDL: 35 +20% (bad genes)
    Triglycerides: 142 -56%
    LDL: 111 -10%
    Glucose: 97 -38%
    A1C: 5.4 -30%
    AST: 20 -40% (liver enzymes)
    ALT: 16 -69% (liver enzymes)

I have seen a couple of questions on here lately about Type II diabetes and wanted to share some things I have learned in the past year...

Lifting weights, specifically burning glucogen has greatly increased my insulin sensitivity. I went to an all you can eat buffet a few weeks ago, destroyed the meal, tons of sugar and cheesecake (I am not advocating this, just happened) and came back with a 2 hr. postprandial BS of 114 mg/dl. Burn that glucogen, create a glucose sink and your body will respond. A few months ago I was down to 299#, right now sitting at 315 and pretty damn happy. With the 15 pounds, clothing is still fitting the same and I have more muscle showing. I have been IF with one meal per day with excellent results. I still have a slight issue with bindging at night but given the timing of my meals I am able to keep my A1C in check and not overeat. If anything I was under eating for a while and once I brought my calories in check, the muscle came on.

If I would have to guess, I am about 70% primal, now to improve on that and reach my goal. Right now thinking 10% BF and about 275# should be about right (I am 6'4" and have a fair bit of muscle already)
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Just got my latest blood work results back and thought I would share. All comparison percentages are from before going primal

Total Cholesterol: 174 -8%
    HDL: 35 +20% (bad genes)
    Triglycerides: 142 -56%
    LDL: 111 -10%
    Glucose: 97 -38%
    A1C: 5.4 -30%
    AST: 20 -40% (liver enzymes)
    ALT: 16 -69% (liver enzymes)

I have seen a couple of questions on here lately about Type II diabetes and wanted to share some things I have learned in the past year...

Lifting weights, specifically burning glucogen has greatly increased my insulin sensitivity. I went to an all you can eat buffet a few weeks ago, destroyed the meal, tons of sugar and cheesecake (I am not advocating this, just happened) and came back with a 2 hr. postprandial BS of 114 mg/dl. Burn that glucogen, create a glucose sink and your body will respond. A few months ago I was down to 299#, right now sitting at 315 and pretty damn happy. With the 15 pounds, clothing is still fitting the same and I have more muscle showing. I have been IF with one meal per day with excellent results. I still have a slight issue with bindging at night but given the timing of my meals I am able to keep my A1C in check and not overeat. If anything I was under eating for a while and once I brought my calories in check, the muscle came on.

If I would have to guess, I am about 70% primal, now to improve on that and reach my goal. Right now thinking 10% BF and about 275# should be about right (I am 6'4" and have a fair bit of muscle already)
    You mean glycogen, not glucagen, right? Are you taking meds for your T2?
    Last edited by Artbuc; 12-18-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    You mean glycogen, not glucagen, right? Are you taking meds for your T2?
    Yes, glycogen. 500mg Metformin daily since diagnosis. Not sure it's needed, but from all my research it can't hurt.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Great to hear! Congrats on your current and future health improvements!

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
    Yes, glycogen. 500mg Metformin daily since diagnosis. Not sure it's needed, but from all my research it can't hurt.
    What would the cheesecake binge have done to your blood sugar if you were not on metformin? Was your T2 diagnosis based on fasting BG, A1C or the OGTT? Glad you posted your results and are doing so well.

T2 was diagnosed with all 3. ~135 mg/dl fasting BG, 7.7 A1C and don't remember the OGTT result but it was not normal. I have been on the same dose of Metformin since diagnosis. The postprandial numbers would not have been that good 9 months ago, my insulin sensitivity has improved. I know I am not "cured" but if I continue to follow this WOE and keep losing weight and putting on muscle, I can enjoy the occasional buffet and not suffer any negative effects in the long term.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Not a fan of ur trigs going up so much on primal. Trig:hdl ratio is ehhh..
    Has anyone else seen their trigs skyrocket on primal?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Been primal for over a year. Just had bloodwork done. My trig. were 57. That's half of what it was before.

My trigs went DOWN! I know 142 is not low, and would like them under 100, but I believe that as a fat burning beast with still a large amount of fat to rid myself of, my blood should be pretty full of trigs while I am losing weight or fasting.
    Last edited by Motorhead; 12-19-2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typo on trig #

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Dude ...reread it. NEGATIVE 56%....as in improved.