Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Costco? page

reallygravity is offline Senior Member

Costco?

Primal Fuel
    I have been toying with the idea of getting Costco membership, but first wanted to discuss with you if it really worth it (when it comes to food). We try to eat grass-fed meats and organic vegetables and fruit as much as we can. Does Costco sell any of this? What about the "accessories" such as coconut milk, nut butters?

If you have a Costco membership, what do you buy? It is quite a distance from our home, so dont want to jump in without getting an overall idea.

Thanks!

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    I never get much so I mooch off a friend's membership. They'll let you split the tab with a friend on their membership. Find a friend with a membership and go check yours out!

I'm far enough away I don't tend to get much in the way of fresh food. They do have a good selection of things like nut butters and coconut milk. I always get a large bottle of maple syrup and a whole flat of Perrier!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    There's a good thread buried somewhere on the forum about what people buy at Costco to stay primal. To answer your question IMO it's a great place to shop. Of course you have to decide for yourself if the $55 or $110 annual membership is worth it. If you get the $110 Executive membership you earn 2% back on all purchases which if you shop there enough will pay for the next years fees. Here are just a few of the things I've either seen and/or purchased:

Frozen Normandy (or other) veggie blend...love them
    Frozen green beans
    Organic fruits/veggies
    Grass fed burger
    Whole/natural cheeses
    Real Olive Oil
    Organic eggs
    Wild Salmon
    Real organic butter

They sell all kinds of other great stuff too including cheap gas. I could wander the aisles of Costco for hours. I also like Costco because the CEO pays his employees a decent wage and offers good benefits. He has been pressured by Wall Street to curb both but he refuses to do so because he wants to be a good steward. Only thing is I rarely get out of the store for under a 100 bucks so if your budget is tight you have to shop smart.

andyTHFC is offline Member
    Their frozen, organic veggies come from China. May not matter to some, but it does to me. Otherwsie I'm very happy with their selection.

Thank you so much! This is an awesome list. I am going to dig up that thread you are talking about.

Ah, good to know.

I just found out that a friend of mine has a membership. Wooohoo!!!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    As it happens I was just making lunch and checked: frozen Normandy blend comes from US/Mexico and frozen organic beans from WA state. Don't doubt that some stuff comes from China, but not all.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    When I move to NOLA, I kept up my Costco membership so I could use Costco online. The money I've saved on just prescriptions and organic coffee is totally worth it. Also, almost anytime there has been an identical item on costco.com and amazon, I've found it to be less money at the costco site - not as much variety on costco.com, though. We're getting a warehouse summer of 2013 and I'm so psyched!

I agree with finding a friend to split the membership. My ex and I each pay for the membership (because it doesn't cost more for a family of two) every other year even though we live 2000 miles apart now.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    There you go then.

One thing to remember is that they are a diversity over time and very broad-range store. In other words, Costco is the only store I go to where I could buy an $8000 watch and a $13 pair of generic denim jeans on the same visit, and though at any given time the selection is kinda weak, over the course of a year they cycle through a pretty diverse selection of products. Last year I stocked up on frozen escargot and spanish makerel... but they will probably never have either again.

They also vary things by region, so the fact that the Costco near me sells big tubs of unrefined coconut oil doesn't mean your local Costco will do the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast