Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Costco? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I forgot. If you buy a computer at Costco, you get concierge service for the life of the computer (might be all electronics, but for sure computers). Also, I had to exchange a computer I'd purchased in OR and then went right on the road. Did the exchange in CA with no hassle - they even handled the fact that OR has no sales tax and CA does. No waiting for a half hour while someone they tried to find someone with a brain to handle the transaction. Very good company to deal with.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    They do sell different things at different stores, sometimes even within the same city. I have two Costcos within easy driving distance. One has herring and Kerrygold butter, the other does not. But the second one DOES have coconut oil and seaweed salad. Also, they are responsive to written(not email) letters. If you take the time to write a letter about something you would like to see at a store, they do their best.

infradiggy is offline Junior Member
    Costco is bodacious. I was quite bummed on my last visit, however, to discover they had just discontinued my favorite organic ground beef burger patties.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I live in Norcal and find it easier and cheaper to purchase organic produce in smaller quantities at local grocery stores. Same with the grass-fed meats and high quality cheeses.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    What? They sell stuff online?!

Edit: Callebaut 70% Dark Chocolate Blocks 10 kg Sweet baby Jesus...

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    We pick up Kerrygold butter, Kerrygold Dubliner cheese, organic apples (from WA!), and recently I discovered New Zealand lamb... by default, it is grass-fed. I have a better source for grass-fed beef, but being able to get some nice lamb is great! Oh, and they also have wild-caught salmon fillets, and organic chicken.

I'm also a fan of some of the clothing, as I can get the brand of jeans I really like, for about a third the price.

SarahChzBurg is offline Junior Member
    COCONUT OIL!!! Huge thing for $15. It's basically worth it just for that, but we LOVE Costco and buy some produce, meat, eggs, and SPICES there.

It's an amazing company, and I think everyone who has one close by them should join. You can also return anything there. We bought some Circulon pots/pans in 2007 and the nonstick just started coming off last year. We returned them w/o a receipt and got a FULL REFUND. We decided to buy the Costco brand pots and pans (Kirkland) this time, since they're among the highest rated on consumer reports.

I love Costco.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyTHFC View Post
    Their frozen, organic veggies come from China. May not matter to some, but it does to me. Otherwsie I'm very happy with their selection.
    Out of curiosity I checked the freezer section of a Costco here in NorTex.

Their frozen, organic broccoli came from China. The rest of their frozen, organic veggies came from Washington state.

I suspect we have another example of what I was talking about with "diversity over time"/"diversity over distance" ... Costco stocks stores differently so it's entirely possible that the stores around Chicago have only frozen veggies from China. It's also possible that the stores in both places had only frozen veggies from China a year ago but they are mostly from Washington state today. It is possible that next month the frozen, organic broccoli will come from South America. A single visit only gives a snapshot.

Because it was asked: This Costco had coconut milk in the dairy case. 1.5 gallons for $10. I don't know if that is a good price or not.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Yep... coconut oil, organic ground beef, organic chicken thighs, wild fish, avocados, toilet paper, etc.

miata is offline Senior Member

Mixed bag

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Costco has some good stuff like fresh (or thawed?) wild salmon, cod and other fish when in season. They also have some nice frozen versions of these in the freezer section. I really like the shrink wrapped Alaskan Wild King Salmon in a sauce. Pull them out of the freezer when I get home a stick them in hot water. By the time the oven is warmed up the fish is thawed. I love eating one of these on top of a giant bed of greens covered with walnut oil, mixed nuts, some olives, etc. Also, non food items like toilet paper, kitchen paper, ziplock bags, aluminum foil, plastic wrap, etc. The list goes on and on.

Other things I get are EVOO, Nutiva coconut oil, olives, artichoke hearts, quinoa, coconut juice, organic spinach, big bags of walnuts, almonds, pecans, nori seaweed, POM pomegranate juice (for flavoring sparking water) canned diced tomatoes.

On the other hand, 6 months ago I used to get able to get frozen organic strawberries or blueberries or mixed berries for my energy blends. Now, I can only get non-organic versions of the strawberries and mixed berries. Now I'm going to have to find another source. I don't know how many times I have gotten attached to something at Costco and they discontinue it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast