Thread: Much needed weight gain page

Paul is offline Junior Member

Much needed weight gain

Shop Now
    Guys I am desperately trying to put weight on, but I just can't seem to manage it, any suggestions on how to improve the following diet would be greatly appreciated Also I try to follow the crossfit wods.

Breakfast yogurt mix of;
    1 apple,
    1 banana
    30g Mixed nuts
    50g blueberries
    100g Natural yogurt

Breakfast shake
    200ml of coconut milk
    3 raw eggs
    50g of almonds

Lunch
    150g/200g Chicken/Beef
    stir fry mix of veg
    2 sweet potatoes

Afternoon shake
    200ml of coconut milk
    3 raw eggs
    50g of almonds

Dinner
    150g/200g of Chicken/Beef
    veg
    50g of nuts
    25g of dark chocolate

I am currently 140lb,
    5ft 10in

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I'm not an expert on *intentional* weight gain, but I'd add some more fats and cut waaay back on the almonds. The coconut milk is good fat, but it's the kind that gets burned for energy by the body right after it's consumed. Try for butter, ghee, olive oil and fattier (and more) meats. I'd eat more aged cheese, too.

Basically for weight gain, more fat and even more carbs should definitely help.

And please cut back on the nuts. Or at least have some other kind such as macadamias or pecans. Almonds have too many inflammatory PUFAs.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Uhm, I think you can gain weight by starting to eat about a pound of meat with your meals instead of tiny portions you have now. Honestly, it's a tiny 5-6 oz you are consuming with one meal. Make sure you are eating skin and fat. Add pork to your diet, like pork belly and chops with a lot of fat on them. Throw in some innards. Go for the cheap, fatty bulk cuts of meat, cook them in a slow cooker or in large portions, and just eat to your hearts' content. If you are trying to gain weight, I am surprised you are even bothering with measuring...

And, take comfort in so many people out there wishing they were you. Me included.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Uhm, I think you can gain weight by starting to eat about a pound of meat with your meals instead of tiny portions you have now.
    Truth. If you tolerate dairy well and have access to raw milk, I'd consider that as a temporary measure to gain weight. A lot of people have good success gaining weight a/k/a getting swole by adding a bunch of milk to their diets. As Mark Rippetoe says, milk makes baby mammals grow, and you, sir, are a baby mammal.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Also might replace crossfit WODS with some straight and simple strength work 3x/week with no cardio. I'll echo rich on the milk, and Leida on eating an adult size piece of meat . Seriously? 5-6oz.....no wonder you can't gain weight!

Oh, and for your shakes try using the canned coconut milk that has much higher fat than the carton kind. In fact it may even be called coconut cream. You could also carry a stick of butter around to nibble on

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    How old are you Paul?
    Last edited by abc123; 12-18-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Paul is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    How old are you Paul?
    I'm 29 buddy

Can't take diary guys, also its the canned coconut milk I'm drinking. I guess I should probably just start eating more meat with my meals.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Paul, I also thought the suggestion to look into a specific mass-gaining protocol for your fitness is a very good suggestion. I do not know much about crossfit, but i gather it is boot-campish in style with high frequency of training and intensity. My understanding that it is more suitable for loss sheer mass loss. To target sheer gains you want no intense cardio, just well-being cardio and med-rep ranges, possibly to failure, with limited number of lifts performed and long rest intervals between lifting sessions to enable maximum breakdown and growth.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Cook with more fats and incorporate more calorically dense food into your diet. Eat avocados, definitely add more carbs like sweet potatoes and sweeter fruits (not berries).
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Here's a sample meal for you:

20 oz ribeye
    a pound of potatoes
    a whole avocado

dessert: 2 bananas smothered with almond butter/honey washed down with coconut milk.

repeat that x times a day until you start seeing the scale move and dial in accordingly.

Shit can the cardio, walk a couple hours a week, follow a basic barbell routine and get plenty of sleep.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln