Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insects, bugs, worms, etc... page

lordgrover is offline Member

Exclamation Insects, bugs, worms, etc...

Shop Now
    I feel I ought to vary my diet a little, as Grok may've done. Pretty sure he didn't get organic pastured chicken and grass fed beef every week, nor fresh line caught mackerel either. I suspect insects were often available though...
    Does anyone have any experience to share?
    before I venture out into the garden, I'm thinking of trying one of the on-line sources first, e.g. click.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    You can try if you are brave. I would note though make sure you cook them or that they have been adequately cooked, insects are full of parasites (mostly they carry their eggs), this is how dogs end up with various worms.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordgrover View Post
    I feel I ought to vary my diet a little, as Grok may've done.
    Allegedly ant eggs and woodlice taste a bit like prawns when fried. If you search, I am sure that the method for getting ants to bring their eggs to you will produce a Youtube video.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Are you kidding me? lololololol
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Bugs are ok, but they're hardly enough of a meal for me. I raised mealworms for a while. Decent snack and fun ingredient to cookies. I found crickets to be a bit on the dry side. I have some Chinese water beetles in the freezer that I'm trying to find a good use for.

For the cost of it, and the amount calories you actually get from them, I don't think you could make it a staple.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    If you want to try freeze dried meal worms you can buy them at pet stores, including Walmart and Tractor Supply. They'll be in the wild bird feed section. I add them to my bird feeder's seed mix to attract blue birds.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm so glad you posted this. Hulu just put up two seasons of "A Cook's Tour," from 2002. Almost any of the episodes in Asia, and many in Latin America will show you some neat bug dishes. If you've never seen Anthony Bourdain, try not to be put off by him - he comes off as a schmuck at first, but he's really a big cuddly kissy face. Anyway, it's free, so you don't have to give out your credit card to watch.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

rankamateur is offline Junior Member
    I don't see myself eating bugs, though I know that's just a cultural thing.

I would really like to see someone manufacture an insect based protein powder. I think I could overcome my squeamishness for that, if they were pulverized enough!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rankamateur View Post
    I don't see myself eating bugs, though I know that's just a cultural thing.

I would really like to see someone manufacture an insect based protein powder. I think I could overcome my squeamishness for that, if they were pulverized enough!
    It really is, the United States is in the minority of nations where you can't regularly find insects on the menu as toppings and the like. Boy am I proud to be an American!!!
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I think this is one authenticity aspect of paleo I am perfectly happy to forgo.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast