Thread: Ketosis promotes longevity and healthy ageing page

cyro_349 is offline Junior Member

Ketosis promotes longevity and healthy ageing

Primal Fuel
    How calorie restriction influences longevity: Protecting cells from damage caused by chronic disease

Although the study refers to both ketosis and low-calorie eating, it specifically names βOHB as the factor creating the benefits. Man I'd love to see the full study, take a look at the numbers they got.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    interesting stuff! yeah, all I keep getting is the abstract when I look for the full study too.

bluechip is offline Member
    I assume you might need to pay for the full study. I wasn't able to find it, but found the abstract interesting. Any other papers or topics you find on Ketosis or the like, please feel free to send my way! Always enjoy the reading! Thanks!
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

bluechip is offline Member
    there are other studies out there that are similiar in nature that post the full material free of charge, just requires some googling. I keep finding this topic is under a lot of debate.
    Regards,
    ~ Chris

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    If anyone wants to read more about this the book Primal Body, Primal Mind advocates for this very strongly. She gives some of the same info on her blog here Longevity | Primal Body Primal Mind Diet and Nutrition but the book is more extensive, obviously.

I just finished the book and eh, I dunno. I am more conscious now of eating only when I am actually hungry, instead of when I want.

One criticism of the ape study I've seen is that the low-calorie ape has a low-quality life - he doesn't move around or show a lot of emotion. Gedgaudas seems to be saying that by staying in ketosis 24/7 you gain all the benefits of the low-calorie model without the drop in activity level. By also avoiding fructose, stearates, trans-fats, and other things, and getting adequate aminos and other stuff you will live longer. I'm summarizing, lol.

Since it got republished my library picked up a copy, so it may be relatively easy to pick up to browse.

Chupo is offline Member
    This is a pretty long paper you might find interesting: Glucose Hysteresis as a Mechanism in Dietary Restriction, Aging and Disease

It doesn't mention ketones but burning fat is anti-ageing while burning glucose is ageing. Calorie restriction results in a shift from gylcolysis to β-Oxidation of free fatty acids.

Remember the Okinawans? It wasn't the potatoes and rice that made them live longer, it was the calorie restriction and the resulting shift in fuel burning. Kitavan's, who have a similar diet only have a life expectancy of 75 at age 50. The difference is, they aren't calorie restricted. Wolfgang Lutz lived to be 97 after all. I think his diet had a lot to do with it.

andrewballa is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i think so, great info , interesting stuff! yeah, all I keep getting is the abstract when I look for the full study too.