Thread: What Does 3.2% M.F Stand For On Yogurt Containers? page

DavidLane is offline Junior Member

Question What Does 3.2% M.F Stand For On Yogurt Containers?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On yogurt containers, it says 3.2% M.F or 2% M.F. What do these percents stand for? I was looking for a plain yogurt for my skin as a mask and came down in choosing a brand that had these two percentages on their bottle (3.2% and 2%) Didn't know which one would benefit my skin more. Does anyone know which % would benefit my facial skin more?

Lastly, is there even a significant difference between 3.2% and 2% when it comes down to M.F in yogurts?

Thanks a lot in advance!

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I'd say milk fat. I'd go for higher. Yes, one percent makes a big difference in milk.

DavidLane is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    I'd say milk fat. I'd go for higher. Yes, one percent makes a big difference in milk.
    I had asked this question elsewhere and someone replied saying :

"It was made from milk that had 3.2% butterfat in it, such as homo milk. I make my own yogurt from non-fat powdered milk so it's got 0% M.F. The fats are not a necessary part of yogurt certainly not in your situation as a skin mask."

So it's butter fat? Doesn't seem to be too good for the skin. What do you think?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    It would depend on what you're trying to achieve. I have oily skin, so I use clay when I give myself a facial. Is your skin dry? Then the fat might be beneficial. What are the properties of yogurt that make it good topically?
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    It would depend on what you're trying to achieve. I have oily skin, so I use clay when I give myself a facial. Is your skin dry? Then the fat might be beneficial. What are the properties of yogurt that make it good topically?
    Its acidic (cheap gentle face peel). Its astringent. Its replete w/ microbial life. Uhm, if it does contain butter fat, its good for your skin (ever had butter applied to a burn in the kitchen by your mom?, it works). In India, milk, yogurt & butter fat are used in ayurvedic skin therapies & pancha karma healing therapies. Had them there many times, its very refreshing actually.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I was taught that butter on a burn was akin to putting oil on a fire. But it does make sense that the acidity, etc. of yogurt woud be good for skin.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

tcoop2232 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Uhm, if it does contain butter fat, its good for your skin (ever had butter applied to a burn in the kitchen by your mom?, it works).
    Please don't use butter on a burn. I know this doesn't pertain to the original question, but I felt the need to address this.

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    3.2% means the yohgurt was made from full fat milk. Full fat milk ranges from 3.2 to 4% fat.
    2% yoghurt is made made from 2% or roughly 1/2 fat milk.
    Fat in milk is shown as % of wieght weight as opposed to % calories. Full fat milk has aboout 80 to 90 % of calories fat IIRC.