Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat critique page

JStrick is offline Senior Member

Squat critique

Primal Fuel
    Need some help with my squat form, its been about 5 years since i have lifted so my flexibility is really bad, which i think is causing my back to round at the bottom of my squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmBnc2uQZUE

Danger_Dave is offline Junior Member
    I just had a friend send me this Squat... It looks like you need to keep your back at that natural curve. Try practicing with just the bar, no weight. Keep us posted, you dont want to develop lower back issues (obviously)
    Itís the idea that people living close to nature tend to be noble. Itís seeing all those sunsets that does it. You canít watch a sunset and then go off and set fire to your neighborís tepee. Living close to nature is wonderful for your mental health.

yah after watching the video over and over, right at the beginning when im just starting to go down i round my back out and never correct it.

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah! There is definitely some rounding at the bottom of your squat. Lighten the load if it's too much, man! And nice house...!

Beef Cake is offline Senior Member
    Your feet might be too far apart. The thing I noticed most is that you need to SLOW DOWN. It looks like you are trying to get through the set. Instead, focus intensely on each rep. When you go down, go down slow. Pause long enough to focus on pushing from just in front of your heels and power up. You will get dramatic results if your down time is slower than your up time.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Feet look too wide, but it's hard to judge from that angle, definitely need to work on the lower back at the bottom. Try this:

Get flat on your stomach, put your hands on your head with elbows up, and lift the legs up to, get so your core should be the only thing on the floor really, the position your back and chest are in is what you should get used to. Gotta keep that chest up, and back arched.

Couldn't see if the wrists were straight, but make sure they are, and make sure not to stare up (big mistake)....

Otherwise good job for posting it on here and actually asking for advice, most people wouldn't

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

vmalaika is offline Junior Member
    Also, something else to try.... I was taught to take a deep breath before each squat, and hold that for the whole squat. That'll keep your core, chest, and back tighter. I can hear you exhaling at the top, but immediately you're already starting to go into your next squat. So you must be breathing in as you go down, which might lead to caving in. So slow down, exhale, breathe in, and then squat...

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    The above comments are all valid. If you have some spare $$ I strongly suggest picking up a safety squat bar. I used to squat over 300lbs for my workouts and I will never squat without one. Here is a link: http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/im-0210.html

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    I used to squat similar to you, half way down, chest up, looking up, CW at its finest. Then I discovered Mark Rippetoe and starting strength. He recommends ass to ankles and the glutes getting more involved and moving first. I switched to his style and it feels better on my knees and back as well as more natural. Check out his Wiki site, well worth it.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

awesome feedback guys!! Def. have to shorten my stance, to just outside of shoulder width, like i said i lack flexibility so i need to make sure to stretch those hips out everyday. Mainer, i do have his book and the videos, hardest thing is taking what is on paper and putting it to practice haha. I think the big thing was i just got to ahead of myself, def. need to drop the weight and make sure i can get low in the squat with feet just outside shoulder width.

p.s. primaljessjane, thanks for the house compliment its nice having a big and tall living room to put my workout equipment in lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast