Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How important is this grass-fed thing? page 2

schutejame is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Lots of posts around here recommending eating fat

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Wild fish
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The quality of the fat of an animal that has been exposed to pesticides, antibiotics, and hormones is different the fat from grass fed animals as to vitamins, pesticide levels, etc. One fairly easy way to deal with that is to buy lean cuts of those kinds of meats, trim the fat, and then add back in fats you know aren't as contaminated - olive oil, avocado oil, pastured butter, etc., when you prepare them.

Also, it's still illegal to feed pigs hormones, so if someone tries to sell you expensive hormone-free grocery store pork, they're just yanking your chain. Grass fed pigs (and really pastured chickens) are a whole other animal, and they will be more expensive.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I am not doubting you but what an odd law, no hormone pork but other meats are fair game
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It's not a necessity. Buy and eat the type of produce and meats that you can afford.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Dirlot, I think it all has to do with milk production. BGH was introduced to make the cows produce more milk per cow per day.

That unnatural state led to udder infection (pus in the milk) which led to chronic use of antibiotics.

My use of grass fed for pigs was wrong though, as pigs are omnivores, so I guess there I should have used the terms free range or pastured.

(For some reason, I feel like breaking out into a loud rendition of Born Free.)
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by feren6 View Post
    Like everyone else said, you don't need to sweat it if you can't get grass fed.

But as a student in college, I'm on a pretty strict budget, and I'm able to get grass fed by getting involved in cow shares. I bought an eighth of a grass-fed cow a couple of months ago and I still have a couple cuts left. And it only came out to $7/lb, and included everything from ground beef to filets. Awesome deal, I highly recommend you look around for one in your area.
    Heh that's only $2555 a year for dinner.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    If you're not getting grass-fed meats, I'd tend toward the leaner cuts and MAKE SURE TO ADD PLENTY OF GOOD FAT. So put grass-fed butter (if you can get it) on your lean, conventional steak, or cook everything in as much coconut oil as possible, etc.

But yeah, to echo the others, don't let the fact that it's not optimal stop you from doing the best you can with what is available to you. You'll be way healthier even eating conventional, corn-fed, CAFO beef than you would eating Twinkies and Pepsi.

TuppTupp is offline Junior Member
    I think it's similar buying a car. Sure, you should get the Prius that will get you from A to B and has a great miles-per-gallon value, but right now you only have $500 to spend on a car. You should probably still get the best MPG that you can afford (meaning leaner cuts if grain+hormone fed beef), but a used $500 car can still get you from point A to point B.

The underlying message in all of the articles (and posts) on this site as I understand it is basically "be the best you can be".
    Grass fed, pastured unicorn is probably better than the grain fed beef you have access to right now, but lean grain fed beef with some butter/coconut oil, some veggies and maybe a nice sauce with heavy cream is still better than a sandwich, a pizza or a cookie.
    Last edited by TuppTupp; 12-18-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Where do you live? Do you have a Shop Rite near you?

If you do, I recommend the following:

1.) Shop Rite on occasion carries a "Nature's Reserve" brand of beef. It is grassfed/free range from Australia. About once a month, they have whole beef tenderloin on sale for $5.99-$6.99/lb. I just bought two - one for $5.99/lb that I sectioned into about 20 filet mignon steaks a few weeks ago, and another one for $6.99/lb that I'm saving for New Year's dinner. Seriously, $6-7/lb for grassfed filet mignon...and they have it A LOT. Funny thing is, their CAFO USDA whole beef tenderloin goes on sale simultaneously for $10/lb...I don't understand how that pricing structure works out. The USDA ones are 50% larger and way fattier, too.

2.) Shop Rite also carries flash-frozen pastured Australian AND New Zealand lamb shoulder. It retails for $3.99/lb. They're cheap shoulder cuts but they have the marrow in...and again, pastured...for $4/lb. Often, the fresh shoulder goes on sale for $4/lb...also about once a month.

3.) They also sell a Clayton's Organic brand - it is grassfed and sorghum finished. It ain't corn or soy, so that's a big step in the right direction. They have many cuts in the $5-6/lb range.

Look around at your local grocery store. If you can find deals on lamb, it is VERY easy to find lamb that is a "Product of Australia." Australian lamb is usually free range, or at least much better than US lamb. New Zealand is grassfed pretty much 100% of the time. You can always move to lamb and you're getting MUCH better quality meats.

I believe all US chicken is also antibiotic free? It's always fed corn and soy as a rule of thumb - even if it's organic, and even pastured is supplemented with corn or soy.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast