Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any advice for someone starting CROSS FIT tomorrow at 6am? page

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member

Any advice for someone starting CROSS FIT tomorrow at 6am?

Any pitfalls?
    Any questions I should ask?
    Any bullets to dodge?

Any advice, thoughts, comments?

My weight is stable -- nothing more to lose but looking to tighten things up.

/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Start with no more than 3x/week. Took me MONTHS to get to the point where I could recover well enough to go 4-5x/week, and even then, on the rare occasions I've gone 6 days a week - which is how often my gym is open - I feel very fatigued and wornout by the end of the week.

Wildapple Guest
    What is Cross-Fit?

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    I tried to look up cross-fit using the search engine, but so much stuff came up and I'm still lost, but everyone's talking about it! lol

Good luck either way!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Do they offer an on-ramp program of some sort? I would be uncomfortable with any CF gym that threw people directly into the regular classes.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    My box (CrossFit gym) has a six week "Boot Camp" for beginners. One of our coaches will first do an assessment of a newbie's fitness levels and then advise them where to begin. Our coaches also modify the workouts depending on how long someone has been Crossfitting, if they have any physical limitations, etc.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    CrossFit Canuck - Scarborough, Ontario

Thanks for your input, everyone. Ag my age (48), I'm looking to start 3 days per week and see how it goes. I'm starting their modified programme until I can work up into their general classes. I don't intend to hurt myself -- will likely work at a modified level for the rest of my days. I intend to kick the shit out of some car tires and then go to work feeling primal, alive and fulfilled. :-)
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

schutejame is offline Junior Member
    I would be uncomfortable with any CF gym that threw people directly into the regular classes.

gt1cm2 is offline Junior Member
    Listen to your body, if you feel uncomfortable at any stage which may lead to injury then say something to a trainer and they should modify the exercise to suit you. Also make your focus technique not speed, speed comes later. The crossfit I go to doesn't do a ramp program, you join a regular class but in all sessions they separate out the newbies and those that want extra coaching and do a training class, form is first and foremost before being allowed to do the full wod. And sometimes they don't allow you to do a wod until you get it right.

moonpie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Like others said, start out slowly and allow your body time to recover. A couple years ago when I got into crossfit I got injured because I didn't listen to my body and just listened to the trainers who said come 6x per week. You can't go from 30 pull ups a week to 300 in a week without some sort of injury.

I hope to start at a new crossfit gym soon, but when I do, I will be sure to take it easier, despite all the macho man stuff that goes on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast