Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate my current diet please page

Shane. is offline Junior Member

Rate my current diet please

Primal Fuel
    I haven't gone full paleo as in all honesty I don't like alot of the substitute foods and neither does my partner. We have replaced various items with gluten free organic alternatives though which may not be perfect but I guess it's better than nothing. I do find breakfast is more filling but depending on the day sometimes lunch can leave me abit peckish before evening meal time so maybe some alterations/additions there? Not sure what though as I cannot in all honesty stand sweet potato no matter how its cooked (we tried lots of online recipes)

My diet as it stands is:
    Breakfast: Apple, plain omelette and a whole milk protein shake
    Lunch: Sliced steak with handful of mixed salad
    Evening meals: Usually chicken, pork or lamb with small amount of carbs (gluten free pasta, brown rice or potatoes) and veggies.

After training I have another protein shake and a small handful of organic pistachio nuts. I drink mainly water but when at work I do tend to have a cup of tea with lunch purely because everyone else does.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Are you using one of the calorie/nutrient (on-line) counters? Just wondering what your protein/fat/carb percentages are daily.

/lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

otzi Guest
    My diet as it stands is:
    Breakfast: Apple, plain omelette and a whole milk protein shake
    Lunch: Sliced steak with handful of mixed salad
    Evening meals: Usually chicken, pork or lamb with small amount of carbs (gluten free pasta, brown rice or potatoes) and veggies.
    The diet is sound. I would cut out the gluten free pasta to make it more 'Primal', but it's not the worst thing in the world. You could add in some cheese and most definitely need to add in liver or kidney, bone broth, and lots of fish/shellfish (I know you got them in England...)

Other than that, it's kind of a loaded question. We know nothing about you. If you are trying to gain weight/muscle -- eat more of what you are eating. If you are overweight--eat less. You'll figure it out, but the food choices are good.

feren6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    The diet is sound. I would cut out the gluten free pasta to make it more 'Primal', but it's not the worst thing in the world. You could add in some cheese and most definitely need to add in liver or kidney, bone broth, and lots of fish/shellfish (I know you got them in England...)

Other than that, it's kind of a loaded question. We know nothing about you. If you are trying to gain weight/muscle -- eat more of what you are eating. If you are overweight--eat less. You'll figure it out, but the food choices are good.
    This.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    What are your goals?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    What do you mean substitute foods? Gluten-free products? Those are not intended to be for everyday consumption. The point is to eat natural foods, like fresh produce and meats, nothing that comes in a box labeled "all-natural."
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Cut the substitute crap
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Shane. is offline Junior Member
    Sorry let me add some more detail I am 6ft around 13 stone and have a rough body fat percentage of 20 percent. My goals are to get the same sort of look/build as this:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_icAoiyE7U...Games_2012.JPG

I understand what people are saying about the pasta but tbh we have yet to find an alternative that both of us will eat and I cannot force her into this just because I have chosen to go along the paleo life style myself. By substitute foods I mean sweet potatoe, spagetii squash etc and I haven't done an online counter yet as I haven't been weighing portions only measuring by what looked about right. Rough evening meals will something along the lines of:
    -Chicken breast in mushroom sauce with carrots, mushrooms, green beans and basmati rice
    -Tuna & pasta in bolegnaise sauce
    -Shepards pie with peas, carrots, brocolli, garlic and cauliflower
    -Haddock, Mash & Peas
    -Pork chops, new potatoes and veg

I also tend to do a 16-24 hour fast between Evening meal Saturday-Sunday

Hope I answered everything

Thanks

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Ok, if you want to be satisfied without eating carbs you will most likely need to eat more fat (there are a few exceptions but that is the gerneral rule) If you GF won't/dosn't want to go primal (more fool her) then you are going to have to eat different things, you'll want more protein and more fat than her.

It's going to be difficult, concentrate on breakfast and lunch first as these meals you eat separate. Personally I'd drop the protien shake as I don't consider then real food (just my opionion) and eat more eggs with some meat (un-smoked bacon is sugar free) or home made pork mince or beef mince balls fried up. I'd drop the apple too, it's not a massive amout of carbs, BUT low carb has been show time and again to help fat loss for the majority of people, and how much does that apple really fill you up. If you really want fruit how about some berries and nuts in greek yogert.

Add more meat, pate is good, and some cheese and some more raw veggies to your lunch and then some extra virgin olive oil as a dressing, that will fill you up.

I suppose for dinner if it's meat and veggies you can add an extra bit of meat, leave off the carbs add extra veggies and then add butter for extra fat, but things like chilli and curries are more difficult to make meet to differernt diets.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane. View Post
    Sorry let me add some more detail I am 6ft around 13 stone and have a rough body fat percentage of 20 percent. My goals are to get the same sort of look/build as this:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_icAoiyE7U...Games_2012.JPG

I understand what people are saying about the pasta but tbh we have yet to find an alternative that both of us will eat and I cannot force her into this just because I have chosen to go along the paleo life style myself. By substitute foods I mean sweet potatoe, spagetii squash etc and I haven't done an online counter yet as I haven't been weighing portions only measuring by what looked about right. Rough evening meals will something along the lines of:
    -Chicken breast in mushroom sauce with carrots, mushrooms, green beans and basmati rice
    -Tuna & pasta in bolegnaise sauce
    -Shepards pie with peas, carrots, brocolli, garlic and cauliflower
    -Haddock, Mash & Peas
    -Pork chops, new potatoes and veg

I also tend to do a 16-24 hour fast between Evening meal Saturday-Sunday

Hope I answered everything

Thanks
    Honestly, it doesn't really seem like you are following a primal diet. Have you looked into the zone diet? This may be more up your alley. Primal isn't a weight loss plan but a way of life and a philosophy of eating/lifestyle that optimizes health. If you're looking to lose weight with a moderate/lower carb diet, try zone. If you're looking to optimize health, drop the potatoes (except when you're very active), gluten free products, peas, rice and other grains from your diet. Eat whole naturally sourced foods (ie not protein shakes & sauces you buy in a jar) and limit fruits to once a day. I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast