Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to explain to the relatives!! page

longjogroz is offline Junior Member

how to explain to the relatives!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hello everyone, i'm fairly new to the primal scene & still adjusting. I have no problems with food at home (apart from a tendency to lapse into chocolate!) & the change to paleo eating has made me realise that i do have problems with wheat. I'm looking for a bit of advice or suggestions as to what, exactly, to tell the in-laws! We go round most Sundays for lunch. This week i told them i'd discovered a wheat allergy, & my mother-in-law immediately went on a shopping spree in the "Free From" section of the supermarket & emerged with bags of rice cakes, mushroom risotto & quinoa with red kidney beans. I subtly "forgot" to bring them home with me, but i'm not sure she'll take the hint. Feeling a bit ungrateful... I haven't really been primal long enough or strictly enough to be looking spectacularly fit & lean!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't bother with the explanations, if I was you. However everytime you go to the in laws, take a plate of primal goodies to 'share' !!!!!! which means you can eat till your heart is content !!!
    good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I think that a wheat allergy will take you a LONG way.

Just deal with the wheat free Sunday lunch as a cheat day.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    The funny thing is this: No one will really notice what you eat or don't eat. Seriously! We are so self-conscious and no one really cares what you eat. Put some food on your plate and then swish it around a bit and tell everyone how amazing it was.
    Make sure you eat before you go...voila! No explanations....no questions....no scoffing. Easy peasy.

On a daily basis, I hear from people about their unwanted weight, their health, their high blood pressure..their statins.....I just shut my pie hole because people just want to make excuses for their own poor behaviour. They are not looking for answers or solutions. And if you share one ounce of what you are doing --- they want to tear you apart because they don't have what it takes to be disciplined to lose weight and become healthy. So save your breath and your energy. Wear the baggy clothes for as long as you can and then in the spring -- bam --- bring it out and let them just fricking wonder what happened to you.

Don't look to the world for people to validate your efforts -- they are too busy feeling shitty about themselves and their own shortcomings. Focus on your health, your happiness and and keep doing what you are doing. Because YOU are AWESEOME, YOU are BEAUTIFUL and YOU are RESOURCEFUL. /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    The funny thing is this: No one will really notice what you eat or don't eat. Seriously! We are so self-conscious and no one really cares what you eat. Put some food on your plate and then swish it around a bit and tell everyone how amazing it was.
    Make sure you eat before you go...voila! No explanations....no questions....no scoffing. Easy peasy.

On a daily basis, I hear from people about their unwanted weight, their health, their high blood pressure..their statins.....I just shut my pie hole because people just want to make excuses for their own poor behaviour. They are not looking for answers or solutions. And if you share one ounce of what you are doing --- they want to tear you apart because they don't have what it takes to be disciplined to lose weight and become healthy. So save your breath and your energy. Wear the baggy clothes for as long as you can and then in the spring -- bam --- bring it out and let them just fricking wonder what happened to you.

Don't look to the world for people to validate your efforts -- they are too busy feeling shitty about themselves and their own shortcomings. Focus on your health, your happiness and and keep doing what you are doing. Because YOU are AWESEOME, YOU are BEAUTIFUL and YOU are RESOURCEFUL. /Lu
    Wow Lu that was one fantastic piece of literature. I hope you don't mind but I have copied it to re affirm another day !!!!!
    Thank you
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post

♥ Nuff said.
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa655 View Post
    the funny thing is this: No one will really notice what you eat or don't eat. Seriously! We are so self-conscious and no one really cares what you eat. Put some food on your plate and then swish it around a bit and tell everyone how amazing it was.

On a daily basis, i hear from people about their unwanted weight, their health, their high blood pressure..their statins.....i just shut my pie hole because people just want to make excuses for their own poor behaviour. They are not looking for answers or solutions. And if you share one ounce of what you are doing --- they want to tear you apart because they don't have what it takes to be disciplined to lose weight and become healthy. So save your breath and your energy. Wear the baggy clothes for as long as you can and then in the spring -- bam --- bring it out and let them just fricking wonder what happened to you.

Don't look to the world for people to validate your efforts -- they are too busy feeling shitty about themselves and their own shortcomings. Focus on your health, your happiness and and keep doing what you are doing. Because you are aweseome, you are beautiful and you are resourceful. /lu
    word!!!!!
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

barnesbone7 is offline Junior Member
    The Primal Blueprint.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    louisa, so true

GuitarGrok is offline Senior Member
    I have been primal for about a year, and explained the basics to my parents, and in-laws. My parents have no problems with cooking primal when I am there, or eating primal when the come over to my house. My in-laws are a different story. They always bring bread over, and cakes etc. I have lost about 20-25 lbs since going primal, and am feeling much better than before I was primal. I don't understand why people can't accept what you decide to do with your body. I have no problems with them eating breads, and cakes, I just wish they would stop trying to get me to eat them.

I would tell them that you are eating a clean low carb diet with lots of vegetables, good quality meat, eggs, seeds, fruit, and nuts. Let them know that you are doing it to improve your health, and well being. They might not share your views, but they will see the changes in your physique, and energy levels. Those changes should speak for themselves as to how right a primal diet is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast