Thread: Lifting Straps page

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member

Lifting Straps

Primal Fuel
    I posted this on NF but this place gets a little more traffic:

I jammed/hyper extended the ring finger on my left hand playing basketball last night. This is a common basketball injury and I know from experience that it will likely be swollen/weak/inflexible for at least a couple of weeks. The first think I thought about was "How the hell am I going to dead lift like this!", but of course this is going to affect any pulling exercise where grip is important. I had a pretty crappy night worrying about this but then it hit me, I can use straps! I've never used them before because my grip strength hasn't limited me a whole lot in the weights I can lift.

Here's my question:
    Should I use the strap just on my bad hand and let the grip on my good hand continue to do the work or is it a bad idea to mix it up like this. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to use straps on both hands for a couple weeks but I'd hate to go back to normal and find that my grip got extra weak.

Thoughts?

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I'd go ahead and use them on both hands and then ditch them as soon as you're physically able to. My strength went to the next level once I got rid of straps and gloves and stuff. I'd also keep squeezing things like a racquetball or whatever while you're injured just to mitigate your grip loss as much as possible.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah I see nothing wrong with using it a temp. fix until your hand heals. Beats not lifting at all.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%