Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calcium, sugar and more page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Calcium, sugar and more

Primal Fuel
    I just read about 10 pages out of knifegill's post (about aging). A lot of stuff I had never heard before.
    I did know that carbs and sugar are necessary (when it comes from a safe source), but I didn't think that fat and meat should be limited (even if I eat a lot of veggies to balance it).

Furthermore, I barely eat any cheese or milk, I have IBS and I usually don't tolerate milk products all that well, except goat cheese which I seem to tolerate quite well). Anyhow, I barely get any calcium in my diet, and I wonder how perilous that might be. How can I fix that without drinking tons of milk (raw milk is pretty much impossible to get).

And yams (at least how they're named here: The Difference Between Yams and Sweet Potatoes | Mark's Daily Apple), containing problematic chemicals?, dangerous to the thyroid? I'd really like someone to elaborate on this issue.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Animal flesh is the most nutrient rich item on the plate. Its also quite self limiting (satiating), therefore there really is no need to consciously reduce your consumption. Just choose the fatty cuts and you will naturally tend towards the good fat/protein ratio of about 2/1 by calories. Fill in the rest of your plate with whatever other primal foods float your boat.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Animal flesh is the most nutrient rich item on the plate. Its also quite self limiting (satiating), therefore there really is no need to consciously reduce your consumption. Just choose the fatty cuts and you will naturally tend towards the good fat/protein ratio of about 2/1 by calories. Fill in the rest of your plate with whatever other primal foods float your boat.
    But, but, but, Neckhammer! That's just entirely too straightforward. We need to over-think things more than that!

Zach is offline Banned
    Drlove, you will probably have to look further then the MDA forums to get answers other then the above.

otzi Guest
    Mark Sisson says:

Ultimately, bone health depends on a number of factors – a constellation of nutrition, activity, and various hormone factors. Here are my nutrient and lifestyle recommendations to maximize calcium absorption and overall bone health…

Get your calcium from alkaline-forming foods like leafy greens, nuts, broccoli, sweet potatoes and calcium-rich fish like wild salmon and sardines.

Eat a diet high in antioxidant fruits and veggies. Go low to moderate on carbs to help maintain hormonal balance, and eliminate grains (phytates in grains can bind to calcium and decrease absorption). Reduce caffeine, which can encourage calcium excretion, and limit alcohol, which can decrease bone density and strength over time.

Ensure adequate vitamin D primarily by spending quality time out in the sun and by taking a supplement containing D3 if need be.

Do plenty of weight-bearing exercise to maintain bone density. I’d recommend a combination of resistance training and some impact interval activities like sprints.

Avoid chronic stress. Excess cortisol messes you up. You know that. It also decreases calcium absorption. In my book (coming soon!), stress is a huge reason we see rampant osteoporosis in our society.

If you’re still concerned about calcium intake, you can always consider a good supplement that includes not just calcium but vitamin D3 and magnesium. In terms of additional therapies for those at risk, research suggests that an aspirin regimen can help treat osteoporosis by balancing bone formation and resorption rates. Of course, talk to a trusted physician about these possibilities in your overall treatment plan.

Read more: Calcium for Women | Mark's Daily Apple

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the answers.
    I don't think I can get enough calcium from greens and such, I simply don't eat enough of those (And I assume you need a heck of a lot of those to get along). I don't know about supplementing, I usually try to avoid it, Especially because the calcium level in my blood tests seems normal, but maybe it doesn't give the whole picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But, but, but, Neckhammer! That's just entirely too straightforward. We need to over-think things more than that!
    I know. Don't we always . Otzi does point out some of the good info from Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    Thanks for the answers.
    I don't think I can get enough calcium from greens and such, I simply don't eat enough of those (And I assume you need a heck of a lot of those to get along). I don't know about supplementing, I usually try to avoid it, Especially because the calcium level in my blood tests seems normal, but maybe it doesn't give the whole picture.
    If your blood tests show normal I wouldn't worry. On primal you optimize your absorption of nutrients and how they are used. The k2 in all those yummy fats help direct calcium to where it needs to go. Not to mention what Otzi already stated about magnesium and d3. Then of course don't forget weight bearing exercise to keep bones strong.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    Thanks for the answers.
    You're right in a way - looking at calcium alone doesn't give the whole picture. The thing with calcium is that most easily get enough but because of insufficient vitamin D3, vitamin K2, magnesium, and zinc some of us don't use it well, leading to problems like osteoporosis or vascular disease
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eggshell calcium is a possibility, but dairy intolerance is always a sign of something deeper going on. I recommend reading over Danny Roddy's series on lactose intolerance.
    Lactose Intolerance: Milk Isn't The Problem, You're The Problem — The Danny Roddy Weblog

Muscle meat should be limited, and balanced out with gelatin, due to anti-metabolic amino acids.
    nihil

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast