Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugar...like alcohol? page

fresa is offline Member

Sugar...like alcohol?

Primal Fuel
    So I had this semi-strange experience last night, and I feel the need to share.

I went to a huge family gathering last night to celebrate my uncle's birthday. Now my extended family is not a small bunch, so there was food everywhere. And my grandmother, who is super sweet about understanding my eating habits, made a batch of salted dark chocolate almond bark. Yeah. I haven't had chocolate in a long time, so I thought I would have my 20% and eat some of that. I ended up eating a lot more than I intended, and I was completely wired. I was off the walls loud, dancing around, interrupting people, being majorly extroverted. Which I am not, normally. Everyone kept asking what was wrong with me, since I was acting so bizarre and everyone else was completely fine. It eventually wore off, but then a couple hours later I crashed. Hard. Nausea, headache, anxiety...it was awful. I then realized that both of these reactions are exactly the same as to when I have been drinking. Has anyone else had this sort of experience with sugar? I assume it's because I'm no longer adapted to having it, but I'm wondering if other people feel this way? Is there any link? Or is it just me? I know sugar generally has a strong affect on kids, so maybe this is its adult manifestation? Either way it was pretty awful and I won't be having that much sugar again any time soon!

Earthy Mama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresa View Post
    So I had this semi-strange experience last night, and I feel the need to share.

I went to a huge family gathering last night to celebrate my uncle's birthday. Now my extended family is not a small bunch, so there was food everywhere. And my grandmother, who is super sweet about understanding my eating habits, made a batch of salted dark chocolate almond bark. Yeah. I haven't had chocolate in a long time, so I thought I would have my 20% and eat some of that. I ended up eating a lot more than I intended, and I was completely wired. I was off the walls loud, dancing around, interrupting people, being majorly extroverted. Which I am not, normally. Everyone kept asking what was wrong with me, since I was acting so bizarre and everyone else was completely fine. It eventually wore off, but then a couple hours later I crashed. Hard. Nausea, headache, anxiety...it was awful. I then realized that both of these reactions are exactly the same as to when I have been drinking. Has anyone else had this sort of experience with sugar? I assume it's because I'm no longer adapted to having it, but I'm wondering if other people feel this way? Is there any link? Or is it just me? I know sugar generally has a strong affect on kids, so maybe this is its adult manifestation? Either way it was pretty awful and I won't be having that much sugar again any time soon!
    Sounds like a reasonable correlation to me!
    Earthy Mama's Journal

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" ~ Hippocrates

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you had a sugar high and crash! Little kids do this if they aren't exposed to sugar a lot. I certainly do!

Of course the scientists will tell you a sugar high doesn't exist. Any teacher or stay-at-home mum knows it does. If you were eating chocolate, though, the high could be from the caffeine, too! Or both!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fresa View Post
    It eventually wore off, but then a couple hours later I crashed. Hard. Nausea, headache, anxiety...it was awful. I then realized that both of these reactions are exactly the same as to when I have been drinking. Has anyone else had this sort of experience with sugar?
    They might not work in exactly the same way biochemically, but they seem in some way to be "coming from the same place".

Hence Ogden Nash's line:

Candy's dandy, but liquor's quicker
    Personally, I don't experience them in quite the same way. For me sugar is not much of a temptation -- I just don't care about it -- but a drink perennially is. Nevertheless, I'm pretty certain that they do pull some of the same strings.

Paleobird Guest
    That sounds like sugar plus a major theobromine rush. That is the stuff that is kind of like caffeine in chocolate and is highly concentrated in dark chocolate. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i am sure i have read that alcohol and sugar use the same pathways in the brain. i dont know how true this is as i can definitely sugar addict at times but i have never been that keen on alcohol.

fresa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Sounds like you had a sugar high and crash! Little kids do this if they aren't exposed to sugar a lot. I certainly do!

Of course the scientists will tell you a sugar high doesn't exist. Any teacher or stay-at-home mum knows it does. If you were eating chocolate, though, the high could be from the caffeine, too! Or both!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That sounds like sugar plus a major theobromine rush. That is the stuff that is kind of like caffeine in chocolate and is highly concentrated in dark chocolate. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.
    Huh, it really could be either one. I've never even heard of caffeine in chocolate before, believe it or not. I would've guessed it's the sugar, but caffeine would make a lot of sense too. I have a reputation for having a really strong reaction to both of them. My caffeine exposure is also pretty limited as I only drink green tea, but I do tend to get pretty jittery is I have too much of that. My best friend always makes fun of me for how strongly that sort of thing affects me, he says its like dealing with a child. It's hard to gauge which one though, I've never felt that way before but it's also been probably a year since I had that much of anything like it. But it's interesting to hear that it might be an individual sensitivity that I have, and not a general reaction. Definitely makes sense, but I never would've put it together. Just another thing to be sensitive too, I suppose. Ah well, one more reason not to eat it. Not that I needed one of those

Paleobird Guest
    You might find this interesting:

Theobromine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

fresa is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You might find this interesting:

Theobromine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Very interesting, thank you!

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    If you watch this (and it's well worth watching) Dr Lustig claims that sugar is processed in the body in the same way as alcohol - as a toxin.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast