Thread: "Hormonal acne" a western disease? Indigenous people vs civilized people page

Ally415 is offline Senior Member

"Hormonal acne" a western disease? Indigenous people vs civilized people

Primal Fuel
    I was going over a published study that shows acne being a result of western environmental factors of people ages (15-25).
    But, does this cover the type of acne that most teens during puberty get? And then an adult grows out of?
    Do indigenous people living away from civilization acquire this acne when they go through puberty? is "hormonal acne" normal?

I was also wondering about those common illnesses most children experience such as chicken pox, varicella, measles, etc. Do indigenous cultures experience this as well?
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Ally415 is offline Senior Member
    bump
    My Health and Nutrition Blog
    @ VIBRANTE
    http://viibrante.wordpress.com/

Mamame is offline Senior Member
    No idea, but I will say that my adult acne issues cleared up when I started primal. A few months ago I started taking the hormone DHEA and my acne is back despite a primal diet/very little sugar.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    That's just the junk food age. I can go to Taco Bell right now and buy a whole platter of pus-filled boils if I want. Takes only a day to set up, and close to a week to resolve. It's the vegetable oil, specifically soybean oil. High-fructose corn syrup does it, too. Combine them and it's horrible. My skin gets shiny, I get bloated, etc. I'm not the only one, either. I always watch what people are eating and what their skin looks like.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 12-17-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

treborix is offline Junior Member
    I had my first puberty pre paleo and my second paleo.

I still had nasty spots at times. I would say that primal helped, but it's not the only western environmental aspect. There is a genetic aspect to spots as well, so it's difficult to look to surviving h-g societies for an answer on this one.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I think genetics plays a huge role. I started puberty early, was overweight and ate crap, and never had acne problems.

ali200 is offline Junior Member
    "The idea that hormones are a major cause of acne is a bit of a misconception," says Dr. Moy. "Hormones are the third most common cause of acne, but it is the side effects from your period that cause most of the acne. Increased stress levels, sugar consumption, and lack of exercise are bigger causes than hormones, which can only be treated with drugs.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Sugar would only cause acne through burning through vitamin a due to increased metabolic rate. It is hormonal, in that estrogen promotes keratinization, and vitamin a opposes it. With adequate retinol, one could theoretically control acne.
    nihil

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My daughter had horrible acne. Became a vegan trying to help it for 3 years. It was only the cutting out of gluten that eradicated it completely.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.