Thread: Newbie - Leo page

leoyaus is offline Junior Member

Newbie - Leo

Primal Fuel
    Hello! My first post.

Became somewhat interested in paelo/primal earlier this year.
    Since then, my confidence has grown in the Primal Blueprint direction.
    I'm 55, just under 5'-8". Have gone from 196# down to 148#, with my goal being 146# by year's end. I hit a plateau in the low-150s that I couldn't bust through for months, but have made some progress in the recent days by intermittent fasting (Mark's method, break the fast when truly hungry - no other fixed rules) and by starting shovelgloving.

I quit drinking beer a few months ago for reasons other than diet/health. And, exercise has also just recently started. I liked PB because I was able to shed so many pounds while still drinking and not exercising. Not really as an excuse to drink and sit on the couch - it's just that I noticed it and was impressed.

While I never saw a weight on the scale higher than 196, I'm sure I was over 200# at times when I didn't (care to) weight myself. While I did have excess weight in face, back, and back of arms, nearly all of it was in my gut. My daughter (8 yo) told me I looked pregnant. I had difficulty to cut my toenails. When I looked at my profile in the mirror it was disgusting.

I haven't thrown out my fat clothes yet because I'm saving them for some results pictures props.

My struggles:
    While I don't really cave-in on some former favorite foods, I do still miss them terribly: my homemade pancakes, french toast, pizza, cheeseburgers, ice cream, etc. The non-primal versions. I'm the only one in the house that has gone primal, and I'm the one still buying/preparing these things for the others. So, I'm having to look at these favorites but not eating them - very difficult - temptation right there. I'm speaking to my kids (teens) about going primal, and there's been some progress, but they not ready to make a switch yet. Mainly, they just think Dad is weird. Even though they see my results and enjoy providing me with encouragement and resistance to temptation.
    I also like dried fruits, nuts, and dark chocolate too much. So, while these are "allowed" things, I must remain mindful to pass on these or moderate. It's very difficult.

My eats:
    Lots of bacon, eggs, butter.
    Coffee with butter every day.
    Coconut oil, eaten straight, ever day. Cod liver oil every day (bedtime).
    Multivitamin every day. No other supplements. I am considering to introduce a probiotic. I'm kinda anti-supplement dogmatic, preferring to get the needed nutrients from food. Maybe this is good or maybe I'm just a stubborn idiot.
    I drink raw goat yogurt that I've a source for, but it isn't always available.
    I stir-fry bags of greens about 3 times a week, eat raw carrots and celery daily. A little bit of apple slices every day.
    Berries: mainly blueberries, but also strawberries and blackberries.
    Nuts: walnuts, macadamias. Occasional others including peanuts, pecans, cashews, almonds.
    I eat regular (small red new) potatoes, but not too often. Usually boiled, then buttered, salted, peppered.
    I east sweet potatoes a couple of times a week.
    Broccoli, cauliflower, onions, lettuce, spinach, brussel sprouts, asparagus, cabbage, black olives.
    Apple cider vinegar, sauerkraut, pickles.
    A little cheese, a little milk (raw, when I can get it).
    Dark chocolate, raw honey, maple syrup. No table sugar.
    Blueberry leaf and mullein leaf tea at night, water midday, coffee mornings.
    Occasional juice with my juicer (I hate the clean-up).
    Lots of grass-fed beef, lots of pork, chicken, liver (beef and chicken), salmon, lamb, goat. I don't eat much shrimp, mussels, clams, lobster, but I love all of these. I love all meats from all animals, including offal.

I cook everything myself. No fancy recipes. I use a griddle (frying) and cast iron (frying and braising) cookware mainly, and the oven (roasting). I steam a lot of veggies just a bit - great color and crisp.
    I use thyme, basil. cumin, nutmeg, mace, and some others.
    I'm not much of a cook, but my kids like what I make and it tastes pretty good to me. It's not hard when you're using bacon fat, butter, onions, salt & pepper; it seems to make food taste pretty darn good.

I have two chickens that lay, but not enough for our consumption.

I'm virtually grain-free now... except for some single-bite cheats (leftover bite of pancake, one cookie, etc.) coming from being in the family kitchen. Parents with non-primal kids may know what I'm talking about. I'm sure if I lived alone I could be perfect. I do not eat any bread, pasta, rice, corn, oatmeal, etc. Before, I ate these all of the time.

Other than occasional intermittent fasts, I only eat when I want to, as much as I want to, have no set meal times, and am rarely hungry. I do make regular meals (hot breakfast, cold lunches for school, and hot dinners) for the kids that I harmonize with my PB diet as much as I can (and to sneak-in primal eating for the kids without them knowing it).

Goals:
    Try to live longer.
    Get stronger.
    Trust what I'm eating (less finger-crossing over time). Know more sources better, or grow/catch/gather myself.
    Avoid illness and disease.
    Look better.

Since, my goal of 146# seems imminent, I plan to keep going and get the weight further down, the body fat down, and begin to work more on composition. Longer-term, maybe bring the weight back up a bit, keeping good composition?

I hope to share a success story with photos sometime in the future.

I've learned a lot from the blog and forums. I hope to be able to begin giving back soon. Thus, this first post.

Thanks to all, Leo

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks, leo. great post. my story is identical to yours except im an empty nestor so no cookies or pancakes in my kitchen. starting crossfit in jan. cheers, lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.