Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a primal tribe page

valmason01 is offline Senior Member

Building a primal tribe

Shop Now
    As I have said in other posts I am more introverted than extroverted. I like people and enjoy spending time with others but somehow I never seem to make lasting connections outside of family. And while I love my family it is more of time spent helping them than just having friends and enjoying other's company. We have all discussed the need for socialization. People who are married live longer and have less illness', apes who are extroverts live longer than the introverts (thanks for that one Mark!)

So my question would be: How do you build a primal tribe? I use primal because that is the lifestyle I gravitate to more and more and it makes sense to me that you build a tribe with like-minded people. Thoughts, ideas, practical suggestions??
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Valmason - I suppose in a sense we are constantly building a "tribe", on this forum. We tend to listen to, and gravitate towards the people who motivate us, support us, constructively critique us..... and its interesting who we spend our time with.
    A tribe has to made up of introverts, extroverts, the movers and shakers, the socially inept, the thinkers, the ditsy etc....
    I can honestly say i come under ditsy, extroverted, lack of confidence etccc.... but I would hope that I would be wanted in someones tribe for my hardworking, story telling, creative abilities - so I don't always think that like attracts like, its possibly more about a compliment thing.
    An introvert compliments an extovert, because this enables the later to yabba on, a deep thinker maybe compliments a ditsy person, and so on.
    Now to answer your question - how do you build a primal tribe - I would think that its trial and error. I would think, that if we actually met some of the people who we have indepth conversations with on this forum, they might not be worthy of ours or we of their friendship. So maybe you just throw people together and hope for the best ???????
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Smile..I think sometimes I make things more complicated than they are. I guess for me it is a question of even finding a way to get out and meet people in order to build the tribe. There seems to be a lot of posts today about socializing, maybe because it is something we all think about during the holidays. It makes me think and try to find a way to create what is missing...

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    This has been my mission since...forever. Everytime I manage to build what feels like a nice little tribe, usually it disbands because I and/or the others pick up and move. Very frustrating.

I find myself living in a new city, looking to make those connections, and feeling frustrated that everyone else seems to already have their community set up and I'm as usual the outsider looking in.

I hope you get some good answers...I could use help with this, too!

My dad has always said, don't take 5 minutes to make friends, if it takes a year - so be it.
    He also reckons that a great way to meet people is joining a club that you are interested in. If you love knucklebones - find the local knucklebone club, if you enjoy walking the dog - get that mutt down to the beach every day !!!!!!
    2 1/2 years ago we moved away from my safe little group of friends, and when you do not have children at playcentre, school or high school - it becomes really hard to infiltrate a community.
    DH is fine, because he has his new career, has joined the Lions, and also the local golf course - however me on the other hand have found it really hard.
    I often have people around for meals, DH contacts, but we don't always get invited back - so since going primal I can't be bothered with that. And I don't mean that I gave up after once or twice either.
    Its christmas time, so maybe you put a wee flyer in all the mailboxes on your street, inviting them to a pot luck BBQ, or BYO street drinks and nibbles. You arent paying for it all then - you are just supplying the front yard, or the gas for the BBQ.
    Do you belong to a gym ? great place to have a coffee with someone after a session.
    good luck with your quest -
    Gwamma

...small steps....

Do you belong to a gym ? great place to have a coffee with someone after a session.
    good luck with your quest -
    Gwamma
    GWamma...thank you. I am actually considering joining a gym just for this purpose. And phigment and I are meeting for supper this week...a good start!

And I hear you BB. I moved to where I am now about a year ago. WHile I have met some very nice people through work they just have their own life. And so many people are married w/ younger kids. I am single and my son is 25. Even before though I just had a hard time connecting. I feel like I am relearning how to be a social person...
    This has been my mission since...forever. Everytime I manage to build what feels like a nice little tribe, usually it disbands because I and/or the others pick up and move. Very frustrating.

I find myself living in a new city, looking to make those connections, and feeling frustrated that everyone else seems to already have their community set up and I'm as usual the outsider looking in.

I hope you get some good answers...I could use help with this, too!

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Sadly I can't attract like minded people, I mean I've got tons of contacts, tons of people that pay their respects to me etc but none that really share the bulk of my views on things.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Exactly....or at least people that are willing to accept as is. People get very defensive about their beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Sadly I can't attract like minded people, I mean I've got tons of contacts, tons of people that pay their respects to me etc but none that really share the bulk of my views on things.

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmercer View Post
    Ryan mercer - is it about people sharing your views or is it about listening to the others views, begging to differ with some things, and actually accepting them anyway ?????

...small steps....

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    You have to define a tribe successfully, because everyone has a different idea; I think that tribes are made by sharing rhythm and chemicals in an environment of cooperative aggression resistance.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast