Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: costco olive oil help? page 2

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Sadly, it seems that some (many/most) of the largest producers & resellers from Italy are the main culprits. Like coffee, there are cartels of sorts, limited numbers of select peoples who amass & often mix oils for overseas redistribution & resale to other larger buyers who put their own labels on the product. This is the main problem. Where & when there are opportunities for maximizing profits with little or sometimes no oversight, the inevitable happens. As it has been happening w/ Italian olive oil for too many years, just like here in Hawaii w/ "100% Estate Kona Coffee" selling for big bucks to the end users. The issues (in my estimation) are not only lesser quality olive oils in the mix, but the other cheap PUFA oils detected too upon broad analyses. Are there good, reliable, pure sources for the beloved OO? Sure of course, even exported from Italy. I personally stick to lesser countries like Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, Greece etc & I buy from reliable sources, & personally I mostly buy organic OO. Costco brand is one of them, all TJs OOs & any certified organic imported or any west coast 'family-owned' domestic OO is reliably high quality. 100% pure unadulterated OO has a taste & an aroma that many/most cannot identify w/out 3rd party verification. Buyer beware.
    Last edited by Betorq; 12-16-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    wait, which costco olive oil are you guys advocating? We used to get olive oil in a large plastic (not dark) container from costco until I told my mom to throw it out (smelled funny) ...

is there a costco brand in a dark container that i'm not seeing?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    From the research I've done since reviewing this thread it appears the Costco brand you want is the organic version. Unfortunately it comes in a clear plastic bottle so you need to check the dates and wonder how long it has sat in the light on their shelves. As I said, unfortunate they chose to package it this way as this may be the easiest for most of us to buy. I have no idea what stores sell CA brands around here. Have to do some digging around.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Also, at Amazon, a search of California Olive Ranch gets more than 20 hits, but the link was too long and wouldn't post here.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

The Spanish Arbequina was AWESOME. But our store sold out before I could stock up...

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shep68 View Post
    From the research I've done since reviewing this thread it appears the Costco brand you want is the organic version. Unfortunately it comes in a clear plastic bottle so you need to check the dates and wonder how long it has sat in the light on their shelves. As I said, unfortunate they chose to package it this way as this may be the easiest for most of us to buy. I have no idea what stores sell CA brands around here. Have to do some digging around.
    Correct. The Costco here sells so much so fast, it's like a sped-up commercial on tv where they zip around @ high speed. For such a mellow, slow paced place, they sure do take Costco shopping seriously. If the clear plastic is an issue for you, try what I've done: reuse the old amber glass bottles from other OOs &/or refrigerate the majority of it for safe storage & keep the small stuff in the cupboard out of the light & away from stove top heat. Just me, myself & I, 1/2 way thru a big container of it & the org coco oil I bought there several weeks ago...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    wait, which costco olive oil are you guys advocating? We used to get olive oil in a large plastic (not dark) container from costco until I told my mom to throw it out (smelled funny) ...

is there a costco brand in a dark container that i'm not seeing?
    I have "tested" that olive oil and it never solidified in the fridge. I knew something was up, the color was all wrong. I'll never buy that olive oil again.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    Well we just hit the Costco near us today and lo and behold they had California Olive Ranch EVOO. Two big dark green bottles for around $12. Score! Also found those salmon patties somebody mentioned in another Costco thread. Double score!

waterjen is offline Member
    All -
    Finding quality and true olive oil is difficult enough. But I'm looking for the light-tasting but pure olive oil to use in making homemade mayo. Does anyone have any advice or favored brands for that purpose?
    Thanks in advance.

cathytkerns is offline Junior Member

cukken creek olive oil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, we like it and bought 6 bottles (1-liter/bottle) from Costco, OR several months ago. The one we like is extra virgin and Less than 0.5% acidity. it was $6 per bottle. However, Costco doesn't have it any more, instead, they sell Kirkland (their brand name) for $12/bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    I stumbled upon this brand of olive oil at Costco -- has anyone used it before? It's called "Cullen Creek" olive oil.

Cullen Creek Olive Oil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast