Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are you ever your own Santa? page 4

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Very sweet, but I placed my order already.
    Sweet and self-serving in the "I need to declutter" sense. I have 1qt, 3qt, 6qt, 8qt, and "huge" conventional pressure cookers. They're all fairly modern with the 6 and 8 qt models being the fancy dual pressure spring release models...and since getting the electric I rarely touch any of them. The 3qt now has a dual fuel camp stove stashed inside and is in a disaster kit along with some #10 cans labeled "FOOD" in block letters. The 1.5 I use for sauces. The "huge" is for canning (something I used to do/haven't in awhile). I used to have 2 8qt pots but I gave one to a friend.

Question on knives. I have a couple of fairly decent knives and thought about going with just one of those sharpeners that looks like a stick with diamonds etched into it to see if I can sharpen them up a bit and use them 'til they die. Would that work? (I can always give myself good knives for my birthday come spring.)
    If the knives are fairly sharp now, the best thing you can do is head to a restaurant supply or asian grocery store and look for the longest steel they have. Should be under $20. Alternatively you can get ceramic steels. You do not want diamond for this because it removes way too much metal. Basically what you are trying to do is smooth out/straighten the tiny burr on the very edge.

If the knives are dull, a diamond sharpener (if we're talking about the same thing) is probably overkill but it totally depends on you. I have a miserable time getting an edge I'm satisfied with, freehand. On the other hand, I've grown accustomed to very sharp knives. A lot of people hand sharpen knives and are totally satisfied. A lot of people have dull knives too. I tried to learn it, thought I was good, and then got a kit like this: Amazon.com: Lansky Deluxe 5-Stone Sharpening System: Sports & Outdoors and realized I wasn't. Mine actually has diamond hones and cost a little more but same idea. Or pay someone to sharpen the blades once a year or so.

I would stay away from anything that has a slot or gap you drag the blade through, powered or not. They usually suck.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Yes, we just bought Dominion as a family gift, to the family.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Penady is offline Senior Member
    I buy myself at least one gift every year. Sometimes that's the only way I get anything I actually want.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Dehydrator
    Food Processor
    Shipment from US Wellness

Do you give yourself gifts during the holidays? I kind of accidentally started this for myself as a young woman one year when I bought myself a black cashmere sweater while I was shopping for my other gifts for others. I also heard something once that stated, "Give yourself a gift every day," and it's a philosophy I like.

This year, my list is pretty much kitchen, because after living here for a year and a half, I've decided that though I can create some pretty good things with my barebones set-up, I want to expand my repertoire a bit.

Deep fryer (yes frying is okay, I searched the blog)
    Good knives (and sharpener)
    Cast iron pan
    Immersion blender
    Pressure cooker (because I have the patience of a gnat and want to start getting serious about bone broths).

So, any other self-Santas out there?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I've gifted to myself several times and have done so this year. I bought myself an I am The Stig t-shirt off the BBC America site.
    Georgette

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234