Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you ever your own Santa? page 3

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Gray cat I have private messaged you the answer. Very naughty !!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Have you stopped lovin them urban forager?

I love Talking Heads and have only ever seen TomTom Club on the Stop Making Sense Video.

I equally adore David Byrne and Tina Weymouth.

I had to restrain myself from buying 2 TomTom Club CDs.
    I still love them I just forgot about them I'm going to have to listen to them on you tube because I don't have any of their music. I think David Byrne is brilliant. I go through phases where I have to listen to Talking Heads, lately it's been Remain in Light.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Last year I got myself an ebook-reader for christmas. This year I am on a tight budget, so nothing for me from me. But I still enjoy and love that ebook-reader!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Yes and no. If I happen to get something close to Christmas, I say it is for me from Santa. Most recently, we just got into Sons of Anarchy so got all 4 seasons at Best Buy (yal ebay would have been cheaper, but when one season was over, we just couldn't wait, we had to go get the next one) and then I wanted an exercise deal for about the same money, so I justified it as SAMCRO was "your" Christmas, and this can be mine. But then later, I ordered 5 sets of the temp-tations for gifts, so I got another one for myself, as I wanted one last year but held off.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    In a round about way...

We have figured out that when we buy gifts for the kids, it's really toys that we want (all our "at home" kids-18, 5, 3) all got RC cars and trucks.

Plus, on black Friday, Big 5 was having a sale on Fila Skele-Toes ($30!!!), so we went and picked up a pair for me, but wrapped them for Christmas.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    so I justified it as SAMCRO
    Hello gopintos! What is SAMCRO??

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    In a round about way...

We have figured out that when we buy gifts for the kids, it's really toys that we want (all our "at home" kids-18, 5, 3) all got RC cars and trucks.
    I'm chuckling, because we do some of this too! Hubby has gotten Hex Bugs and the various track/habitat sets for them (robotic bugs, seriously!) for the past three years, but all of us practically beat him up to get access to them. He is a good sport, though, knowing full well that he will have to share... In past years he has gotten an RC Mercedes Benz, Webkinz pets, LightBright sets, Hot Wheels cars and track, and LaserPegs. The huge Erector Set box will be his this year, but shhhhhhh - don't tell him.

You might be thinking that these gifts are lame for a mid-40's guy, but my man loves playing with his girls, truly. It is one of the things I really love about him. And if he has some cool stuff (hey - my girls love cars and building sets and all that along with the dolls), then the girls ask HIM if he wants to play, and that works out all around - making memories.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Hello gopintos! What is SAMCRO??
    It means Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club, Redwood Original Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We got hooked. Only show on TV that I really like to watch, Have to watch. And I don't understand why. I guess it must be that inner bad girl thing or something, or good girl/bad boy thing haha
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    Kinda. Gotta say a couple things first though...

1) electric pressure cooker. I love pressure cookers and have been using them (to make broth amongst other things) for decades. I have several regular pressure cookers. Send me your address and I'll send you one. You can't, however, have my electric pressure cooker. You can't have the electric I gave my parents either.

2) Standard knife sharpener + good knives = bad knives. Seriously, you are better off with a steel and paying others to do real sharpening. The exceptions are very high end $400+ electric sharpeners, fairly expensive ($50+) manual jig sharpeners as sold by lansky and a few others, or lot of skill and some whetstones. I have some good knives and I'd consider using them on someone who passed them through the average "knife sharpener".

Now that I have that out of the way.... I do, usually. I think for single/living alone people like me it's basically inevitable. I don't, nobody will. This year I haven't really been in a gifting/holiday spirit so I've only bought one ($20ish) gift for my parents, and nothing for myself or anyone else, but most years I get myself one thing I wouldn't normally buy. Sometimes I end up "regifting" my autogifted items though.
    Very sweet, but I placed my order already.

Question on knives. I have a couple of fairly decent knives and thought about going with just one of those sharpeners that looks like a stick with diamonds etched into it to see if I can sharpen them up a bit and use them 'til they die. Would that work? (I can always give myself good knives for my birthday come spring.)

I'm loving all of these answers. We have to be good to ourselves!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Yes and no. If I happen to get something close to Christmas, I say it is for me from Santa. Most recently, we just got into Sons of Anarchy so got all 4 seasons at Best Buy (yal ebay would have been cheaper, but when one season was over, we just couldn't wait, we had to go get the next one) and then I wanted an exercise deal for about the same money, so I justified it as SAMCRO was "your" Christmas, and this can be mine. But then later, I ordered 5 sets of the temp-tations for gifts, so I got another one for myself, as I wanted one last year but held off.
    Yeah, me too. All four seasons are on Netflix. My problem is that when I find a series I like I burn through it fast. I like to watch in bed before I go to sleep. Lately I've been watching Burn Notice, which fortunately has a lot more episodes.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    This thread just made me realize that it's the 17th and I have not bought a single gift yet.
    Not for me, and not for anyone else.

I like this.
    It's been such a nice relaxing year.
    Unfortunately I think I'm supposed to be doing something else.
    Dammit.

**edit: I have now purchased a gift. My year has been officially ruined. But I feel good that I made it to within a week without dealing with this side of the crap. THIS is my least favorite (read: most hated) part of the "holiday" season.
    Last edited by cori93437; 12-17-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast