Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you ever your own Santa? page 2

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i get myself things when i feel like an emo kid, sooo i guess so
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Not so much at Christmas, because I never know what someone else is getting me. Around my birthday, on the other hand, I'll buy myself all sorts of stuff.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Kinda. Gotta say a couple things first though...

1) electric pressure cooker. I love pressure cookers and have been using them (to make broth amongst other things) for decades. I have several regular pressure cookers. Send me your address and I'll send you one. You can't, however, have my electric pressure cooker. You can't have the electric I gave my parents either.

2) Standard knife sharpener + good knives = bad knives. Seriously, you are better off with a steel and paying others to do real sharpening. The exceptions are very high end $400+ electric sharpeners, fairly expensive ($50+) manual jig sharpeners as sold by lansky and a few others, or lot of skill and some whetstones. I have some good knives and I'd consider using them on someone who passed them through the average "knife sharpener".

Now that I have that out of the way.... I do, usually. I think for single/living alone people like me it's basically inevitable. I don't, nobody will. This year I haven't really been in a gifting/holiday spirit so I've only bought one ($20ish) gift for my parents, and nothing for myself or anyone else, but most years I get myself one thing I wouldn't normally buy. Sometimes I end up "regifting" my autogifted items though.
    Last edited by Him; 12-16-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    No. But only because I am an impatient thing and I get stuff throughout the year, for myself and for others, just 'cause I can never wait until Christmas, so I don't feel much pressure on me to come up with serious goods at Christmastime as I have treated myself enough through the year. Also, I have always downplayed the material aspect of this holiday here at the house, in the interest of keeping us all humble and focused a bit less on the loot Santa might bring, so it feels a bit hypocritical for me to buy stuff for myself in December. With the possible exception of an anniversary gift as hubby and I were married in December, but hubby usually gets called off on a business trip at this time of year and then we both forget.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I'm my only Santa :/
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Yep. This year it's a pair of RL leather knee high boots. High heel too. Just how selfish and non-primal, lol!!!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I started doing it years ago. Wrapping up a gift for myself and putting it under the tree. The first time: "Oh, look, there's something here for me! And it says it's from me!" You should have seen the kids faces. Hilarious.
    I do it because I want to open something I really like.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Not really, because DH demands that I be pretty explicit about what I want for Christmas, so I get a couple of things I really want. Occasionally I'll run into something smallish while shopping that I could use and I'll buy it, but that's no different than the rest of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    As to the actual question, not usually, no. This year is the first year I've been on my own and I don't expect any presents from anyone else ... so I did by myself a small something. I don't know if I'll make it a yearly thing or not but it was nice. Still, I'm going to miss opening presents on Christmas day ... alas, growing old some things must go by the wayside.
    You're at an age where there might be a Christmas lull, but you'll marry and have kids (if that interests you) and then Christmas can be whatever you and your SO want. "Santa" fills stockings for me and DH, as well as the kids. The kids are 21 and 14 and "Santa" still fills stockings. The 21yo will pick up a little something for his little sister's stocking and likes to help me fill it, even tho he wants me to fill his stocking after he's gone to bed, lol. Once you have your own family, you and your SO can create whatever Christmas magic you want.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Yep. This year it's a pair of RL leather knee high boots. High heel too. Just how selfish and non-primal, lol!!!
    woohoo Graycat !!!!!! you know what they call those over here in N Z !!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Primal gwamma, i've got not a clue, but you spiked my curiuosity. Lol! Mine are almost conservative looking, though. Not the patent leather, over the knee kind

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast