Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Will depriving kids of sugary treats make them fat adults? page 4

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think it varies a LOT person to person. All three of my kids were fed the same. All are grown now at 26, 29 and 30. All are very slim. I considered anything with sugar a treat, that they had when I felt like giving some. Going on outings etc always would get treats whether it be candy, ice-cream, dessert, candy floss...whatever. I also baked things like rice pudding, mini proper homemade cupcakes, apple pies, trifles, that sort of thing. usually for weekends. I kept simple bought cookies in the house, not the big creamy ones but more like English tea cookies, that they would munch on. Not overly sweet. Sometimes had English candy in the house too, but couldn't too often as I tend to binge on it myself...ooops!

They always stayed the same with their desire for it though. My youngest couldn't get enough candy/sweet things....still struggles with limiting it, has to be firm with herself. My middle one also loves candy but not to the extent of my youngest. Maintains a size 0 despite a GF SAD diet. My eldest, eats candy and dessert on occasion, but it has to be a good one and wouldn't miss it much. As kids with Hallowe'en candy it was pretty obvious. I didn't restrict it, they could eat what they wanted. My youngest would have hers eaten in a couple of days, middle one within a week or two and my eldest, you would find it in his drawer a year later as he had forgotten about it. I, and my husband were brought up the same. We both struggle with a sweet tooth, him more that me even, for me it has to be good, not the packaged nasty cakes. We both have struggled to keep our weight in check but neither have be very large. Last year I gained more than I had ever gained before fixing it. Been a constant struggle gaining and losing around 20lbs yo-yo over the years. All down to sugar.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    As kids with Hallowe'en candy it was pretty obvious. I didn't restrict it, they could eat what they wanted.
    When my daughter was in high school, she and her girlfriend decided to go trick or treating again. My daughter was petite and could have passed as a child, while her friend was a strong, chunky-looking girl.

After they got back home, they were talking on the phone. Her girlfriend said that her mother was going through her bag looking for tampered candies before letting her have the bag. My daughter turned to me and said, "You never did that. Don't you love me?"

I said to her, "I spoiled you by always only buying really expensive top quality candy, so I knew you would never eat any of the old, stale, cheap candy that people give away on Halloween."

She looked at me with horror in her eyes, realizing what I was saying was true. "You ruined my childhood!" she wailed.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    When my daughter was in high school, she and her girlfriend decided to go trick or treating again. My daughter was petite and could have passed as a child, while her friend was a strong, chunky-looking girl.

After they got back home, they were talking on the phone. Her girlfriend said that her mother was going through her bag looking for tampered candies before letting her have the bag. My daughter turned to me and said, "You never did that. Don't you love me?"

I said to her, "I spoiled you by always only buying really expensive top quality candy, so I knew you would never eat any of the old, stale, cheap candy that people give away on Halloween."

She looked at me with horror in her eyes, realizing what I was saying was true. "You ruined my childhood!" she wailed.
    Hah!!! I didn't do the fake stuff often, but when I went away for a week at one point, Hubby bought one of those huge Costo shelves of them and let them go bananas. I wasn't impressed...... also there were the nasty sugary cereals like choco bits or something. He was read the riot act.......big kid himself.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I remember hearing that the more kids are exposed to sweets as a child, the more they will be "adapted" to sweets as an adult, and therefor more likely to eat junk.

The only thing you want to avoid is making kids feel like they are deprived. Teach them that although they may want candy and sugary things, it's bad for them, and that even though you may not feel pain, you're hurting yourself on the inside.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosnic View Post
    I remember hearing that the more kids are exposed to sweets as a child, the more they will be "adapted" to sweets as an adult, and therefor more likely to eat junk.

The only thing you want to avoid is making kids feel like they are deprived. Teach them that although they may want candy and sugary things, it's bad for them, and that even though you may not feel pain, you're hurting yourself on the inside.
    My 3 y.o. already makes a difference between "what feels nice in the mouth" and "what feels nice in the belly". When he eats wheat bread with his grand-parents (not often at all), he definitely knows that what's gonna come out in the other end will be awful. So now, he is not thrilled about it. Since we never have wheat based foods at home, it is not even as appealing as it could have been (when not hooked, wheat taste is overrated ...).

As far as candies, the only thing he wants is xylitol chewing-gums.

My 20 m.o. daughter is not into sweets, she is what we call a "carni-baby": loves meat, sausages, fish, French rillettes, liver, eggs (not meat but), and mostly animal products.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    It's a no win situation in the US.

Most kids don't get a choice, everything in their environment is loaded with sugar. By the time they are grown up and can make their own choices they have already been permanently damaged, and need to dig themselves out of that hole.

The rare few that grow up in an odd situation that somehow prevents them from getting sugar...once they break free they gorge themselves on sugar.

In the end people eat what's there, and what's there is sugar. Everywhere, unavoidable.

I'm for it being illegal to sell foods to kids containing sugar. The dumb thing people say is "but that limits our choice", but really kids in the US have no choice currently.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234