Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 50-ish, incredibly healthy and here's three reasons why page

  1. #1
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394

    50-ish, incredibly healthy and here's three reasons why

    Shop Now
    I have several secrets to my excellent health.

    I have been on and off paleo since the late 1990s I guess. Tried Calorie Reduced but hated being hungry all the time and losing so much weight.

    Tried "low fat" and that was horrible.

    Atkins, Protein Power, and finally Paleo. With a year or so of IFing with the Warrior Diet.

    Then I started grinding my own grains and making bread, but then I went back to paleo about six months ago. And that is where I'm staying.

    I don't cheat much and have no difficulty sticking to paleo. My only cheat is some white chocolate (I am intolerant of real chocolate. White chocolate is cocoa butter, sugar, milk solids and vanilla bean, so it isn't chocolate at all, but the fat is chocolate fat which I think is very healthy.)

    Currently I take no medication, am close to my ideal weight (although I could lose a little bit) and have an amazing wonderful life, in every respect. Blood pressure 115 over 72 just now, heart rate 60, and I don't get a ton of exercise (could do better in that) but I am consistent with some running and whatnot.

    Lately I got a stand-up desk so I stand most of the day every day instead of sitting, which is REALLY cool.

    One secret that I have employed is related to breathing, kind of a natural breathing method that restores the function we are intended to have and that makes most people much healthier. I think it's more important than what you eat.

    Another secret is a fantastic sex life. I make love with my partner of over 25 years maybe 4 times a week for 30 minutes to an hour. And we have an extremely close and loving relationship due to a lot of cuddling and snuggling in between. This is a recipe for complete happiness in my book.

    My purpose in being here now is to get some social support for getting back to intermittent fasting. I think that the longer I put off having my first meal of the day, the better I feel.

  2. #2
    mark h's Avatar
    mark h is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Diego,ca
    Posts
    22
    I like what you said and are doing. Personally I do not fast though. Every few days I just eat light for a day or two. This perks me up. Maybe this is a type of fasting? I always eat an early breakfast though. I am in my fifties but luckily have always been thin and athletic.
    Keep it going, Mark

  3. #3
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by mark h View Post
    I like what you said and are doing. Personally I do not fast though. Every few days I just eat light for a day or two. This perks me up. Maybe this is a type of fasting? I always eat an early breakfast though. I am in my fifties but luckily have always been thin and athletic.
    Thank you. I do love breakfast lol

  4. #4
    leoyaus's Avatar
    leoyaus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    I'm near your age. I'm 55.
    I do IFing without much difficulty and like Mark's method (few, if any, rules). See:How to Implement Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

    I have trouble with dark chocolate. It's hard for me to stick to a single piece.

    I'm in a temporary office for my work. My partners and I have purchased a building that's being remodeled now. We're getting new furniture. While I do not intend to order a standing workstation per se, I do plan for some provision for standing while working.

    I'm interested to know more about your breathing. Can you advise more.

    Unfortunately, my sex life is grinding to a halt. Going into a divorce after 20 years. Long story. Not my plan. Guess I'll have to replace that aspect with something else.

    I, too, enjoy good health, and hope to get a few more decade out of this carcass of mine.

    I drink coffee during fasting. It seems to help. Do you? Coffee in morning - extending past noon, then water, then tea or water at night.

    While I do not take food, I will take tablespoons of different things during the fast: coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, cod liver oil. All paced several hours away from one another.

  5. #5
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by leoyaus View Post
    I'm near your age. I'm 55.
    I do IFing without much difficulty and like Mark's method (few, if any, rules). See:How to Implement Fasting | Mark's Daily Apple

    I have trouble with dark chocolate. It's hard for me to stick to a single piece.

    I'm in a temporary office for my work. My partners and I have purchased a building that's being remodeled now. We're getting new furniture. While I do not intend to order a standing workstation per se, I do plan for some provision for standing while working.

    I'm interested to know more about your breathing. Can you advise more.
    Most of us are not getting enough oxygen to our tissues. This causes a lot of health issues including mental and physical problems that are plaguing many folks. Natural breathing is diaphragmatic breathing. And natural healthy breathing is 4 to 6 liters of air per minute, while most people are in a state of constant hyperventilation, breathing 2 or even 3 times that much air.

    You can learn more at sites like normalbreathing.com, which is very good.


    Unfortunately, my sex life is grinding to a halt. Going into a divorce after 20 years. Long story. Not my plan. Guess I'll have to replace that aspect with something else.
    The physical side of snuggling and daily bonding activities with a partner cannot be over stressed. It just has to be experienced to be understood and believed. Once more I think it is one of those things that is so simple that people just miss it.

    And it trumps almost anything else. For instance we don't argue because we can't have a serious argument. It just isn't possible given our closeness. And it isn't communication skills or techniques that make that work this way. It's that we are so close and bonded with all that oxytocin going back and forth.

    Oxytocin makes you seem, feel and act much younger, just to return to this thread subject. My wife looks years younger and I think I do too.

    I, too, enjoy good health, and hope to get a few more decade out of this carcass of mine.

    I drink coffee during fasting. It seems to help. Do you? Coffee in morning - extending past noon, then water, then tea or water at night.
    Yes I do sometimes. I am mostly a drinker of fine teas, mostly Chinese. I find a bit of caffeine helps for fasting.

    While I do not take food, I will take tablespoons of different things during the fast: coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, cod liver oil. All paced several hours away from one another.
    No I don't do this. What is the benefit?

  6. #6
    leoyaus's Avatar
    leoyaus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Most of us are not getting enough oxygen to our tissues. This causes a lot of health issues including mental and physical problems that are plaguing many folks. Natural breathing is diaphragmatic breathing. And natural healthy breathing is 4 to 6 liters of air per minute, while most people are in a state of constant hyperventilation, breathing 2 or even 3 times that much air.

    You can learn more at sites like normalbreathing.com, which is very good.
    Thanks! I'll check it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    No I don't do this. What is the benefit?
    Psychologically, you're getting "something" during the fast. Nutritionally,the value of whatever you're taking (or, usually take).

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •